Page 16 of 81 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    thanks for wip!nice character!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    looks fekin great man !

Thanks
    man ur just totaly aweozme! do you know what i whould love? if its not to much to ask, if u could record some of ur proces and make a short video or sometihng, cause u have a verry interesting style and it whould be really cool n interesting too se how u work

anyway, great update, those monster warrior dudes are awezome.

and btw, your the guy who mailed bobby chiu too right? man its awezome youve develpoed so much!
    Last edited by Lotet; March 4th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    hey man I just cruised your sketchbook, truly insperational work you have here. Your brush strokes are so solid and it looks like you crank this stuff out so fast and effortlessly. Ill be watching for sure!

Thanks
    loving those characters man keep them coming
    Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Cole, you are really good man, I really love the work. I heard about your story on Bobby's podcast. I totally feel where you are coming from. I to am trying to improve myself and I am self taught as well. Though I am not as good as you I hope to be where you are at, cause man... Well your art speaks for itself. One question, what is your process for coming up for ideas. Do they just come for you, or do see something and get inspired. Anyway keep up the good work. Never quit.

Sweden, Gotland gamedesign& graphic education
    Thanks
    first i must say that your latest update is awsome! the second thing i need to ask is more a "curasity" do you have a specific layer for every thing you do for exampel her hair are on one layer until you really are happy with it and then make it to one layer or do you wait with it until the whole painting is finish? i hope you can understand the question i have a little problem with writing with mixing with the pass and the precent well thats all for now and good luck with the finishing thuches on the mage

Thanks
    Hey everyone! Thank you so much for your crits and advice and compliments.

I am super glad everyone seems to be liking my style.

there are a lot of questions to get to, so im just going to post real fast and then start answering them throughout my day lol.

I just wanted to post some of my anatomy studies and a concept i started on a couple hours ago of a colonial marine.

Also an update on the Fire Chick, and a pic of some of my usual anatomy studies done at borders with ballpoint pen.

My anatomy studies are from my head using books more as a ref then just copying exaclty from them. I say this not to be like "i dont need refference haha" i say that because thats why they look like crap, cause I am not really using reff, i also learn faster i find this way. when i used to copy just out of hogarth or what have you, yeah, i can draw that exact forearm in that exact position now, but i wasnt paying attention to what i was supposed to be paying attention to, when you attempt to do your studies from your head, you run into a lot more problems, which is great, cause then you get to ask the right questions to answer them, so once i find that problem, its back to the book and finding out where that muscle tapers or connects or what have you. And i use my studies as a chance to practice my lighting skills as well, kill two birds with one stone. So i try to light each figure that i do a different way and challenge me and make me think, latley i find that a good strong light, followed by a low key bounce, and a rim looks pretty nice for single character concepts.

Also, i am finding that if i write down the name of the muscle and bone everytime i draw it, it really helps me remember the names and that there is actually a muscle in that spot. I really dont care about the names, but when you know them, you're like....theres 3 muscles in that spot instead of two, or what have you. So i reccomend anyone who has severe ADD like me, to try this method out.

Anyhoot, i will be posting throughout the day and hope to hear from everyone, and thanks again for the compliments.

Cheers
    [B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]Sketchbook Poop

www.thecolehole.blogspot.com - Blog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colepoopface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm liking that marine! Watch out for his balance though. Right now he's falling to the right. We want more!

Thanks
    Jake Kobrin- Thank you very much for the huge compliment. As far as being the best sketchbook on here, lol, no way, but thank you very much for the compliment.

To answer your question about my painting style.

For me, i try to get out of black and white as soon as possible. As soon as i have enough information to take me into color, i just dive in. I would say if i put a time frame on it, about 15 minutes after i start the sketch. I dont know why i like to move to color so fast, i think it might be because color adds a lot of mood and feeling for me, so i get a little more into the piece once i add it.

As far as knowing when to do more work on my piece, i basically ask myself "does this still look like crap....?" and if the answer is yes, i continue working. Although, one of my biggest enemies in any piece is when i spend more than usually 3 days on it. I am relluctant to come back to it cause i want to start on something new.

Thats one of the reasons i love concepting. Get in, get off, get out.

Now as far as backgrounds go. Most of the time im just thinking of character and the actual design of that character, a background is exactly that, a background, something there not to distract and take away for the character.

If my art director does want this creature/character to be in a specific zone or area, i will of course take that into consideration when desiging them. Just try to think of a material that speaks about the character, like the fire guys are very rough, gritty, hard, ugly. So i went with a very rocky stone, castle feel. I wouldnt stick them on lush green grass thats for sure.

Hope this helps a little bit, and i'll try to get something that records my desktop. If anyone knows any links or anything that does that pleaes let me know.

Cheers

Thanks
    like how the fire chick is coming along. cool marine as well.
    more importantly i really dig how you do your anatomy studies. clever way to really learn the muscles and bones. specially since you start getting into how they look in different views, like you said: it answers a lot of questions.
    good stuff. keep it up

Thanks
    Thanks Gus. I appreciate the compliment.

Crazydude- Thanks dude. I appreciate the compliment. As far as how many layers i use. I really only have about one or two usually for most. If im doing enviroments, it might be one for each ground, foreground, mid, and back. But for the most part, just two for character designs. I A. Hate managing a lot of layers, and it slows my comp down ridiculously. B. It just slows me down a lot cause im worrying about what layer what things are on, and i have the worst memory, so i always fuck something up and have to merge them anyway.

I do however create a new layer whenever attempting any huge design decisions like a huge pipe going across a character, or a design decision on armor and stuff like that. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks
    Great to see you didn't just have a flash in the pan thread that dissapeared after 2 days, also really great to see the process of how you became and strive
    thanks!
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    A.m.a.z.i.n.g

Thanks
    This SB is just insane!
    LOVE your characters so much. Great expressions, vibe, colours.. Everything!
    Where do you get inspiration from?

Five glistening stars and a subscription added.
    Give me more!

Best wishes

~Em
    ----------------

Beware, it's a crappy Sketchbook.

"We are all heroes! You and me and Boo..."

Page 16 of 81 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast