Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Geistdel- First thanks for the compliment, very appreciated.

As far as where i get my ideas from. umm...it varies. For the fire themed characters i just did, i was watching howls moving castle, and there is a shot of an old coal furness in there and i was like...HELLOOOO, that would be cool to design a character based off of those shapes. Then sometimes they just come to me like a poop in my brain. I like to do prismacolor sketches sometimes to find shapes and then go from there. I basically just try to think of any idea, and then just try to make it cool.

Anything can be made cool, take the key maker from the matrix for example...i fucking loved that character...just this hunched over dude with a billion keys and he has no trouble finding which one he needed, that was cool to me. So if you can make a person who makes keys for a living cool....kud-fuckin-dos, and anything is possible.
    [B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]Sketchbook Poop

www.thecolehole.blogspot.com - Blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Marine update.

Thanks
    First, the marine is looking awesome. I really like his skin tone and details in the straps / belt, seems very authentic. Secondly This is maybee a too personal of question and if you dont want to you dont by any meens have to. Its less about you and more about industry standard rates any how but, How much do you get paid? is it a salary, by piece ext. Also what are the benifits like for health insurance. If you dont want to answer you dont have to, just trying to get an idea of what a top notch artist gets paid corperatly and wether or not investing in schooling is somthing I want to do right now. Thanks again.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    wow...full of inspiration... I love your colors, interesting designs.
    where are you working?

Thanks
    Thanks for the props first off.

I dont mind sharing.

Well, at the moment i do freelance work. But I was flown out to LA this year and got a job with NC Softs concept art studio in santa monica. It was going to be awesome, amazing team of artists, and philup fucking straub was going to be my art director. It was a sweet setup. The cool thing for me was they said i was the only self taught artist that they interviewed, and the only white guy they interviewed, everyone else was oriental and graduated art center or cal arts. So i was like...thats kind of flatering. I am a person who really doesnt care about money at all, the only reason i need it is to afford a place to live and pay my internet bill, and eat. And i told them this, and luckily the nicest lady in the entire world was the hiring director and manager of the company. She asked me how much money i would like to earn and i said "whatever i can live off of, and maybe have enough to send back to my folks, so probably like 50 k a year" and for LA...in santa monica...is like 35 a year i think everywhere else. She said "hmm, let me see if i can get you more" and she did. She got me up to 65 k a year, full benifits. You usually get dental, vision, and medical. Plus bonuses and other awesome perks like free energy drinks and cereal. But basically right after i was hired that month the company released Tabula Rasa and it apparently didnt do to hot, and they folded the branch into the rest of the company.

I was flown out again 2 weeks ago for a job interview with GearBox Studios in Dallas, and still havent heard back from them, but i am hopeful on that front too. They have pretty much the same deal, medical, dental, vision, and salaries are right up there with the rest of the industry. Usually you'll start around 40 a year i think is the average for a concept artist. Again, they could feed me fucking crackers and put me in a box in the corner of the office though so long as i was drawing for a living and learning.

My story can really be explained best by this podcast by the amazing artist bobby chiu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQAeo1gYRyw I would listen to the whole thing, but the part that starts talking about me is 17:30 seconds into it.

At the moment I do freelance work for wizards of the coast and various smaller companies and usually charge something like 1,000 something a pop for an illustration depending on the companies budget. Its fun as hell, and nerve wracking because of money management. Also i really like working wiht a team of artists rather than alone in my house. You learn more, and its a more positive atmosphere usually. Freelance art is the only job where the client tells you how much its going to cost lol, a plumber doesnt walk into your bathroom and go..."this job will probably run 1400, and then you go"..."ooooo....thats a little high, how about you do it for 800 and like it" "but with all the time it takes and taxes and then medical im really not bringing home that muc....." "alright, so its settled."

My bottom line is that I just want to learn. Learn learn learn. Most important thing i think for an artist.

Best advice I can give so far in life...

Don't go to the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale....ever.

and thats pretty much the only definate thing i know in life so far.
    Last edited by Colepoopface; March 5th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Colepoopface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whoa, Cole, I definitely didn't expect to come across your sketchbook randomly. I heard the bobby chiu podcast about 2 months ago and the story about you has inspired the hell outta me. It should be required listening in school. Just goes to show that all this is an endurance race. Freakin awesome work man. I hope you get that sweet in-studio concept job soon!

Thanks
    I'm so thrilled to find your sketchbook here! I've loved your CGTalk portfolio for the longest time, and to come here and see WIPs is just ..fantastic.

Eagerly awaiting updates

Thanks
    Wow, your work is amazing. Love this set of characters. Are you using Painter or PhotoShop to render them? Your work makes me want to work harder to improve upon my own creations, so thanks!!

C

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words. And im super glad my work seems to be inspiring people. Its one of the biggest reasons i study art, so thanks very much.

I use photoshop to render pretty much all my images now. I have dabbled in painter, and love the program, im just a lot faster at photoshop and until i have time to learn the program I have to stick with PS. Also, my computer is a couple years old, and painter is a little heavier on hardware than photoshop.

I use the same 3 to 4 brushes for every piece. The standard photoshop chalk brush for about 90 percent, then airbrush for softening some edges and light sources, a grainy brush for gravel and rough surfaces, and then the airbrush set to dodge mode for doing highlights and glares.

J.P. Targete said something that really helped out my thought process for just a simple way to think of brushes, and that is "brushes can be placed in two categories, hard, and soft", so all you really need to ask yourself is what type of surface your dealing with and then use the proper brush for that surface. The same way a traditional artist would use a sponge to do a rocky texture, or a balloon for a very smooth smeared look.

here is an update on the marine

Thanks
    I have to say this is really one of the stronger sketchbooks I've seen here. Not just because of the caliber of work but the tenacity and quality of study. Those anatomy (pushing your memory) and lighting combo studies are fantastic. Great stuff, man. I wouldn't worry too much about a full-time spot = you're a no-brainer candidate. It's all about timing now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 911 Posts
    Ah now he's standing more on his feet. I'm liking the color palette. Keep it up Cole!

Thanks
    looking great and GRITTY! love the steam punk/furnace characters you had going. and the marine has got some nice attitude going. Ive got to start getting some more inventive characters in my sketch fosho!, thanks for the catalyst!

Thanks
    wow cole i just happened upon this thread and WOW... superb stuff man your PS renderings are stellar. was there anything other than practice that really helped you in your renderings? i'm starting to get into it myself and i'm looking for any sorta help i can get. keep up the brilliant work, can't wait to see more

RM

Thanks
    Other than practice?....hmmm. Well, i know a huge part of it is just study. Since all my education comes from books I know the top 3 i have are "atlas of human anatomy for the artist, by Peck." and the andrew loomis books are all amazing. you can find them online like i at this link. www.fineart.sk

For the most part, life drawing is very important, but also studying from that and really really thinking about what you're studying. It's kind of the difference between copying a math problem, and solving it. If you just write down the math problem, sure, you have the numbers in the right spots and it looks like you solved it, but do you actually know why the answer came out to 35. Wow...i cant believe i used math as an example. Anyway, its like that, so while you're studying, think of the why's that are involved in it. Why does that object look shiney, what makes it look shiney, that sort of thinking i think has been one of the biggest changes in my work.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colepoopface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Beautiful work, very inspiring.

Thanks
    Wow, excellent work my friend! i love the silhouettes
    Just draw your ass off. Whatever you do, don't -- stop -- drawing...

Thanks
    The marine is looking good!

Thanks
    Thanks for the compliments. You like my sillouettes huh?.....well, i dont mean to toot my own horn, but i do do some really great black blobs, what can i say.

marine update

Thanks
    Like reading about how you work and think. Always a pleasure reading an artists way of thinking
    Now finish that marine and post a high resolution picture of it so we get all the details

Chris
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Loving the artwork there poopface, keep up the great work.

Thanks
    Thanks for the props Man.

Heres an update on the marine, so i would say this is about 9-10 hours into it, im almost finished with him. I could put a lot more work into this, but i want to move on to the next two and then probably come back and tighten this a little more.

Thanks
    your back!! how was your trip?

hey btw i have the project finished.. couldnt get the book.. but what i did instead was just stay at borders and used one of their other books..

hey could you be on aim tommorrow? ill send you the project see wut you think about it..

Thanks
    dude, your stuff is really off the hook man!!! love the last concept really cool. nice of you to explain your anatomy studying process as well, i have to agree with you on the fact that when you just draw what's on the photograph your using you don't come across as many problems as you do when doing it from your head simply because everything is already there. The lighting idea is also very cool and an efficient way to learn. have to give it a try

Thanks
    Dude. I dont know why i glazed over you telling the tale of where youre getting your bread and butter... what with you flying out for interviews and the like.... before I posted last. BUT i did read em' and MAD PROPS to you for your sucess, and it IS, even if the company caved, and your still making ends meet via freelance. The fact that youve got headhunters a callin' and did land a sweet spot for all intents and purposes is an Accomplishment Many of us fellow CA'rs would be proud to share!

what I like the best about it, with that Santa Monica spot, was your being "self taught" which i share, that they still hooked you up over some cat from Artcenter (which in socal, is pretty much the number 1 art school)! I was accepted there, but after just shy of a month I peaced out on it... Im not hating on the school, cuz its full of mad talent and the campus is fresh! but theres just something to be said.... nay SHOUTED, for those that got the grass roots skillz and land the same job as those that have been enlisted in elite schools and courses and shelled out $$$$ when all they needed was the drive, passion, TALENT and sketchbook!

I hope to start making ripples in this community as well, working a deadend non-art job to make ends meet cuts into my inspiration time, but THIS place and sketchbooks like yours helps get my focus back in order and on what counts!

heres the to the struggle! Im with ya.

Thanks
    Thanks smoke. Very kind of you to say such things.

Yeah, once she told me that all the people she was interviewing were from art center i was like..."so...should i just get back on the plane now?... lol" But the thing that i guess set me apart was just my willingness to learn, and my love for video games and the inspiration that goes into making them. She told me one of the things she liked best about me is that I want to improve, and never want to stop learning. They said pretty much everyone who came out of art center had this whole "im the fucking shit cause i went to art center...so when should i start, and how many people will i be directing on this project" sort of attitude. Where mine is more like..."i suck, please help me learn so i can afford to eat tomorrow, by the way, you look great today!" sort of attitude.

A biiiiig part of working in a studio is how you get along with your team i think. Artwork, and for that matter comes out a lot better when its a collaboritve effort. And even know im sure i wasnt even close to being the best artist that they interviewed talent and skill wise, i told the truth, and was myself. And that works. Honestly, i was nervous as hell of course, and when i get nervous...i curse even more than usual. And in my first interview session i must of said "fuck" like 34859354309 times. And the art team was like "wow....that was the most fucks....i have ever heard...ever." So you could say i made quite an impression right off the bat lol.

Anyway, i guess the point is to have a good attitude and just be yourself. I konw that theres a professional way to approach it, but i usually dont talk like a robot, so why would i act like one when someone is trying to get a feel for who i really am. I kind of hate the whole professional stamp that you have to do on interviews. Although, i did where a shirt and tie...only cause i too sometimes like to get dressed up....so shoot me.

Thanks
    Hey Quick question: How do you make all those silhouettes. do you create a picture then just darken it or is there some form of ps munipulation in there. Also how long does it take you on average to finish a piece, and finally... Would you mind showcase some of your older work. I would love to see the progression of you skill and style. Keep on Keepin on.

Thanks
    everyone seems to like those sills lol. Actually, i just take the lasso tool and make a shape that pertains to what i want to draw, in that case it was a humanoid type of creature, so i made sure it had two legs and then thats pertty much it. After i make a general outline, i ctrl+backspace to fill it with pure black. I would like to check out the andrew jones thumbnail thing though, i hear thats pretty good.

It usually takes me to do a nice character painting...2-3 days. If its just a rough concept, probably like 5 hours.

Ugh....i hate my old stuff though lol, but if you guys want to see it thats cool with me. I'll see if i can find any, most of it is on my website www.eastburnart.com

I'll see if i can find some of my realllly old stuff, maybe even some stuff from highschool where you guys would be like..wow...what a freaking loser.

Thanks
    ! I love your concepts! and i really love looking through your progress, my eyes bug out in the first shot, and my smile keeps getting wider and wider with each stage haha. thanks for the inspiration

Thanks
    This thread is on fire!!! Love your colors, textures and designs. Keep it going!

Thanks
    wow, awsome sketchbook, your characters are amazing. i love all of the progress shots, keep up the amazing work
    Blog: My Blog

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast