Sketchbook: XSsithi's sketchy sketchings

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

XSsithi's sketchy sketchings

I've stalked a number of art sites over the years and have always loved viewing sketches and preliminary art. There is a great deal of raw energy that gets left behind from the sketch to a final polished piece that is very alluring to me.

I am always learning, and like in school you are driven to succeed and improve by the people around you. I believe that this is a great online community that achieves that same feeling of being surrounded and inspired by other artists even if we shall never meet in person.

I look forward to being more than just a stalker of these pages but a contributor not just with my art but with my own perspectives, suggestions and encouragement for my fellow artists such as yourself.

The images in this batch of sketches I did after poses from http://www.posemaniacs.com/ Just found this site today after following a link from someones page. I love this thing haha. Getting to sketch models from points of view you could never achieve in a studio is awesome .

But anyway, as you can see I am not really fast enough to draw the complete form in 30 seconds. I get distracted into details to quickly- which has always been a problem for me.

Second image with the set of 4 poses was done in 90 seconds... still get distracted haha.

Last set of sketches is from the negatives part of that site. I found this to be a lot of fun working up the opacity of my images and erasing to get my hard edges and adjust shapes.

If people have any suggestions or crits awesome, I am also always looking for more site references and what not it is all good!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by XSsithi; March 1st, 2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to XSsithi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 636 Posts
    Well hello thar! Great you started a sketchbook, can't wait to see your progress!

Poses are looking good, show us some anatomy studies and color stuff as well And have a look at Yoitisi's island in the mentoring section. The guy's got some kickass line exercises over there, those will definitely help you.

Keep it coming!

Thanks
    That shadows sketches are your best, I find the first ones incomplete. Try to do the entire figure until you get used to it.

Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    algenpfleger: Thanks for stopping by, I love watching your sketchbook. I have a couple anatomy books so maybe tomorrow I will kick out a couple studies. Color is a little more of a problem for me o.O but you never improve until you keep pluggin away at it. Today I also did some floating around the mentoring threads. There are some really good exercises in there, in fact I did a small one today from a landscapes thread.

Ian Miles: Thanks for the suggestion. I know it will take me a while to get used to the time constraints, maybe dropping them for a little bit or going for two minute sketches would allow me to have enough time to finish the pose before I moved on to the next one... as I got better I could easily drop down to the 90 second pose and so on.

Well today was a putzing day for me, sketched some. Tried to do an environment drawing but I am not good at them so I basically walked away and came back to it a million times over the course of 2 hours... not much to show but eh.. I have to get better at them I think before I really start to enjoy it. So first image is based on an image ref from this thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=115932 meant for color studies... I am using it for both colors and landscapes of sorts.

Second group- 4 poses from pose maniacs, the third one really did a number on my brain on how the pose should really look because sometimes those 3d renders do weird things to their bitmaps o.O. Anyway and last two on that image are without reference. I think I typically have a pretty good idea on the body as a whole but I need to do some hands/arms and feet/legs.

So for tomorrow- additional color studies, hands/feet, and try to kick out another 5-10 poses.

Last edited by XSsithi; February 27th, 2008 at 12:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 636 Posts
    yeah, you are actually keeping it up! that's great. poses are looking delicious there, more of those please?
    and make sure to show everything you do (like the environment stuff) so we can see your progress

Thanks
    algenpfleger: Yep trying to keep it up get a little something every day. Maybe not mass amounts but I hope to always show something. I thought I had had the environment one attached but must not have worked out so I fixed my previous post.

This one is from the dynamic hands book... I don't think I am as good sketching from a book's drawn images... o.O but anyway here they are for the 26th.

By the by... if anyone has suggestions for scanning my sketchbook pages I would love to hear it.

Thanks
    Ahh, I see you do some Hogarth like me, actually the same studies like the ones I posted in the end of 07.

Alright, looks good man, keep on posting!

Thanks

Still plugging away :D

joaKimArt: Thanks for stopping by. I saw them on your thread and they looked really good. I have to say it is a lot harder for me to sketch other people's drawings vs a live figure or model =\ oy silly books haha

So not much today, three poses and a bird with some color

Thanks
    hey man nice start here
    i like your dedication to studies, good for you! the quickness and gestural aspects of your drawings are nice but also try to take your time and get things right
    keep up the good work

Thanks
    just words of support since I am in no position to crit..
    keep posting!

Thanks
    nice studies keep posting:))) and thanks for the pose site:)))

Thanks
    dadushin: Thanks for the suggestion, maybe my next stuff I will try to produce as accurately as possible... we will see if I have the patience for it haha.

JPC: Thanks for stopping by and for the support!

we4er: Thank you and I hope the pose site is of good use to you It is all about helping each other find those resources haha.

Face on top was referenced sorta from: http://saturdayx.deviantart.com/art/...eet-3-78361405
    And the rest are pose maniacs negatives once again.

Thanks
    only one image today. Wasn't highly motivated to do much at all so here you go. Round one of the themed art challenge (tac) over at deviantarts digital chat today. the theme was your worst nightmare. I've always been afraid of death and normally any nightmare with people I know/love dying is pretty brutal

Done in Sai, about 20 minutes time.

Thanks

Brush work

Just playing with some custom brushes that I will be using in a project for my school.

Thanks
    a photo eye study. Looks not a lot like the eye... seems like that always happens, I start out with a reference and as a draw things slightly off I decide to just go with it and adjust the rest of the image to follow what I changed. Anyway, colors look to saturated...

Thanks
    Nice studies going on here. I do a lot of those gesture drawings from posemaniacs too. If you want to avoid getting caught in details I suggest you to keep working on say 30 sec poses. After each session put all the drawings in front of you and and try to figure out where you are going wrong and what you need to look for next time so you can get the whole pose in that short amount of time. I highly suggest you to get your hands on Glenn Vilppu's drawing manuals and/or video's for this stuff. He also has some articles online I think.
    As for your more refined drawings, you need to pay more attention to construction. practice drawing lots of cubes, cylinders and spheres in perspective. When drawing more complex forms, try to break them down into a combination of this simple volumes and pay carefull attention on how they fit one into another. Each volume has to occupy it's own space. Again, Vilppu has a great method for this. I hope you can get something out of this. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    oy been a while since I updated last, I will be better after my midterm tomorrow

some pose maniacs and some eyes, one semi realistic and the other anime like.

Thanks
    fantastic anatomy studies, I'm sure you'll improve a lot!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.