Sketchbook: Sketchbook: I have 2 months...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook: I have 2 months...

Ok,

My Predicament:

So i am a student in my 3rd year of a graphic design degree and i want to get into video games as an environmental artist. I have been working hard on my 3D (www.terrorvisual.com) and i think i have improved, but until today i have been ignoring the fact that i reeeeallly need to be able to knock simple concept art up too. The only problem is.....i seriously suck.

The Plan:

I have like 2 months (ish) till i graduate so i am going to try and paint or sketch at least 1 environment a day till i graduate (at least) in an attempt to get to passable standard before the big wide world of job hunting.

Any feedback you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan.

Day 01:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found some extra time to have another go today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good that you are doing an environment a day, but don't rush them, you will get better in 2 months, but it will take a long time for you to get to be where I think you want to be. Just because school ends in 2 months doesn't mean you need to stop learning then, you will most probably have to work even harder when you leave!

Remember, perspective is important in environments (and everything else too really) so work on that also

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what Crush said. don't expect to get to a certain level in two months, you'd be setting yourself up for a failure. just work hard with an eye to the future, and expect to do other things for some time before getting the gig you want. even being a pro doesn't guarantee you a job fresh outta college.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your responses

I am not really aiming for master pieces, thats for concept artists Lolz.
    But yeah, i just want to learn to create some mood and have some sort of simple visualisation of ideas for me to get going on the 3D. Ideas for colours/ composition of scenes ect.

But yeah, i don't really expect anything, its just my target. If i aim low i can only achieve low right?

Not much time today but i managed to knock something out. I think i will continue on this one tomorrow. A programmer i know asked me for a tile for a game he is making this morning so i painted this up too/tested in 3DS max.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didnt get as much done as i wanted today, its been such a busy day and i have an evening function in London to attend...

But i think this one might actually make a better image. I will work on it again tommorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Except for the teeth out of the ground one, when they're dark they're dark and when they're light they're light.

Punch your values harder in both directions rather than just one. I think that is a good first step. Those values create 3D form in environments just as they do on figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think some studies after photographs/master paintings could boost your work up several notches. Also, there are some incredible environment painters around here who post video tutorials in their sketchbooks; check out M@, for instance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember that you cant exspect to start drawing environments straight off from the ground.

Being able to draw concepts come from haveing a memorised catalouge in your head to draw from and to get stuf fin there you need to practice your eye's on seeing shapes/values and textures.

And you cant get away with a half arsed sketch by calling it concept art I work in the industry(however not as an artist) And even concept sketches have a depth and feel to them and this feel comes from forms and textures in fact speedpainting is kind of an exercise in catching the most important forms more than anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all your comments. There are lots of valid points. From tomorrow i will get on with some study's i think.

Between a heavy night last night, some travelling and uni work, all i managed today was a simple grass tile >.<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I think that all of your stuff you've posted is all very hinting that you've been doing graphic design for a while. All your colors are very similar. You have very very little variation. I would suggest even getting back to basics and doing some traditional medium drawings. I'd also go about and buy a sketchbook and just go out and do landscapes, and lots of them. That will help you a lot. Its hard to draw realistically from your imagination if you have trouble drawing what you can see. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your right journeyman.

I got myself a sketchbook and some pastels the other day. Been messing around trying to improve the quality of line i draw and practicing drawing the outlines of shapes in it

I used a photo from flickr as a reference for this WIP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, finished this one today.

I am quite pleased with it, but eager to get much better, mwuahahahah *cough* haha *cough* ha....er yeah. So the pic:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a hand in today, so i was busy creating presentation slides yesterday hence no post. I did rough something up but its not worth showing.

Today i was working on improving the quality of my drawn line. I also recived some good news: I have just confirmed a second work placement at a major development studio as a 3D artist. I note they are looking for 2 environmental artists, so i gotta do my best to impress.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.