Question for Feng
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question for Feng

Feng i was wondering what classes in college u took in classes to get your rendering skills down so good. Was there classes just on how to use markers or did you self teach yourself? I want to go into the same field as but im not sure what i should take in order to get the necessary skills i need for conceptual art for the game/ movie industry. Most of the people i've talked to dont know what i should take besides the basics, or have no clue at all so any insight would be really appricated.

Time does not exist.

Only the illusions of memories.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i no im not feng but i think i can help you, feng went to art center, before that i beleive architecture, but at art center they teach you all that stuff, the markering is part of these viscomm classes, visual communications, its regular part of product design, transportion design, etc. like industrial design stuff, thats kinda the direction you would want to go is ID. Or the other option if your more into painting, get good at painting and illustration because there are lots of illustrators as well as ID guys that can work as concept artist like jason manley for example, hes more of an illustrator and fengs more of a ID guy, it all depends what style ur goin for and whats fun to you, basically if you can draw really good, fast and convey good ideas then you will work in the field, you could teach yourself markers but most people are taught them at such schools as part of the curriculum, go to fengs site as well, if u didnt already know, there is a very good tutorial there for how to use them, helped me alot. in all honesty though, all this stuff people learn in school you can learn on your own, this industry isnt about degrees and school, its about talent, and if you can get the talent sitting in ur room then do it, it doesnt matter as long as YOU know where you want to be, if you know that then the only thing left to do is start taking those steps forward towards the goals. good luck, hope i helped some

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya it helped a lot, thanks. well im pretty confident in my skills but i know i can improve a lot too. as for markering im decent because i've only had them for a couple months or so. thankis again for the info

Time does not exist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not Feng either .. but here's what I can offer..

If you want to learn markers then ID is the direction to take. But honestly markers are only about .5% of Industrial Design.

The rest of the education is priceless and consists of things only experienced by taking college classes. Asside from learning proper business practices, research, communication, presentation skills, human factors, ergonomics, etc. you'll get the chance to work with established companies (them being your clients) and with teams of students on extrordinary projects.

My ID professor John taught me everything I know about markers, from there I have continued to practice and build uppon my skill.
    True you can learn markers on your own, but design/presentation is a very disciplined act, and if not focused it's hard not to arrive at generic works.

I do regret not taking any painting classes, I suffer from it now.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gasmask and Sammy hit the important points.

the ability to draw and paint is important, but don't forget what the job title means. Concept design is about communicating an idea. You can use whatever method you want, as long as the client understands you. I use drawings, other use models, or 3D renderings, pictures, etc. It doesn't matter. It's all about the idea.

But to answer your question: I went to Art Center in Pasadena, CA. The fundalmental classes there cover all the mediums (markers, pens, pencils, gouache, etc). Since this field is pretty specific, only certain number of schools offer this kind of training. Try looking into CCS in detroit, or Long Beach State (where John Johnston studied). Prat, Art Academy, Rhode Island, etc are all great.....it's really up to the student and how hard you work.

-feng

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yet another question for Feng

I'm assuming that you work on marker paper and other forms of separate sheets. (I don't know if your rough/sketches are done in a sketchpad or not)

I mostly use marker paper and other individual sheets of paper such as canson or recycled..
    It all becomes a jumbled mess all over my room once a pic is scanned.

How do you organize your artwork? You work fast so I'm sure you have Tons of work to keep track of.

thanx
    -sammy

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks feng. so far the "skills" i know how to use is mainly pen and ink but im getting into marker more. i do know how to 3d model in 3dsmax. right know i go to CSUF in fullerton and im in a 2d desing class ( right now were doing a pointleism [sp?] of a famous person with an ink pad and our finger :boring: ) and in a begining drawling class ( mostly charcoal still lifes and perspective lesson) next semester i hope to get in a likfe drawling class and not sure what else to get into.

Time does not exist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ARe there any schools that arent in CA that offer good ID programs?

I want to go into ID or Concept Design, but I can't find any schools that have a decent ID program.. Almost every school Ive heard abotu other than Art Center has some bad point to it that really makes me hesitant to attend there..

I dont think I could live in detriot or anywhere in the north east..

It sucks for those of us who can't afford to live in CA and go to school at the same time...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yeah..

Yeah, I relate to that pain all too well. I live in Chicago and do not as of yet have the means to gt to LA. I am in the illustration program in my current college, and I work on the principles of design as much as I can by reading books, observing others works, and doing works of my own. I have taken on a few free lance concept design jobs in the city for smaller comapnies, mostly small game studios and animatin studios. When I graduate from here I hope I can make my way out west and hit Art Center for graduate school in industrial design.

The cowards never started and the weak died along the way.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.