Page 9 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    whoa man your updatating real faaaaaaast!

great stuff, loving to see how you work!

more more more!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow, These Luk Totally Awsum!

Thanks
    sawwweeeeet! fatty has a great sense of balance even though his belly goes out so far. loving the progress pictures too!! inspired! keep it up

oh and that first painting reminds me of starcraft if that means anything to you

Thanks
    whooaaa craazy cole! once again with the demented demon looking people...how about you paint some bunnies on santy claus lap for a change?

the fat dude is looking reaaal cool! I can't wait to see what the creatures from this furnace hell look like! >D makes me wanna do a couple of my own!
    There you go man, inspirating other people with your twisted ideas. damn you!

¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Fantastic work Cole. So many great things going on here: imaginative designs, solid render skills, great use of color.... and it's totally awesome to watch the process unfolding like this.

Bobby mentioned that you worked really hard to improve (and it shows) so I was wondering if you could share how you improved; what specific exercises you did, how many hours per day, courses or books that helped, etc.

Also, how long did it take to start landing pro gigs and how did you get those gigs? did you apply directly or did they contact you?

Any insights you could share are much appreciated, thanks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ArmoredGorilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Killer stuff, really awesome skills.
    I love your paintings.

5 stars!

Post more!

Thanks
    Your work is very well rendered. You have a good eye for atmosphere and texture.

I did notice some things about DB that could be heavily improved, or at least taken into consideration for future work that you create.

Alignment:

Attachment 309899

It's been said in this thread already, but the deviation of the various angles and perspectives in the character to ground plane throw the character off balance and make him look awkwardly at conflict with the perspective. His Mace is illustrated at eye level perspective, but the character is being viewed from an upper right perspective, telling us that we, as the viewer, are hovering above DB, looking downward on him. The resulting view should generate more circular volumes in the mace, being that we are looking downward on it. Among other things, the Pauldrons are not aligned either. If you are illustrating a character from dynamic angles, guide lines are invaluable to making sure you're keeping everything on the same perspective plane. Also, notice how you knock your lateral alignment out of whack when you render the chest and stomach.

I'll demonstrate what your proportions look like without the armor:

Attachment 309903

I did another quick paintover as well:

Attachment 309900

The biggest issue I'm seeing is with the legs, and their positioning when seen from the angle in which your character is positioned. Also, the stomach has no muscle mass that I can see for a character so intimidating.

It would benefit you greatly if you kept a separate layer of accurate proportions that you could use throughout the rendering of your work to ensure your volumes and proportions remain accurate.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    not that I am at all an athority, but the last paintover makes him look really far leaned back, esp with leening on the mace. I do agree with the stomach mass though.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Sweden, Gotland gamedesign& graphic education
    Thanks
    woaw your characters and creatures are just so damn good! and just want to say that you really can kick some ass with just your imaginenation

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the compliments. I really appreciate them, keeps the furness going.

And thanks very much armor for the kind words. Bobby is an awesome dude and amazing artist...he could be an amazing dude too actually. He put up with me geeking out on him on the phone which is very cool that he let me call him. Anyhoot, for the most part my training is this....

Get up, make cereal and or pop tarts. (pop tarts from scratch of course)

Head down to barnes and noble and do life drawing of people for about 2 hours, and then look at refference books and study animals and rocks and trees and that sort of thing. Then study out of my anatomy books for another couple hours.

Head home and start my digital paintings.

Rinse and Repeat for 6 months. If you, or anyone for that matter, want to chat with me on what I think about when im studying or what im looking for, feel free to IM me on aim. Creativegoomba is my screen name.

As far as pro gigs are concerned I was very surprised. They kind of just found me, I posted on cg society a lot with my progress and most noticed me through that I guess. But as soon as I started studying hardcore, good things started to happen. I actually got contacted by Blizzard out of freaking nowhere and they offered me two jobs "senior concept artits" and Senior texture artist". And i didnt even apply for the job or anything. I shit my pants, and replyed of course, but they found someone else for the job . What a cock tease.

Books that I can reccomend-Atlas of Human anatomy for the artist by Peck-Hoggarth of course-anything from Andrew Loomis-Color harmony by Kessler

Now I live in an area where the nearest bookstore is like 35 minutes away. So basically now I get up, try to finish up whatever concepts im working on, then go do my anatomy studies and then I picked up some casts online for like 60 bucks a pop and I draw from those to get some life drawing in.

Thanks for taking the time to do those paint overs odin. I appreciate your help. I am self taught and pretty much just a couple months ago started studying perspective. Being self taught sometimes is like trying to solve math problems that you have seen for the first time, on your own. I'm just like..."so a-x = perspective?" All i know of it is from the two books I have. A couple things why I rendered this the way i did though...

My character isnt standing straight up, he is leaning back and tilted slightly to the camera as far as torso and weight are concerned. So the body bends, and the centerline of the character is now a little bit in front of the head is it not?

The mace I didnt want sitting flat on the ground plane. I wanted it tiltled on its side and when that occurs I think its related strictly to the eye's point of view and doesnt really adhere to the verticals in the piece?

And i can totally add some more ripped abs, but i actually try to shy away from making my chracters like mark walberg after some people were like..."its coles six pack again" I used to put ripped abs on everything. Plus, i work out....do you know how hard it is to get really ripped abs! its fucking ridiculous, no carbs after 5 helps.

But the left leg on this guy could use a little more convergance with the shoulders. Going to move that up a little bit.
    Cheers, and thanks again for all the help
    Last edited by Colepoopface; February 23rd, 2008 at 07:02 PM.
    [B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]Sketchbook Poop

www.thecolehole.blogspot.com - Blog

Thanks
    hey Cole man, thanks a bunch for that info. Really puts things into perspective for not only myself, but for alot of other individuals that are just as interested. Your kicking real ass man, Keep going!

Thanks
    It's no problem at all Coin, thanks for the appreciation and ecouragment. One day I hope to teach everything I am learning, which I dont know about though, cause I basically just repeat a lot of what I just read lol, so it would kind of be like plagerism...if thats how you spell that. All I know is I really like art, learning, and teaching......and video games.

Here is an update on fatty.

Thanks
    Wicked stuff...your study schedule sounds hardcore my friend. If I could remove all distractions, quick work and have a smaller social life, I could do it too!

Im generally ok with the allignment issues that were pointed out, it definately strikes me as he is leaning quite deeply towards the camera...and those perspective lines that were drawn didnt lead to a vanishing point, though they were good points to keep in mind!

fatty is lookin nice - im not totally sold on the mouth piece, i feel like showing more of his face and something a bit less clumsy might be ok? Something for scale in this pic would rock also!

Thanks
    hey man , i really admire to you art passion! Just keep it up
    and continue to post new works here.

Thanks
    lol, I like the mouthpiece though, even though its huge and would neverwork in real life. Welcome to video games I guess, aka World of warcraft. Have you seen the shoulders in that game....or weapons for that matter lol?

I agree with your crit on scale, Thats why I threw in this handy skull.

Page 9 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast