Sketchbook: Azospin`s journal ~ Update No 20 "transformer" ~ March 9th

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Azospin`s journal ~ Update No 20 "transformer" ~ March 9th

Hello!

Now this is the starting point for my journal. I plan to use it as a place to show more or less (rather more) finished pieces of series, that I will post then later in the finished section as a whole, as soon as they are complete and other stuff I am working on, but maybe won`t show in the finished section, so I produce a lot but rarely sketches. And like all the others here I am looking for substantial and profound critic on my work, the same as I will give as far as I am able and willing to.

Here now the first two small pieces out of one of my first colored series, so I worked for about 7 years more or less exclusively b/w, to develop and explore the possibilities of constructing diverse forms out of single lines, circuits and cycles. I think it is always good to concentrate first on the lines before you go into colors, ... wouldn`t you agree on that. For the moment I work with a quite small scale of colors. Will I keep it like that? Do not know... time will tell, as Bob said.

Thanks for visiting

joseph

P.S.: I like this place a lot and hope you will like my comments and work too, although I am quite aware of, that at least my work is a little bit from outside. ...

Edit 2008-03-02: So English is not my mother-tongue I`d ask you to blame it on me when encountering difficulties in understanding my texts. I try to improve, not the least by hanging around here.

The works shown are ink (ball-pen) and markers on paper, original size is 19 * 12 cm (7,84 * 4,72 inches)

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Azospin; March 9th, 2008 at 04:07 PM.

"We all are groups", Gilles Deleuze

My journal
    My finished

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's very precise thats all can say for now.
    post some sketches?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 1

Sketches?

Well, I am afraid I can not come after that wish, ... not that I was too shy or would not want to show sketches, it is simply impossible, due to the fact that these do not really exist. I usually do not sketch, means I do draw pencil-guidelines for long straight lines, circles,etc,of course, but I do not sketch the whole figure in one. I develop these figures in a way line by line or in layers resp. "orbits".

But I will give an example in form of a drawing as attachment (is part of the series mentioned above), which is in a quite proceeded state, but not finished in regard to the lines/figure/scene, so the guidelines I placed are still to see. The main figure is constructed out of two circuits, means two single lines, that close together in the end, but will be complemented by several "smaller" ones, mainly circles. Then I choose and start with colors.

It is a rather large file so that the pencil-lines can be seen. Original size is 43 * 28 cm (16,83 * 11,02 inches), tool is a ball-pen (ink).

Last edited by Azospin; February 24th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 2

Another so far finished piece of the series. Maybe define a working title for this series? Let`s call it "Messier 104".

Title(s) of this sheet could be

- "Maybe a good place for an orange planet?"
    - "Flying sepulture"
    - "Is that perhaps a near relative?"
    - "We are now in position to grab it, Sir...."

I will see to choose one, although I personally see no need in doing that, so I do construct my figures concurrently from several points of view like architecture, sci-fi, biology, physics, mythology, religion and philosophy. Not, that I would be firm in all that subject areas, not at all, but I have an eye on them as far as my time, interest and first and foremost my ability reaches.

But maybe you have a favourite? As maybe a lot of people I do not have a problem with finding matching titles, but it is always hard to choose ONE. Gallery guy:" You have to choose one, better short and clear title. People expect that!".... brrrr

original size is 28 * 18 cm (11,02 * 7,09 inches), ink (ball-pen) and markers on paper

Last edited by Azospin; February 25th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 3

Another almost finished sheet for "Messier 104"

Possible titles:

-"Hush-hush: Gaya is in easy circumstances tonight!"
    -"We take tea on the patio, Herbert!"
    -"As soon as one god thinks he is the only one all the others die laughing"

.....more will follow I suppose/fear.

By the way: I might have a problem with my scanner/display, so the FARBABFALL (german), the difference in color-intensity is increasing... would not be a surprise, so that stuff is not the best.... you know poor artist, how romantic, aaah.

Green, blue and brown is not jet fixed on paper. Makes sense for the moment, but depends on the development/evolution of the whole series, whether I choose them finally.

original size is 29 * 29 cm (11,42 * 11,42 inches), ink..... etc.

Have fun, and never go outside without a towel, as you all know for sure...

Last edited by Azospin; February 25th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 4

Well, I do not pretend that I can draw in a way most of those here around can. How could I. I can`t draw. But nevertheless a pencil, in my case a ball-pen, is my favorite tool, so I think I can handle it in my way. To my understandings I "write", when I do works like these below, which are "written" in one take and very fast, without any correction or addition. Whenever I start to draw, I fail. But I think, that sheets like these have in a way a "load", that makes them worth showing even here, where people can draw.

What do you mean?

Last edited by Azospin; February 29th, 2008 at 06:13 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is unusual and quite fascinating, Joseph. It seems that you have great patience, and a clear focus on what you want to achieve, particularly with your geometric designs.

There's nothing else for it... I'll need to give you five stars : )

Keep up the excellent work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks a lot man, you made my day, I mean my night, my Saturday-night... was yet a bit insecure about me posting here, means I feared that my focus, which is indeed the rather specific geometric part of my work, might be a bit too, negatively spoken, narrow.

Had a quick look trough your sketchbook and had to laugh out loud several times.... will have a closer look soon, so there are these relief-designs fascinating me in particular... but for now, ... Saturday!

Last edited by Azospin; February 25th, 2008 at 07:14 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 5

Back home, 4 a.m., had some martinis, time to post some work........

They have something in common. These specific four "contain" problems I work on. That is good!

Have a great time,
    joseph

Last edited by Azospin; February 25th, 2008 at 07:15 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 6

These sheets shown are in a way experimental, so I started to work in this direction just some month ago and these are some examples of the results so far.

I use deckle edged paper, draw and engrave the designs, complemented by cycles cut out of felt, then I pour or trickle thinned ink on them (or douse them as a whole) and then (with a straw) "dose" the thickness of the ink resp. the color strength over the period of drying, by air, with a straw. In addition to ink I use also materials like sugar, salt or even spicery to receive highlights (and aroma....). The idea of engraving, which is central, was inspired by etching, a print-method I started to work with/learn about it in 2007.

In a way this kind of working sometimes gives me the feeling like me being an old alchemist running danger to go nuts...... emerge, Lord of the Darkness!!!,.... like that.

The contents criss-cross more or less superficially somewhere in-between sci-fi, mythology/mysticism and fairy tale, like most of my work does.

Hope you like it,
    joseph

Last edited by Azospin; February 27th, 2008 at 07:39 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 7

I think he is raw, and in a way I envy him, so he did live maybe without any moment of ennui..... I sometimes have the feeling, that most of us believe that humans, that lived long before "our history" began just did hang around starring at the fire, waiting for the splendid future to come ..... Can you imagine how suspending, full of permanent tension life must have been in truth, when guys like him did run on earth!

Last edited by Azospin; February 25th, 2008 at 07:15 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 8

This piece is form 2004, a period I did a couple of these long stretched designs. At that time I did still work without any kind of pencil-guidelines ..... obvious. Looking at it now it appears rather awkward and instable to me... maybe would not want to be crew-member on that "ship"....would you? At least as long as the mission is more important than to fly to planet Ibiza...

Original size is 70 * 32 cm (27,56 * 12,6 inches), ink on paper

Last edited by Azospin; February 25th, 2008 at 07:16 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your geometric designs...you seem to be quite fascinated by shapes
    and how they link together..
    one questions..have you never had any interest in drawing anything else?

I like what you have done, dont get me wrong. just curious...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You are absolutely right: I am fascinated by shapes and their linking together. But to answer your question: Aside from works like in update No 4, which I do produce copiously, I rarely do "other" drawings. Not, that I would not be interested in, I am, is one of the reasons me hanging around here... to see for example classy figurative drawings; it is more my lack of talent/experience in this respect.

Nevertheless, from time to time, I grab a pencil, a rubber (or two ) and a photography of a person, last was a portrait of Willem De Kooning, and try to draw naturalistic.... maybe just to not forget how difficult this is. The results... well, aside from these not being stored at this place, I will maybe wait a while before I blame myself,.... but I will do, when time is ripe for.

Nothing wrong about being curious, thanks for asking for that.... is an important point!

Last edited by Azospin; February 25th, 2008 at 07:16 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 9

One of the first moments, maybe the first ever, the major-line "left" format to come back in .... still a single line then?

original size is 42 * 29,7 cm (16,54 * 11,7 inches), ink on paper

Last edited by Azospin; February 25th, 2008 at 07:17 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update No 10

I was asked to show some sketches and said, that I do not have of that ilk(post #3). But in way, that was maybe not precise. I make versions of certain subjects and I "plan" my geometric drawings (not all of them, depends on the subject). How? Please forgive me, but I just can`t explain it by words. But I can show examples....

The unfinished design underneath is the actual state of a drawing, from which I plan to make versions of till I got at least a large version (about 200 * 120 cm, 78 * 47 inches) in color. The first sheet is a "plan", which is, like all good plans, overworked permanently and goes along with the development of the original drawing. The subject is a quite traditional one. The mother and her child. This particular sheet here will (hopefully) be a "Throne of Wisdom" in the end.

Last edited by Azospin; February 26th, 2008 at 01:02 PM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 11

Some fast ....

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your skechtbook, especially the more finished pieces in your other thread. Your geometrical designs are nice and well planned, i would love to see some more of these works in color. Maybe you could try some different colors, and you could play some more with the composition of your works, try to make them a bit more dynamic the most of them are a bit static. A more intresting composition will make your work pop more out.
    Just keep experimenting and keep doing your own thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 12

Weavel: It is fine, that you like my sketchbook, but your advices..... how to express, well, aren`t they maybe given a bit overhasty? Not that I would not agree in any point you mention, I should try different colors, I should play with the composition and I should try how to make them more dynamic. But: Could it be, that you do underestimate the quite specific problems that appear trying all this within my central approach of constructing figures on the base of a one-single-not_crossing-line? I did.

But at least I can come up to your wish to see more colored ones quite easy and fast, in comparison to the other points, I am afraid ;-)

The color-piece shown today is another so far finished part of "Messier 104". A possible title could be "Cooling unit installed!"
    Original size is 28 * 18 cm (11,02 * 7,09 inches), ink and markers on paper

The b/w is an older one, which always reminds me to "Kill Bill" .... "the wood has to fear YOU and not the other way round"..... hopefully this is dynamic..., just kidding.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 13

This piece is the first of a new series about leadership in general.... might change the color of the eyes maybe, but for now it will stay like this till I got more of them.

Points out the problem of precision, so the filling with black color brings out every little unsteadiness of the linework.... a true problem, so I need plain black color for composition.... seems, that there will be no other solution, than to get more precise.

original size is 19 * 12 cm (7,84 * 4,72 inches), ink and markers on paper

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 14

These two are sort of keys, that is what I am sure about, but I have no idea for what kind of locks .... couldn`t "apply" them yet ;-)
    In regards of style they are another version of my general approach, one-single-closed-line, but with crossing in this case.....

By the way: "If we knew how free we are, we would explode"... forgot who said that, but he is true, I know... I remember his voice.

joseph

Original size is 42 *29,7 cm (16,54 * 11,7 inches), ink on paper

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 15 "haunted"

This sheet is a single line about fear..... nothing more to say.

Yes, I can keep it short too.....

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    absolutely nuts!
    very refreshing work,i love them to bits.
    very good also is the sheer variety of marks in your rougher sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 16 "war"

Littleman, thanks a lot for your kind words, in particular for giving attention to the rough works. "Variety of marks" is also a matching term to describe them, so they are in a way a accumulation of versions of this element ...............................................
    Azospin`s journal ~ Update No 20 "transformer" ~ March 9th

Today I show some thougts (Gedankenstriche) on war... about the faceless soldier and refugess/captives

Last edited by Azospin; March 1st, 2008 at 07:17 AM.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 17 "counterweight"

A conceptual sheet about gravity, useful, at least in my world.....

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is very interesting, and it's reminds me many different feelings or experiences. It make me think about tribal art, cave paintings, psychedelic experience, tattoo, but also to the infinitely small things : looks like some microscopic views!
    Very inspired and inspiring work!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 18 "basics part one"

Clochette, naming my work inspired and inspiring is a big and heartening compliment, thanks for that. You also mention a whole range of topics my work reminds you to, thanks for that also, so the opportunity arises to spend some words on that and to again neglect a piece of advice saying that the first an artist has to do is to stop talking :

As yet mentioned, my whole work centers in and on the simple black line in its specific manifestation as cycle/circuit. To draw a cycle is maybe the oldest/easiest/only and not to forget an intercultural way to display/illustrate and "see" infinity in our finite world as humans, although the cycle can so far not be described (mathematics: pi) or defined (philosophy: ?) precisely/exhaustively/totally. Short: Anybody understands, what a cycle means, but nevertheless nobody could say, what it is, so the cycle stands for the unfathomable itself. That fact is as simple as complex, so thinking/learning about the cycle itself and its importance for/in human world/history opens a field of aspects, that is (like its subject) poetically spoken shoreless. The field I try to concentrate my attention on in that purpose is - aside from art, which is the active part - for sure philosophy, but although I explore that area not only since yesterday I could not say, that I could reach up to more than an overview till now, so the list of philospohers, that did think/write about or in cycles/circuits/spheres and not to forget points(=center) and their impact on human life/thoughts reaches from Artistole over Nietzsche and Deleuze up to Peter Sloterdejik, just to name some "superstars" within the western thinking. Not to talk about the nexuses their thinking/theories bring along to fields like psychology, religion, politics, mathematics, physics, cosmology, cosmogonie, cosmographie....... pld:

to be continued as soon as I am back on earth, ... hell, what is this, no, I do not taste good and I am for sure extremely toxic.....

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Azo, Interesting approach to deign and placement you have here. Its not easy to understand your intentions sometimes, it could be that english is not your native tounge, and some things are being lost in translation?

Anyways, i find it interesting that you are approaching your work with the intention of repetitive shapes and geometric placements to depict your views or interpretation of objects. In particular your 'keys' piece up there. While i find the visual element of your work fascinating and meticulous, i left wondering what im seeing until ive read your text. What im trying to say, is that the lack of commonly recognizable clues in your works leaves me wondering if im missing the point. If its a ship then its good to have a few elements that your viewer would recognize as being engine or mechanical in nature... if its an object then a mimicking of exterior shape or form could also help with the readability.

I think its good that you are approaching a new style with such gusto, but im unclear on whether you want your readers to understand your images for a deeper meaning or if you are just happy producing the collection of shapes and geometry that come across.

I hope i don't sound negative, and i hope you continue to post, but for me personally i don't really 'get' it...

;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

RandAlThor, doesn`t sound negative in any way and I can assure you, that I often query whether I myself really 'get' it.

For the moment I just wanted to confirm your presumption, that English is not my mother-tongue, thus it is truly quite hard for me trying to express my intentions in regards to my art-work; this is even quite difficult in my mother-tongue German (I am Austrian), sometimes impossible, at least for me.

Hope you don`t mind, that I do not respond deeper to your comment at the moment, so you did raise questions, that I want/need to take time for answering.

In any case, thanks a lot for being frank and forthright, I embrace (right term?) that a lot.

My journal
    My finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 19 "Herbert von Karajan"

Sometimes, but quite rarely, I know, who I am looking at, when I do my fast lines.... this now is Herbert von Karajan, an Austrian conductor..... evil guy in a way, at least he appeared like that

My journal
    My finished

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.