Art Center Fall 2008 kids + questions for currently enrolled students
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Art Center Fall 2008 kids + questions for currently enrolled students

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Center Fall 2008 kids + questions for currently enrolled students

Hey guys,
    I'm curious to see if anyone here is going to Art Center this fall. I got my acceptance letter for illustration a few weeks ago and I figured it might be nice to meet some people beforehand. The official Art Center thread is getting pretty bloated so here's a new one for prospective students.

To currently enrolled Art Center students, I was wondering about the current state of the school. I've heard from a lot of people that the quality of work has been declining, both in a long-term and short-term sense. Maybe a few questions to get you started:

- Is the workload still as intense as it's made out to be?
    - How are the instructors who are currently teaching?
    - How is the student work? (I checked out the gallery fairly recently and it seemed pretty good. Does it reflect the quality of work produced by Art Center as a whole though?)
    - Are high school students still being admitted in large quantities? (this question from something I read about the school needing money to build a library)
    - Craftsmanship vs. creativity? (I know that Art Center stresses craftsmanship but some people in older threads have mentioned that creative development is lacking. Any comments on this?)
    - Scholarship/financial aid advice?
    - Anything else that might be helpful to know?

I don't expect definitive answers to any of these questions and some of them are pretty vague anyway but hopefully some of you can shed light on a few of these topics. The official Art Center thread here talks about a lot of it but most of it's outdated as hell; I'm sure the original poster has already graduated by now or is at least getting close. So yeah, I appreciate the help.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would not go to Art Center to learn 'observational' drawing. Art Center charges way too much for that.

If you don't feel confident about your observational drawing, then it seems to me that $100,000 tuition is a waste of money. Art Center seems to be about aggression.

It's about putting yourself out there and challenging yourself. If the artists around you are better then you, then you'll just develop an inferiority complex. I'd make certain I'd have some strong foundational skills first before I'd go to Art Center.

And you don't need to go to Art Center to develop strong foundational skills, matter of fact I don't believe Art Center really specializes in that. Anne Field, the head of the illustration department at Art Center, has been eliminating a lot of tradional classes from the Art Center curriculum.

Roland Young, who just left recently from ACCD, stated you should cut the crap and tell the truth.....well, is what I'm saying true?

Place that specializes in observational drawing in the same area:
    http://www.laafa.org
    http://www.calartinst.com/

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.laafa.org

Here's a big secret that no one talks about. A lot of instructors that teach at Art Center, teach at the above school. So, if you don't believe me, then take a few classes at that school and ask them.

Matter of fact, if you fear the wrath of the ACCD dedicated...go to this thread:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90666

Last edited by NoSeRider; February 21st, 2008 at 09:45 AM.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for bringing that up, I totally forgot about it in my original post. I've heard from a lot of my instructors that it would be a good idea to take courses at the classical ateliers in area to keep my drawing skills up. Would it be practical do that while enrolled at Art Center though?

Another thing, if they've been taking out a lot of traditional classes, what are they being replaced with? I've always had the impression that Art Center teaches a lot of little tricks and techniques for getting around in the industry after graduating (I'm talking about entertainment design here) and that you should look elsewhere for actually learning how to draw. But even if that's the case, it still seems like it's among the best degree programs out there for getting good at drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey f1ish, i start in the fall of '08 too, majoring in Graphic Design. I am going straight out of high school.

http://fromthedeskofscottlanger.blog...-porfolio.html

thats some of my design portfolio i submitted to ACCD...

also, in response to the concern of high school students getting in after high school, maybe students are just getting better?

oh, i almost forgot, my name is Scott. hi, nice to meet you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing you there! My name is Daniel and I'm also a senior in high school now so that's pretty sweet. I really don't know anything about their graphic design program aside from the stuff that's in the catalog, which is awesome. Where are you coming from?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm from new york, and yourself?

my iChat screen name is simple as scott, IM me if you'd like to talk. im really looking forward to meeting other great artists and hopefully really great people.

also, do you have any work online? i'd really like to see your stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in San Diego. I haven't shot any of my recent work unfortunately, but if I do I'll be sure to send it to you. I actually also started a blog like yours earlier this year for my work but I took it down. Hopefully you'll stick with it better than I did!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.