Favorite Period in Art History?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Favorite Period in Art History?

oook, so after doing several hours of image cards for my art history class i decided to start this thread. I want to know what everyone's favorite period in art history is. Is it Ancient Greek? Romanesque? Medievil? Or do you simply not give a darn about the history of art?

My personal favorite is Greek. I feel that the beauty of the human figure hasn't quite been captured like the masters that sculpted famous works such as the Venus Di Milo, The Scraper, or the Warship Nike did. Plus the Ancient Greeks had a profound influence on almost all western architecture produced sense their time.

I thought this might be an interesting topic seeing as we're all "artists" here, and to see how many of us appreciate art's history. Sorry if there has already been a thread on this.

Last edited by Toxdel; February 24th, 2008 at 04:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Probably Renaissance.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxdel View Post
    oook, so after doing several hours of image cards for my art history class i decided to start this thread. I want to know what everyone's favorite period in art history is. Is it Ancient Greek? Romanesque? Medievil? Or do you simply not give a darn about the history of art?

My personal favorite is Greek. I feel that the beauty of the human figure hasn't quite been captured sense the masters that sculpted famous works such as the Venus Di Milo, The Scraper, or the Warship Nike. Plus the Ancient Greeks had a profound influence on almost all western architecture produced sense their time.

I thought this might be an interesting topic seeing as we're all "artists" here, and how many of us appreciate art's history. Sorry if there has already been a thread on this.
    You mean Hellenistic, and the scraper is a roman copy of a greek statue, like many of the things we associate with the greeks.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the present, we've got the most stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @BuckWeisel- actually the scrapper is considered late classical ancient Greek but your right about the Roman copy thing, its a shame that most of the original works were lost because they were supposedly even better then the copies made by the romans. Hellenistic is a sub-category of Ancient Greek, but probably the strongest of the ancient Greek categories. I'm a fan of Ancient Greek as a whole though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm torn between now and the renaissance. The Renaissance because the art was new, pure, amazing. But now because your art doesn't need to be part of some form of religion like it did back then.

Overall I think our time period sucks, but we are exposed to so much, each of us can go any way possible with our style. There is almost no limit.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im strongly drawn to the fluidity of Art Nouveau, and the structural linearity of Art Deco.

I like those periods a lot. I also pretty fascinated with the intricacy of baroque art work but am more drawn to the architecture than the paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now is a pretty good time in art. With the invention of the internet, and the ease at which people can access information, trends, and techniques can be transfered fast. We are also seeing less location specific styles of art for the same reason. Its becoming more of a simple question of time rather then location. Sad thing is that most of the famous art right now is abstract stuff and there is a good chance that when art historians of later years look at this period the thing they will probably focus most on is the trends in abstract art; probably over looking most of the effort that got put into entertainment art such as concept design.

-ya never know though, maybe mediums will expand and a large mention of digital work will develop in art historians essays.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now. there's a whole lot of cool stuff happening now where everything goes, but nothing's taken for granted cuz the shackles of modern/postmodern idealogy are gone. a good time to be an artist!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah but in 20-30 years well look back on this time and recognize it as the age of digital fantasy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxdel View Post
    @BuckWeisel- actually the scrapper is considered late classical ancient Greek but your right about the Roman copy thing, its a shame that most of the original works were lost because they were supposedly even better then the copies made by the romans. Hellenistic is a sub-category of Ancient Greek, but probably the strongest of the ancient Greek categories. I'm a fan of Ancient Greek as a whole though

Helenistic is not a sub catagory of ancient Greek. It is an entirely different and distinct period of history. The ruling people though they would have called themselves Greek (much like the Bizantine empire still called itself Rome) where not Greek. And the ruling system was completely different we saw imperialism instead of seperate city states and democracy.

And the Venus di Milo is helenistic. It was sculpted my Alexandros of antioch on the meander.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked the 40's - 50's era.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ashkitty - My textbook considers Hellenistic art to be a period within the Ancient Greek period, right after Late classical. It could I guess be considered an entirely different entity due to the dramatic changes in sculptural motifs presented in the era. And yes, the Venus Di Milo is indeed Hellenistic but I don't recall saying it was anything else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like right now too, although the old masters of the Renaissance and the Dutch Golden Age of painting (Rembrandt, Vermeer) are my favorites.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Hudson River School. Not sure that qualifies as a period per se.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Weimar, and the period right before...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're talking about gallery art, I like the 19th century. Impressionism is nice, and I think romanticism is pretty interesting. I like looking at academic renaissance art. It's mysterious, it looks like some way of thinking that is probably lost now. They had a vision of ideal forms which doesn't seem to exist any more, or if they do exist they're not the same. Same thing with the ancient Greeks and Romans.

But if you consider things like film art, modern times are pretty good. I don't think I can pick a decade I like best, they all have strengths, except maybe the 80's.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.