Art: Samus Action Figure

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 55
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Samus Action Figure

    Hello All,

    I'm new to CA. hands of caesar suggested I join up. So here I am and this was one of my projects. Hope you like it.


    Samus Action Figure
    Samus Action Figure
    Samus Action Figure

    Hand made from scratch
    Sculpted in Castilene
    Molded in Smooth-On silicone rubber
    Casted in Smooth-On resin
    Hand painted with Tamiya Acrylics
    25 Points-of-Articulation
    1/6 scale (12")

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Red 3183; February 26th, 2008 at 07:02 PM.
    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red 3183 For This Useful Post:


  4. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Wow! Damn nice! Is it a one of you did for yourself?

    How did you go about articulating it. I assume you fitted in all the joint parts just prior to casting and using an epoxy or glue to put the resin pieces on with.

    I had never tried or looked into making an articulated figure so I dont know the usual methods.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gum_drops View Post
    Wow! Damn nice! Is it a one of you did for yourself?

    How did you go about articulating it. I assume you fitted in all the joint parts just prior to casting and using an epoxy or glue to put the resin pieces on with.

    I had never tried or looked into making an articulated figure so I dont know the usual methods.
    Thanks for the comment.

    The ball-socket joints I made myself. You can see the WIP shots here: Joints are on post #46

    Link

    All other joints are just pins from the hardware store.

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    YUL = MONTREAL !
    Posts
    3,534
    Thanks
    276
    Thanked 129 Times in 88 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It's POSABLE too???? Do you realise that this would be a huge hit in the gaming community if we could serialise it? I'm impressed ANd jealous at the same time Good job on the sale(s) btw.
    you should post the WIPs here too!
    (I was highly disapointed in the Metroid Prime 3 - corruption's rendition of Samus's head at the end. Gosh I hate it!)

    Last edited by egerie; February 19th, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    nice work. yes post some wip pictures here too.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    WIP shots could be found here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/12421933@N05/

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,713
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It´s just perfect!!!!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Camara View Post
    It´s just perfect!!!!
    Really? Thanks! Your first sculpt was pretty awesome too!

    Last edited by Red 3183; February 19th, 2008 at 05:31 PM.
    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SAHN DEEAHGO
    Posts
    2,919
    Thanks
    5,580
    Thanked 838 Times in 314 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yeah, this is totally bad ass....the fact it's poseable is ridiculous...my only nitpick would be the face seems a little bland compared to the rest of the piece, but it could just be that one shot of it....

    Awesome work, I can't imagine the amount of work this would take (well I can, but don't want to ) kudos....

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatterdome View Post
    Yeah, this is totally bad ass....the fact it's poseable is ridiculous...my only nitpick would be the face seems a little bland compared to the rest of the piece, but it could just be that one shot of it....

    Awesome work, I can't imagine the amount of work this would take (well I can, but don't want to ) kudos....
    Thanks! Yeah, I don't really like the face either. It was my first time sculpting. I have gotten better. Her head can just pop off, so I might re-sculpt and swap it.

    Last edited by Red 3183; February 21st, 2008 at 11:45 PM.
    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    2,364
    Thanks
    838
    Thanked 664 Times in 380 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The face doesn't look too great, but otherwise, it's freaking awesome.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Red 3183 View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I don't really like the face either. It was my first time sculpting. I have gotten better. Hear head can just pop off, so I might re-sculpt and swap it.

    Good design decision....I think that's what would pain me the most is deciding on joints and all the menial work involved....

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatterdome View Post
    Good design decision....I think that's what would pain me the most is deciding on joints and all the menial work involved....
    Yeah the joints were a big pain. I didn't want to use standard action figure joints cause the movement to me is too robotic/stiff. I wanted a more natural motion to them so I decided to use ball-socket joints where I could. The problem then was how do I make them. So I lost lots of sleep over it.

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Like it? No! I loooOove it! It's, it's, it,s.. fantastic! Awesome color choices and combo!

    Inspiration comes from everywhere and from nowhere, from life and from dreams and from places that have no names. It comes most often in small pieces as tiny and bright as diamonds.

    -Tami Hoag (Dark Paradise)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reynante View Post
    Like it? No! I loooOove it! It's, it's, it,s.. fantastic! Awesome color choices and combo!
    Thanks! Well... She is from Nintendo's video game Metroid, so I didn't really choose the colors.

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    984
    Thanks
    316
    Thanked 124 Times in 102 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Haven't seen anything such a cool type of action figure in a while. Really, big kudos to you for going all the way and created your own socket and ball joint. I agree with the face looking odd, maybe if you plan to reworked it later you can use the one from the new Smash Brothers Brawl as reference, as she is looking hot in that game. Nevertheles, it's outstanding what you have achieve with that! Thanks for posting the WIPs as well, this dedication is admirable.

    Also, by looking at that flicker photos, do you get to finish the Lara Croft one too? Looks great so far.

    Last edited by Maestro Andres; February 20th, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

    "The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Andres View Post
    Haven't seen anything such a cool type of action figure in a while. Really, big kudos to you for going all the way and created your own socket and ball joint. I agree with the face looking odd, maybe if you plan to reworked it later you can use the one from the new Smash Brothers Brawl as reference, as she is looking hot in that game. Nevertheles, it's outstanding what you have achieve with that! Thanks for posting the WIPs as well, this dedication is admirable.

    Also, by looking at that flicker photos, do you get to finish the Lara Croft one too? Looks great so far.

    Thanks! Lara is almost done. I just haven't had the time to work on her cause of classes. I like Samus' face in Smash, but I wanted to go with the more realistic look of Prime 1. Prime 2 and 3 had horrible face models. I guess I could make both... since the head could be replaced.

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    530
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 115 Times in 99 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Sooooo Shiney!!!! You got skills!!
    Hey looks equally as good as the one they flogging on Tokyotoys, maybe you should drop them a line?
    I agree with the comments about the head, hope you post up your re-works

    Put The Kettle On!
    My CA Thread:TM's Cave
    Visit Me:TeaMonsterUK.com
    Contact Me:info@teamonsteruk.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaMonster View Post
    Sooooo Shiney!!!! You got skills!!
    Hey looks equally as good as the one they flogging on Tokyotoys, maybe you should drop them a line?
    I agree with the comments about the head, hope you post up your re-works
    Huh? There is another Samus figure out there. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the comment too.

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I want one!!!! :-)
    Great job...

    Bye

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by madm4tt View Post
    I want one!!!! :-)
    Great job...

    Bye
    Thank you!

    I will be putting the last one (#6) on ebay very soon. I'll post here when she's on ebay.

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks
    909
    Thanked 538 Times in 455 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Man, that is just amazing! I just recently starting playing with sculpture. You're my idol lol.

    My Bloggins

    Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

    Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

    || SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

    The CRIMSON DAGGERS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakai SinClair View Post
    Man, that is just amazing! I just recently starting playing with sculpture. You're my idol lol.
    Idol?... Thanks! This was just my first project. There are better things to come.

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi Red,

    Your work inspired me. I am working on an action figure now, I would like to use your design of joints, if you don't mind?

    By the way, how did you make the black rubbers to cover the joints? Did you mix Rebound 25 with black paint?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by quasimodox View Post
    Hi Red,

    Your work inspired me. I am working on an action figure now, I would like to use your design of joints, if you don't mind?

    By the way, how did you make the black rubbers to cover the joints? Did you mix Rebound 25 with black paint?
    I used Smooth-On C-1515 Semi-Rigid Resin. I don't have an actual tutorial but there is a link to a quick demo of how I did it on post #3. If you have other questions, just let me know.

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    1,548
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 199 Times in 119 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    this is absolutely wonderful, the helmet-less head is a little weak looking compared the the superb craft quality of the rest of the figure but still one of the cooler things ive seen in a while (including other samus action figures that were on display at the ny toy fair last week)

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Red 3183 View Post
    I used Smooth-On C-1515 Semi-Rigid Resin. I don't have an actual tutorial but there is a link to a quick demo of how I did it on post #3. If you have other questions, just let me know.
    Oh Red, I have already read your method of making the joints. I just want to get your permission on using the idea. I case if you see my work on internet, you wouldn't feel like I stole your idea. :-)

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by quasimodox View Post
    Oh Red, I have already read your method of making the joints. I just want to get your permission on using the idea. I case if you see my work on internet, you wouldn't feel like I stole your idea. :-)
    Oh, go ahead. I wouldn't put it on the internet and not expect people to use it. But thanks for asking.

    As Samus Aran would say "............"

    DA: http://red3183.deviantart.com/
    Toy Soup: http://kylerobinsoncustoms.com/toysoup/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Could You please post a picture of detail on how you make the joints?

    also i know you use liquid plastic resin for the parts but what do you use to make the moulds with ?




    A+++ its very inspiring

    -Wyrm
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook