Sketchbook: Concepts and Sketches by Cole Eastburn - Page 8

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeeaah face is waay more feminine now. I'm thinking either the head is too small, or the thighs are too big? Not sure, might just be me, regardless finish this one up it looks awesome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup, gotta agree with Miles up there. Heads definitely too small now compared to the rest of the body. Lookin' kick arse though, just fix the head damnit! ><

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool. dig the weapon too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook, enjoying it on max

"I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last two, Fatty and the Women look great, I love the way you did the fire on both. Fatty looks heavy and well grounded, Thanks for sharing the process shots.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NICE, the one with the ailen slutter that was nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice, definatly a smokin hot lady, both literaly and figurativly. The back leg seems a little close to the front leg, since she is holding somthing so massive, I would imagine a wider stance, but what ever looks hot man.

edit. PS Melted shoulder pads really make it too

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very impressive, Cole!
    Your character output is fabulous, keep them coming!
    Love the firey dudes!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow gorgeous work. i love it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Cole
    Im new to your work and its really impressive! I love the designs of the characters, and its incredible how you manage to keep the same colour pallette working over the different characters so that they work as a collective.
    If i may offer up a minor criticism, I think that the breasts on the last character here do not look right. Im talking particularly about the left breast (her left), if you draw through the figure the breast seems to be deatched from the body. Might be worth another look?

Great stuff man, you have a lovely painting style, thanks for sharing!

Nick

2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow dude, way to spin kick me in the ass... I love it all so much! My inspiration level just blew up all over the place and now i cant wait to friggin draw some super pissed dudes. Thanks for all the greatness, once you fix that ladies' head I'm sure it'll all just flow together into another great piece.

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear mother of a camel. Wow.

Five stars all the way!

http://www.sakuhatakka.com/ - image portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow she's so hot that her boobs are glowing! What else can i say that have not been said already, really great designs and good job on making them feel like they belong toghether. One advice I want to give you is to pay more attention to construction when you're painting. Other than that keep up the great work. I'll be checking back soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This latest character rocks the shit out!

Just gonna throw a little nitpick down, 'coz I don't like licking too much ass.
    I think there's something a little bit off about her left (her left) iron bra cup.
    Maybe it's a little bit too far off to the left, or it's not turned away enough. I'm not really sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is honestly I think the best sketchbook I've seen on this site. I absolutely loved your article in IFX. I had no idea you were on CA!
    Can I ask you a question about your grayscale to color to final technique? When I start in grayscale I basically render the same if I was working directly in color. Once I add the color overlays I'm always reluctant at best (if I do anything) to add more. I try to get it basically perfect with grayscale. However I've noticed that most artists (You & Bumskee among them) do most of the work after color has been applied. When do you stop your black and white image and go to color? Also once you're done with color how do you know when to do more work?
    Also I have a huge amount of trouble with backgrounds. I can never choose backgrounds that work with my image and I never know when to make things darker or lighter etc. How do you choose your background and how do you know when to add certain tones or colors to it?
    Thanks,
    Jake

p.s. Subscribed and voted 5 stars!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for wip!nice character!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks fekin great man !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man ur just totaly aweozme! do you know what i whould love? if its not to much to ask, if u could record some of ur proces and make a short video or sometihng, cause u have a verry interesting style and it whould be really cool n interesting too se how u work

anyway, great update, those monster warrior dudes are awezome.

and btw, your the guy who mailed bobby chiu too right? man its awezome youve develpoed so much!

Last edited by Lotet; March 4th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man I just cruised your sketchbook, truly insperational work you have here. Your brush strokes are so solid and it looks like you crank this stuff out so fast and effortlessly. Ill be watching for sure!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loving those characters man keep them coming

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cole, you are really good man, I really love the work. I heard about your story on Bobby's podcast. I totally feel where you are coming from. I to am trying to improve myself and I am self taught as well. Though I am not as good as you I hope to be where you are at, cause man... Well your art speaks for itself. One question, what is your process for coming up for ideas. Do they just come for you, or do see something and get inspired. Anyway keep up the good work. Never quit.

Sweden, Gotland gamedesign& graphic education
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first i must say that your latest update is awsome! the second thing i need to ask is more a "curasity" do you have a specific layer for every thing you do for exampel her hair are on one layer until you really are happy with it and then make it to one layer or do you wait with it until the whole painting is finish? i hope you can understand the question i have a little problem with writing with mixing with the pass and the precent well thats all for now and good luck with the finishing thuches on the mage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone! Thank you so much for your crits and advice and compliments.

I am super glad everyone seems to be liking my style.

there are a lot of questions to get to, so im just going to post real fast and then start answering them throughout my day lol.

I just wanted to post some of my anatomy studies and a concept i started on a couple hours ago of a colonial marine.

Also an update on the Fire Chick, and a pic of some of my usual anatomy studies done at borders with ballpoint pen.

My anatomy studies are from my head using books more as a ref then just copying exaclty from them. I say this not to be like "i dont need refference haha" i say that because thats why they look like crap, cause I am not really using reff, i also learn faster i find this way. when i used to copy just out of hogarth or what have you, yeah, i can draw that exact forearm in that exact position now, but i wasnt paying attention to what i was supposed to be paying attention to, when you attempt to do your studies from your head, you run into a lot more problems, which is great, cause then you get to ask the right questions to answer them, so once i find that problem, its back to the book and finding out where that muscle tapers or connects or what have you. And i use my studies as a chance to practice my lighting skills as well, kill two birds with one stone. So i try to light each figure that i do a different way and challenge me and make me think, latley i find that a good strong light, followed by a low key bounce, and a rim looks pretty nice for single character concepts.

Also, i am finding that if i write down the name of the muscle and bone everytime i draw it, it really helps me remember the names and that there is actually a muscle in that spot. I really dont care about the names, but when you know them, you're like....theres 3 muscles in that spot instead of two, or what have you. So i reccomend anyone who has severe ADD like me, to try this method out.

Anyhoot, i will be posting throughout the day and hope to hear from everyone, and thanks again for the compliments.

Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images          
    [B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]Sketchbook Poop

www.thecolehole.blogspot.com - Blog

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Colepoopface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking that marine! Watch out for his balance though. Right now he's falling to the right. We want more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jake Kobrin- Thank you very much for the huge compliment. As far as being the best sketchbook on here, lol, no way, but thank you very much for the compliment.

To answer your question about my painting style.

For me, i try to get out of black and white as soon as possible. As soon as i have enough information to take me into color, i just dive in. I would say if i put a time frame on it, about 15 minutes after i start the sketch. I dont know why i like to move to color so fast, i think it might be because color adds a lot of mood and feeling for me, so i get a little more into the piece once i add it.

As far as knowing when to do more work on my piece, i basically ask myself "does this still look like crap....?" and if the answer is yes, i continue working. Although, one of my biggest enemies in any piece is when i spend more than usually 3 days on it. I am relluctant to come back to it cause i want to start on something new.

Thats one of the reasons i love concepting. Get in, get off, get out.

Now as far as backgrounds go. Most of the time im just thinking of character and the actual design of that character, a background is exactly that, a background, something there not to distract and take away for the character.

If my art director does want this creature/character to be in a specific zone or area, i will of course take that into consideration when desiging them. Just try to think of a material that speaks about the character, like the fire guys are very rough, gritty, hard, ugly. So i went with a very rocky stone, castle feel. I wouldnt stick them on lush green grass thats for sure.

Hope this helps a little bit, and i'll try to get something that records my desktop. If anyone knows any links or anything that does that pleaes let me know.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    like how the fire chick is coming along. cool marine as well.
    more importantly i really dig how you do your anatomy studies. clever way to really learn the muscles and bones. specially since you start getting into how they look in different views, like you said: it answers a lot of questions.
    good stuff. keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Gus. I appreciate the compliment.

Crazydude- Thanks dude. I appreciate the compliment. As far as how many layers i use. I really only have about one or two usually for most. If im doing enviroments, it might be one for each ground, foreground, mid, and back. But for the most part, just two for character designs. I A. Hate managing a lot of layers, and it slows my comp down ridiculously. B. It just slows me down a lot cause im worrying about what layer what things are on, and i have the worst memory, so i always fuck something up and have to merge them anyway.

I do however create a new layer whenever attempting any huge design decisions like a huge pipe going across a character, or a design decision on armor and stuff like that. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you didn't just have a flash in the pan thread that dissapeared after 2 days, also really great to see the process of how you became and strive
    thanks!

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A.m.a.z.i.n.g

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This SB is just insane!
    LOVE your characters so much. Great expressions, vibe, colours.. Everything!
    Where do you get inspiration from?

Five glistening stars and a subscription added.
    Give me more!

Best wishes

~Em

----------------

Beware, it's a crappy Sketchbook.

"We are all heroes! You and me and Boo..."

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 35