The right way and the wrong way

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

The right way and the wrong way

I've just started working in photoshop and then BAM! suddenly i've got this whole new world in front of me, ready to be guzzled by my hungry mind, color theory, lighting, brushes, filters and all that jazz.
    now, i'm confused because i've used several brushes to create an image (see attached) for the sake of this thread, although the shapes and colors look cool, they were a simple click away, and anyone can do this, but i'm talking about using it in bigger pictures, and real work, because it seems like cheating to me, like using the hair brush to draw hair, because with the ones i've got it is just simply one click for real looking hair.

my question to this very badly explained problem of mine is:
    What is ok to use to create art without being a filter jockey or the like? for example, androids shape sifting, brilliant and he makes it all himself, therefore, its completely he's. please tell me someone gets what i'm on about cause this is really bugging me.

And how would one go about making the tech like shapes seen in the image without the brushes? just because i want the knowledge.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Simple. To make the circles and curves, all you really need is the eclipse tool, stroke it with a brush thickness that you like, and erase bits off of it. Just keep adding and erasing and you get the techy pieces.

And the lines, simple again. Just click -alt -click. Oncey ou do that, it will make a straight line to wherever you click. Or you can just use the pen tool and stroke.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Digital_Blacksmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frogSweat View Post
    like using the hair brush to draw hair, because with the ones i've got it is just simply one click for real looking hair.
    that's not true. You don't do real looking things by using a brush - you do real looking things by applying accurate values, edge, color. In the case of hair, a hair brush will just provide you with a high frequency shape that may look like a realistic hair strand out of context, but when you want to make a full realistic piece, this high frequency detail is of little importance compared to which value/color you paint it with, the values and edges of your hair highlights (look at Sargent's hair for instance, he achieves very realistic looking hair with very few details..), and how you blend it with the rest.

What I mean is, you can use anything you want , there's no "cheating" . if you got the knowledge and a sensibility, it will show. Filters, brushes, are just details ... use whatever suits you to get the job done.

As for the "tech shapes".. If you really want to do it yourself, ask yourself why? why those shapes, what do they convey?

and do researches on "techy stuff",industrial shapes, concept cars, graphic design, whatever. Get yourself inspired by a lot of sources, and come up with your own shapes.
    How to make them is kinda irrevelant, I think it's one of the things you gotta come up with yourself... you can draw them on paper, scan them, or use ellipses, or photo montage, anything! think outside the box

Last edited by m@.; February 21st, 2008 at 03:10 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m@. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey dude...yeah long time, hows the uni going? I get where your coming from...actually in the downloadable tute android has he talks about lifiting stuff off google to use as brushes and dicking about with them...which I was a little suprised by. I personally don't like to use anything that someonce else has made, I guess you just draw the line where you feel comfortable...and in terms of filter use, if it looks good, use it, but chances are, if its a photoshop filter its best to either use it sparingly, or not at all....things like the dodge tool can be usefull for tiny parts of an image, but over-use it and its blatently obvious to anyone who even vaugly knows whats going on in the programme.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to daveneale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Digital_Blacksmith: thanks ma man, i shall put this to test.

m@.: thats cleared alot of stuff up for me, exactly what i wanted to hear basicly haha. so it doesn't really matter if the brushes i've got might as well be realy hair cut from someones head and scanned in? i see what you mean, and it makes alot of sense, and is kinda right there in my face now you mention it. although i'm still a little iffy on it, i'll upload the brushes to show ya, cause its not a click and drag brush, just a click !INSTANTHAIR! brush, well only in whatever color but still..

Dave: at least someone does! lol but yeah, thats exactly as it is, and that is suprising actually, but i don't want to do something thats gonna hinder my progress and quailty of art, and something that might open up awhole other door, take alook at androids shape sifting, so i think i might just experiment with things for a while and see what results i get.

Thanks
    Not a problem man, just be sure to show me what you do with it. Oh, and use the polygonal select(the one that you click and it follows to the next click until it connects for those of you who dont know what im taking about) to erase, and not the brushes. That way you get the straight lines and not odd shapes at the tips.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Digital_Blacksmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You'll have a much easier time doing that tech stuff in illustrator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.