Portfolio stuff, trying to find work, critiques? lol?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio stuff, trying to find work, critiques? lol?

hay guys, first post in the FF section here... maybe im not ready but who cares, it will make me feel like a man.

So yeah, i made a portfolio website to try and get some jobs... no such luck so far but oh well, you can you can view the website here: http://www.ville-ericsson.se/index.html

and here is some stuff from it:

any help would be cool, cheers!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very provacative. also, is that the death star's main reactor?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to picturefragments For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nudity warning plz kthxba´!

great start on the figures. Be careful with the level of finish on your environment pieces. something futuristic like this (07.jpg) necessitates good crisp linework and top notch perspective if you want to go ahead and add color. Otherwise, it might tend to look like an overworked concept with rickety foundations. The eye on the first piece completely threw me off but in a good way. It really got me wondering what the hell was going on

edit: your planets mates are UNBELEIVABLE.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to egerie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I just finished looking through your website and you have some nice pieces in there. What sort of work are you looking for? From the looks of things now, it seems like you have a bit of everything thrown into the same portfolio.... I found many of your drawings in the "sketches" section to be stronger than some of your finished color pieces; I also think that much of your figure work is better than the architectural interiors you have posted here....I don't think the Halo piece is helping your portfolio either...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExilE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the ones you put in the post of some of the weakest works you have. i looked at your site and you have alot of good pencil stuff and i enjoyed your sketches. you just need alot of work color wise and rendering wise for your digital pieces.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to getrealz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That green one is a speedpaint? It looks nice and tight to me compared to some of the other paintings. Maybe I'm just thinking in terms of the outcome and not of the time it took you?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gatling For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're not quite there yet. But you're close. Keep at it. And if you're serious about trying to get work, be absolutely merciless when it comes to editing you portfolio. There's a world of difference between a personal and a professional site.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I looked at your gallery and all your work is great but some seems to have an edge on the others. I may well be wrong, but the hands and self portrait (and possibly 1 or 2 pencil figure sketches) look better quality to me and I think this is because they were done from life. Perhaps you used magazines and imagination for the other work because the figures just doesn't seem as competently handled- this doesn't matter for cartoony stuff like the sauna. Get a girl to pose for you for real, you look like a good looking lad so it shouldn't be much of a problem, and really get to grips with issues like the weightiness of breasts (the left one on the woman floating back on the blue needs attention as it looks too much on her shoulder/in her armpit) the way bieceps join shoulders (from the side in your first shown picture the womens arms look like straps) stomach muscles, curving spine. Also, I don't want to offend prudes, if there are any on here but if you are going to draw penis's you have either got to go for it or not at all as the eye gets drawn there if there is one- at least mine does anyway! The one you have drawn isn't the quality of the rest of the bodies. I wouldn't comment on your non figurative work as it's not really my thing but it looks good to me x

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MaryCarey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your detailed works and bodies are very good, but you have to study more composition. Watch the big picture, see that the colours and the shapes doesn't add up.

Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - cghub - deviantart

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Olof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone!

picturefragments - thanks! hah! i was actually inspired by the reactor for the sheild generator on endor! I grew up with the original trilogy, so its aesthetics have always been close at heart!

egerie - cheers! true about the environments, ill see if I can touch those up a bit! and Im glad you liked the eye!!! that was exactly the effect I was going for!

ExilE - thanks man! ive been searching jobs mainly at games studios, I think variety is very important in portfolios to show that you are capable of doing anything that is handed to you. And yes, I think my figure work is better than my environment/architecture stuff, Its only recently that I have started learning about it because I found out that getting an environment concept job is much easier than getting a character concept job! so I think it was important to have those in there, even if they are weaker... I will try to replace them once I get better! And the halo piece, how so? I thought it would be a great idea to show my interest in games, and try to show that I am able to paint already defined and iconic characters. Or you dont like the painting in itself?
    thanks!

getrealz - thank you! I dont think the sketches would work very well in the portfolio though, as they dont really show much related to the type of work I am looking for at the moment, i.e. concept design or illustrative work.

gatling - thanks! yeah I think that green space one worked out pretty well too , I think it might be because I used a lot more reference than I usually do, something that I am beginging to do more and more!

Elwell - haha! yeah I guess Im not there yet It is getting kind of hard choosing what paintings to replace with new ones, but thats exactly what it shouldnt be! I will try to be more merciless in the future, thanks!

MaryCarey - thanks for all the advice! read and understood!

MorteM - thanks! yes, often times I zoom in way too much!

thanks again everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ville, [archipelago]

really like your work man, but as your portfolio gos I think you've got better stuf on your website/sketchbook, dude those planets are amazing man! And great sketchbook!

matt

:
    In the absence of light, dark will prevail.

see my NEW sketchbook[UPDATED] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=123027
    Trained by...
    http://www.thedrawingstudio.co.nz/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Those works are amazing. I really like your girls... your men look a little bit too muscular to me for example in that Sauna picture. But I looove those little red noses of them. You can really do different style of art, that's enviable.

If I have to complain: in that first pic the penis is perhaps a bit too smooth. You should perhaps try to add some texture to it. But well, that's just my opinion about it, you might think different and you perhaps know better.

But like I said: Awesome. You got a fan.

"Not all those who wander
    are lost"
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

MY JOURNEY(SKETCHBOOK)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work archipelago i loved your website, its sooo bookmarked man ^^ hope u update as much as u can... maybe some cast drawings would be nice to add on the portfolio, anyway good work man

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First I gotta say that this looks really really nice but as people has remarked abot earlier that little extra is missing. And as pretty much all the time in art I feel that it comes down to the basics. Placing values, colors and anatomy. Yout drawings here feels slightly off to me some little thing that takes away the illusion of immerision and belivability. Either there is soemthing that feels wonky anatomy wise or maybe you aren't pushing the entire tonal range that gives it that 3D feel.

Earlier someone mentioned more model drawing and I Echo that but I would also recomend really trying to push your contrasts (in value/hue/saturation) Further to give your images that extra edge.

Not that I could do it better but these is the things I have seen distinguishing good images from great lately

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my opinion your portfolio lacks creativity. NOT to say that you dont possess it but ur portfolio seems kinda blah.
    There isnt anything that screams original thought.
    create new creatures and characters that havent been done before.
    anyone can draw master chief (you have done a pretty good job in my opinion) but very few people can create a character that stands as an original creation.
    do the anatomy studies go out into public and draw people but then bring that back to your portfolio pieces as a foundation to creative work.
    thats the pain in the ass about concept art. you have to be able to come up with new concepts or build upon the old concepts in new ways.

sketchbook

looking for work! pm me

blog!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.