Thanks

Question to all working professionals (Repost)

Originally posted by Roma:
    Hi guys, my name is Roma and I had a job proposition from a video game company, only they want to know my rate per page.
    So I would like to know how much time it takes a "professional" concept artist to draw a page and what would be a fair price.

I would really appreciate if you could all help me out.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Jaymz:
    Hi Roma!

Nice site!

Someone just wrote me about this... For freelance work, I recommend charging by the hour. Reason being, with concept art, it's hard to gauge how many times you need to rework a piece for your contractor or how many sketches you need to do before you come up with an idea you're happy with. You might find yourself short changing yourself if you didn't take it all in consideration. If you charge hourly, it saves you any guess work.

If you DO have to charge by the piece or by the job, make sure you take all the reworking into consideration. Also you have to understand that the company doesn't take care of your benefits like a full time employee. For all these reasons, make sure you are getting what you are worth. Industry standard...I'm not sure there is such a thing, but people I know are getting $60+ per hour for contract work. But they've had a few years of experience. If you've had a LOT of experience or you are very well known...you can earn thousands a week. (and you certainly wouldn't be asking me, ) For artists starting out with a 4 year degree and a strong portfolio, try to ask for no less than $30/hour and take it from there. Be firm and professional about it.

good luck!

-Jaymz

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jason Manley:
    another way to look at it is...how much money do you need to support yourself and get what you need while doing that kind of work. if its twenty bucks an hour then ask that...if you need two thousand for the next two weeks then ask that.

concept artists in the games industry usually make anywhere from 40-90k if they have good skillz.

freelance pays more per hour because they dont have to pay all the insurance etc..

good luck

j

Thanks
    Originally posted by Roma:
    Thank you very much James and Jason, that really helps.
    If it wasn't for you I was gonna ask for 10 to 15 an hour...