Drug sniffing dog comes to school...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drug sniffing dog comes to school...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drug sniffing dog comes to school...

Recently, my high school has started a program to eliminate drugs on campus. An officer and police dog (speically trained to sniff for illegal substances) will make random unannounced visits to my school. When the dog enters a classroom all the students are made to leave thier belongs at their desk and stand in another part of the room while the dog sniffs their bags. If a student is caught they'll be taken to the office and their belongings will be searched (with consent, of course). The first of these visits happened yesterday in my 1st period art class no less. Some of my classmates found it weird, even a little intrusive but their were those who didn't care either way. No drugs were found.

I made a comic for my school newspaper which illustrates how I feel about the new policy.

My school isn't the first to adopt such a policy. I was just wondering what others think about it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like kids nowadays. They seem more polite.

Kids I grew up with were overly competitive narcissistic freaks.

Some how I can't imagine the kids today are as fucked up on drugs as
    my generation was?

I guess the overly competitive nazi's of my generation are now bossing you kids around?

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just wait til the band-aid-dispensing anti-nipple brigade comes through...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    schmell
    schmell

lawls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was in high school we had the random drug dogs, we weren't allowed backpacks passed the front doors...it was horrible. Funny thing, I went to school in the sticks. My town had 2 stop lights and lots of dirt roads. Sign of the times I guess, accuse first, ask questions later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at my school they encourage the kids (mostly musicians) to take drugs. the school has 2 sniffer dogs on patrol around the neighbourhood that search for potential junkies to take drugs off and donate to the school fund.
    No kidding!

Shrew11 is offline He Who Practices the Art of Procrastination Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with it fully.
    Nothing to hide, then it shouldn't really bother ya.
    As long as they don't get the right to dump your
    bag or something. The dog should be able to pick
    up anything, if not, then just leave the person alone.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like Shew11 said, If you don't have anything to hide you shouldn't have anything to worry about. As long as they don't get the right to just dump your bag.
    I would worry about having food items though. Dogs forget what they're supposed to be doing when it comes to food. A dog might act like it found something, but really it justs want the sandwich stored in your backback.

Son, if you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet they're about to announce the lottery numbers.

Screaming Lamb

My Sketchbook

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    at my school they encourage the kids (mostly musicians) to take drugs. the school has 2 sniffer dogs on patrol around the neighbourhood that search for potential junkies to take drugs off and donate to the school fund.
    No kidding!
    What?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    take a shit in your bag
    Name:  McGruff_Dog.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  17.6 KB
    and help take a bite out of crime

the whole "if you don't have anything to hide" theory is bullshit. you should never give away your personal liberties and your right to privacy, everyone has something to hide and good reason for hiding it. i don't want anyone wiretapping my goddamn phones, nor would i want some pig going through my bag. i have things far more personal than drugs that i wouldnt want some asshole to find. my sketchpad for one.

Last edited by Grief; February 21st, 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some bs.

SSG 37

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Grief.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I have nothing to hide, I'm not going to object. It isn't bullshit, you just happen to feel differently. Last time I got pulled over for speeding, the officer wanted to check my backpack and my car. Why would I say no if I had nothing to hide? (And I managed to not get a ticket that time either. They let me off, even though my registration was 15 days out of date as well)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the simple answer is don't bring your drugs to school.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some articles on why the whole "I don't have anything to hide" argument is wrong:

http://www.wired.com/politics/securi.../2006/05/70886
    http://www.infowars.net/articles/nov...bigbrother.htm
    http://ask.metafilter.com/39312/Resp...to-worry-about

Relevant quotes from the above:
    The idea that "if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" assumes that the government is full of good people that would not abuse their power, ever. Even if this were true now, we cannot be sure it'll be true in the future. The US Republic was founded on the idea that humans are corruptible and we need to have checks and balances against corruption built into our government. Because corrupt people will oppress those who have done nothing wrong.
    "Mind if I make a video of you fucking your wife then?"
    Too many wrongly characterize the debate as "security versus privacy." The real choice is liberty versus control. Tyranny, whether it arises under threat of foreign physical attack or under constant domestic authoritative scrutiny, is still tyranny. Liberty requires security without intrusion, security plus privacy. Widespread police surveillance is the very definition of a police state. And that's why we should champion privacy even when we have nothing to hide.

Last edited by fukifino; February 21st, 2008 at 01:28 PM.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrew11 View Post
    I agree with it fully.
    Nothing to hide, then it shouldn't really bother ya.
    This walks a fine line...

A free man should feel no fear because he isn't being searched in the first place. You aren't free if you need to prove your innocence daily.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember back when I was in high school, the principal and the nurse had this list of "everyone who does drugs" And on the top of this list for some reason, was me and my friends, even though im highly against drugs, and will beat the shit out of any of my close friends for touching that crap. The asshole principal would actually stand on top of the school hill (my house was at the bottom of the hill) and watch with binoculars, just so he would be able to "catch us in the act" But all he caught was a couple full moons and some nice finger gestures.

So yeah, privacy in schools is dead. Its bullshit, but thats how it is nowadays.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they had those at my school. They caught some people frequently.

One time was really really funny. THey caught this one kid, and forced him to cough up some names of other kids he was smoking with, and those kids ratted on other kids, and they ratted on yet more kids, until about 30-40 freshman were expelled. One of which was my cousin.

I found it hilllllariousss.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, it goes like this. When your pulled over and the police officer ask "Can say I search your car." You say no and thats the end the story. If he sees something out in the open, he can. Now if hes under suspesion that you have commited a crime under probable cause he can do such.

Same rules are applied in school. But they use dogs to make it fast and clean, and be clear of suspision. If a dog smells it, they search it, they find it, its over. Thats all. No random searches in peoples belongings like if your at the airport. It happens once or twice every month. Think of it like this, If they don't have these searches, It be that much easier for kids to deal drugs on campus. Its not the matter of you have nothing to hide. Its, don't have it at all.

Toxdel is offline Yes, yes i do own a bar of soap Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pshhhhh, seems like that happens all the time at my school(s).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    the whole "if you don't have anything to hide" theory is bullshit. you should never give away your personal liberties and your right to privacy...
    HERE, HERE!

Now, my school is not durg central. I live in a small suburb of Los Angeles county. My administration has confirmed that our school does not have a drug problem. The principal himself said that in a parent meeting. The principal also said that they're using "fear and intimidation" to keep drugs out of our school even though there isn't a problem. All it comes down to is making our school look good.

Bringing drugs to school is idiotic anyway but doing random, sweeping searches to keep them out is not a good idea in my mind. And its all in the name of keeping kids safe? Having a dog come into a classroom isn't disruptive? I think its a slippery slope. If they can do that what else will they do? Install video cameras? Metal detectors? Thats a fear of mine anyway.

I did some research and even made buttons and handed them out to people who wanted them. I'm letting the authority know that I know my rights whether they mean anything anymore or not!

I'm upset that alot of students just take it and some even justify it by saying "you signed a contract" which apparently means (to them) that the school can do whatever they want to us. The "contract" students sign is just saying that we recieved a copy of school policy.

I just see abuse of authority these days and it scares me. Public school is so controlled its ridiculous.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like there to be constant drug checks(including urine checks) on all government politicians. If the leaders in our country and fine by it I see no problems with teenagers being subject to checks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My school had one of those 'kids who does drugs list' also. I was near the top of that list, although all the random drug screenings they forced me to do came up negative. I smoked pot occasionally - on my own time, and in the privacy of my own home, and I never attempted to buy or sell anything at school. I had my bags illegally confiscated and searched multiple times because somehow due to a stick figure comic book I drew that used a lot of pitch black humor and the other kids liked equated to detailed plans on a school shooting I was planning despite the locations and people in my little comic strips had absolutely nothing to do with any real person or place.

I fought it, and eventually won in a sense, the police stopped coming after the 3rd of 4th time I refused to let them search my things, and eventually the police actually started laughing in the -of-a-principal i had.

This whole idea that "if you have nothing to hide then it shouldn't matter to you" is pure steaming corn encrusted bullshit. Typically people who I hear spew this shit are the same people who voted bush into office, and endorse the patriot act without understanding what it is.

The whole idea of random unannounced intrusions by drug dogs is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Yeah, drug dogs are typically good at what they do, and yeah in a highschool that widely known to be a place where drug trafficking takes place then it might be reasonable to do something like that, but overall to have a dog and a cop come into the classroom in the middle of a lesson is not only disruptive to the learning flow of that particular class, but it's disruptive of the flow of the rest of the day. Teachers are on edge, students are on edge, even the ones who don't "have anything to hide".

Bullshit.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh you think thats bad? One of my friends had one of his drawings from art class confiscated and had the police called on him. The drawing: Him and all his friends as stick figures playing hackeysack with a smiling sun with a green cigarette in its mouth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sep, Too bad I wasn't old enough to vote, so now we'll never know ^_^ but thanks for generalizing! I said that if I have nothing to hide, I'm not going to object to a search. I agree the drug dogs are excessive and disruptive as well as unannounced. Even with nothing to hide, I wouldn't like that. But if a cop asks to search my car and he's obviously suspicious, and I've got nothing to hide, I'm going to let him go ahead and search for it. But maybe your right. Maybe I should have said no, and then gotten a ticket for speeding and for out of date registration. But at least I'd be happy knowing I stood up to a cop!!

Blacksmith, you have a thing for storytelling, don't you? At least your stories are better than everyone else's!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I like to talk, but they arent stories, shit like that really happens around small towns like here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been told that if a police ever wanted to search my bag, I need to pour everything out of it my self. Don't hand the bag to the police because they probably will slip some shit in there and arrest me for it.

I thought it was exaggerated until my friend got arrested because of some "police made-on-the-scene evidence".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well yeah, they have to make it seem like its worth the tax money it costs, otherwise it would be worthless to search classrooms at random times, even at the expense at innocent people.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Blacksmith View Post
    Oh you think thats bad? One of my friends had one of his drawings from art class confiscated and had the police called on him. The drawing: Him and all his friends as stick figures playing hackeysack with a smiling sun with a green cigarette in its mouth.

In 6th grade one of my teachers called the principle come down and talk to me about one of my drawings because it looked like the devil, he told me to stop. I did of course, being so young I had no idea what someone telling me not to draw something really meant.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin - If a cop pulls you over and he asks to ask your car, you ask why. If he provides you with a reasonable excuse for wanting to rifle through your things, then by all means. I've submitted to seemingly "random" searches. But if a cop is doing it just to mean some quota for the month (which happens a lot with speeding and other traffic violation tickets in the small town where I'm from) then the cop can suck it.

I don't mind assisting an officer if they're able to provide me with a good enough reason, but if I think he's wanting to waste my time, and make me feel violated by going through my shit, reason or no, then I'm not going to go along with it that's all I'm saying, and I think that everyone should feel comfortable saying no to an authority figure. Submitting to search just because he "looks like he thinks you're suspicious" is basically the same as denying yourself the right to tell him where to stick it. If you were speeding and he caught you then you deserve a speeding ticket, if you weren't speeding and he caught you then you had no reason to let him search your car to get out of the ticket. Good for you that it worked, but my point still stands.

I am generalizing a bit, and I don't deny that one bit but that's because of the majority of the people I've had the pleasure of speaking with who have just the attitude I'm describing.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.