Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: thought controlled headset for art

Thanks

thought controlled headset for art

thought controlled headset for art
    everyone can think, everyone can draw.

ok, up until this point i've thought i've been living in a regular world and would never get to see something like this come out.

they are breaching the gap of interface and reaching into our brains useing non-invasive electroencephalography (EEG) to read the neural activity.

in short - theres a headset that you can use to interact with your computer.

how long do you think it will be before you can paint using thoughts directly from your brain, they allready have up down left right down packed, how long before preasure sensitivity and colour mapping.

the future is here i think , i cant wait to try one of these babys out in photoshop.

bbc story link
    Last edited by alti; February 21st, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Fun for video games, not so much with art. Using this thing means I might as well cut my arms off, it's not like I use them for anything else besides art.

Thanks
    dude, think of this as the stepping stone, remember computer art useing a keyboard, then a mouse then tablets, wacom, tiny wacom, to 21 inch wacom, then cintiq now massive 21 inch cintiq, next will be something like this i think, if you can direct the mouse with your mind anything is possible, the speed will get better, the sensitivity will increase..

crazy time to be alive

Thanks
    I think it will take a very long time before you will be able to actually make art with this. The thing is that the human mind is very chaotic. In a game you can force yourself to be occupied with a single thought. For example "forward forward forward forward forward" or "pickup pickup pickup pickup pickup pickup pickup". In a game world this can work. But when you are drawing or painting your thought process is not only occupied with strokes. You are also busy with narative, color theory, perspective, etc. So instead of a single thought you get a lot of random thoughts, and most of those thoughts the helmet wont understand.

There is actually already a game on the market using this technology. I played it 3 years ago, it was very fun. But the slighest chance in my close envirioment forced me to analyse what happened, resulting in a game over.

So I will remain a bit skeptical about it for now
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Given how many times the average male is said to think about sex in an hour, the first few attempts at making art with one of them might be .... erm..... interesting.

Thanks
    if you can move the cursor with your mind and determine shortcuts in photoshop thats all we'l need

Thanks
    hell, even if i only used if for shortcuts i'd still want one. change brush etc, swap to erazor, draw boobs etc

Thanks
    there's a draw boobs shorcut in ps!? damn i've been missing out!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duq View Post
    The thing is that the human mind is very chaotic.
    that's what makes it interresting no? think about the possibilities!

Anyway I'm very excited by that, and I think in the end you wont be interacting with the software like doing shortcuts and sending messages like "open color picker", "do shortcuts this and that", "hold alt", whatever... because that is a workflow based on a mouse and keyboard. I guess it will start like this because that's theworkflow we are familiar with.

But slowly it will go to something that is more intuitive like handling brush settings by mere feelings (and in the end I think the notion of brush will be obsolete, because that's based on the way the hand works, making linear movements), or like, you think about some sounds and it changes the color, and it actually open a whole world of possibilities about the way we use our brain... I think this kind of interface, when it will become convenient , will be a major revolution...and not only for video games and art.

Thanks
    Seriously...nothing good will come of this.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Technological details aside, the functions that this device provides is rather limited.

In short, moving a cursor accurately enough for drawing with any efficiency on a display, with your thoughts alone, is not something this gadget can muster.

I think this topic has been brought up before. Even if this device allow the user to draw accurately with their thoughts, it still does not make any average person Leonardo Davinci.
    Removing the hand from the hand, eye and brain coordination equation would not make drawing much easier.
    Artistic creation is not a purely mechanical action and the artist's thoughts must be well composed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m@. View Post
    that's what makes it interresting no? think about the possibilities!

Anyway I'm very excited by that, and I think in the end you wont be interacting with the software like doing shortcuts and sending messages like "open color picker", "do shortcuts this and that", "hold alt", whatever... because that is a workflow based on a mouse and keyboard. I guess it will start like this because that's theworkflow we are familiar with.

But slowly it will go to something that is more intuitive like handling brush settings by mere feelings (and in the end I think the notion of brush will be obsolete, because that's based on the way the hand works, making linear movements), or like, you think about some sounds and it changes the color, and it actually open a whole world of possibilities about the way we use our brain... I think this kind of interface, when it will become convenient , will be a major revolution...and not only for video games and art.
    Yeah the possiblities are amazing, I totally agree. The question is: When will it be convenient enough to actually use efficient? I think this device and the current technology is still far removed from being useable.
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    i think its a step into an awsome new world, seeing further into the mind (the most complex computer on earth ) is a wonderfull thing.

even if this is the most basic of foundations, up down, hot cold, left right, happy sad, i'd still love to see what this leads to. As the devices become more accurate, i think the launguage of design will change much the way m@ was saying.
    i think we're hundereds of years from releasing the minds eye into a pure representation, but these are all the right steps to get to that level.

i'd love to map some shortcuts and see how it goes with this model of device.
    -alti

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast