Looking for direction

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for direction

Hey you all, it's been a while. Been a while since I swung by CA. How you been?

I got some new work I'd appreciate some critique on if you don't mind . There's no particular problem I want help on. I've been generally stuck lately on real improvement and self-critique is leading me in circles. The one thing I've been trying to push is to stop making "characters floating in space" pics:

Looking for direction

...and start adding environments. Such as they may be for now.

Looking for direction

I'll be postin' more later. Thanks for taking the time, guys!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off I like your inking it is very clean and you shadow blocks are pretty good that was something I never really mastered.

On the first pic the proportions of his legs compared to the rest of his body seem slightly off but the heavy shadows could be playing tricks on my eyes. Also the figure seems to be vertically squished like the ending of an old B-rate martial arts movie, unless that is what you where going for.

The second one I like a lot better. The proportions are more dead on except there is something funny with his folded arms. Once again great block shadows, line work and I like where the composition is headed on this but I would suggest falling back to the golden triangle rule and complete the triangle or more specifically add more to it. The positions of their head leave for a wide opening for a golden triangle so I would suggest maybe a moon or a sun or something in between the umbrella and the top of the tree.

Hope this helps.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First - I love powerful darks, very 40's and 50's comic style!

You seem to be at the 'ARGH' stage - everything's so damn close, that it becomes harder to find the 'not it' spots.

Things that are a little off - to me, it looks like the hands and feet are just a touch small(not enough to scream, just enough to say 'off'), and the poses are really stiff. IMO, the weakest part of the pieces is the stiffness of the characters, it holds them back from feeling alive more than any niggling problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies . I'll keep it in mind.

And, uh, what's a Golden Triangle? Google is giving me tourist destinations...

Ah, also, another pic for the chopping block.

Looking for direction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, probably not the best person to critique, but on the second picture, a hand seems to be missing. The arm to our right (his left arm) dips under the other.... But then the hand seems to just... disappear. It might be that it's hidden behind the forearm that crosses it, but it would be a pretty strange pose. Most people tend to put the hand of the underlying arm against the upper arm that crosses it... If that makes any sense...

Also, the foot of the lady sitting on the marble object seems a bit lost in the whiteness of her robe. I'm referring to the foot pointing down. It somehow attracts the attention and doesn't seem to be quite right. I can't exactly put my finger on what's wrong though, sorry for being the one to point something out without suggestions on how to fix it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffu View Post
    Thanks for the replies . I'll keep it in mind.

And, uh, what's a Golden Triangle? Google is giving me tourist destinations...

Ah, also, another pic for the chopping block.
    Tensai is right but I always found the wikipedia explanation rather hard to understand however I often give critiques on Deviant Art as a thread I do kind as a community thing I do. Anyways this is how I explain it to them.

I use the Golden Triangle rule which was used by the masters of the renaissance and which in part I judge a picture’s composition by, as well as contrast, color use and over all creativity. The rule follows that you have 3 parts, figures, objects, or elements that create more or less a right or isometric triangle. It is a little bit like playing connect the dot with an imaginary line and the parts of the picture being the dots, no actual line is drawn. This triangle can be repeated many time over and over again for increasing complex pictures but with a strong composition. Other triangles can be used but cause a weaker composition.

OK, first off this rule is also known as the golden rule or the golden triangle. So lets use these two pictures of mine to illustrate. To start off first take a look at the position of the heads and hands in both pictures. You will notice that they form a link to each other in the form of an imaginary triangle, what this does is create balance for the eye. However using elements just from one figure isn’t always the answer but by using other objects that have some kind of strong element for the picture can be used in this way as well. Details of an object or a person can also create balance in this like in the human face where the eyes, nose, mouth and ears create all sorts of triangles. The stronger mathematically correct a triangle is (like Right and Isosceles triangles) the stronger the composition but close enough works just as well.

Well that is pretty much how I understand it and use it and it seems to create good balance. Hope that helps.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I think I get it. Thanks for the demonstration, that's raelly enlightening . I'll take that into consideration for future pieces.

Before that, here's another two I already have done.

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

These are the last two I made from this batch. Thanks again for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the very last one very cool design. While it has a little off balance in the composition it is not terribly so as you do have some balancing issues. I think the rule of 2/3rds would of been of great use here in this piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to watch your light source. You seem to be using shadow blocks wherever they look neat or conveniently hide a difficult part of the form as opposed to where they belong. You consistently cover at least half of the face with shadow. You have some very nice graphics, and interesting costume design. Don't hide it from the viewer.

One more question: why does the guy with one sword have only one leg?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice inking, exquisite details

my favourite is your third pic

a couple o crits on your second tho. both on the lady with the umbrella.
    we should be seeing part of her eye, otherwise it makes her face look too long. quick fix ... lower the shadow to cover more of her face.
    her lower foot, big toe problem. it's too skinny and bent a bit strangely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eep. Sorry guys, didn't see those last replies. Thanks for commenting!

I think the rule of 2/3rds would of been of great use here in this piece.
    Okaaaay, here I go again. Rule of 2/3rds?

You need to watch your light source. You seem to be using shadow blocks wherever they look neat or conveniently hide a difficult part of the form as opposed to where they belong. You consistently cover at least half of the face with shadow. You have some very nice graphics, and interesting costume design. Don't hide it from the viewer.

One more question: why does the guy with one sword have only one leg?
    The other leg is supposed to be behind the lit one. The black shadow on it's top is supposed to be it's top. It looked clear in my head but didn't translate so well to the pic.

Thanks for the costume compliment. I've been trying to work on that lately. It's a relief to see it's being noticed .

On shadows, I tend to cover the eyes because when I start working out shadows it always comes up that the face would be darkened one way or other. I've left it lit a couple of times and it looked really odd to me. Not sure how to compromise those two things yet.

And, since I'm already bumping this from all the waaay back here's some new pics. Just practice though.

My feet and eyes yoinked from the Reference board:

Looking for direction

People from the Reference board:

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Aaand, I've started working my way through an anatomy book:

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gosh how much time did it take you to do these anatomy studies?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took me a few days altogether since I have the habit of getting up and wandering around a lot while I draw. Individually, the muscle pieces took a few hours each .

Here's some more from the last few days--

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Heh, kinda made that last one a bit lopsided. Heheh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Must take a while to hook those up, it's getting downright creepy in here. What are you preparing for, just practice or thinking about an illustration project of some sort?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, love your anatomy studies.

I think a lot has already been said, but I just wanted to add something small that I've noticed.

The feet you drew, both from the reference board and in the first pic are very masculine looking. while feet are odd things and come in many shapes, women feet tend to look a bit different, smaller and less square. Also, I don't think you got the lightning totally correct on the woman's feet in the second drawing. for her right foot, the heel shadow is going in too "deep" on her feet, it should be smaller. For her other foot, the part-under-the-toes is sticking out too much, giving the foot a "bent" look and the first toe is quite long.

Also, considering the swordsman with the merged legs: if two of your black areas are touching each other, you could leave a very thin white line in between, provides perspective. It's not really completely correct but maybe it's something you can try?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cout: hey man . No, it's not for a project. I'm just trying to push myself. I'm heading back to college soon and am determined to get good. I've been piddling around too long. Heheh.

industrellect: okay, thanks I'm working on another non-anatomy study. I'll keep those comments in mind.

Here's some more. I think I may have uncovered a habit of making heads lopsided here. Hmm...

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Looking for direction

Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.