Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    When you're contacted by a company or individual to create an image, how much do you normally charge?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thank you Cloidoz.

To answer your question yes. I started at the art institute because they just got a game art and design program. So i thought since i wanted to do...game art, it would be up my alley. I was wrong. They had no teachers who were actually in, or had ever been in the industry. And i only had 5 classes on drawing, the rest of them after the first semester were computer modeling and animation, programming, rigging, and lighting and graphic design type of shit. Which is fine, but not what i wanted to do with my life. Lets put it this way, if you take a look at the screens i put up of that game i worked on, thats how much i sucked back then...and i was better than my teachers, so i was very frustrated.

Going to that school was the worst decision i have ever made in my life. They dont care at all about the students, and every student is just a walking wallet to them. It gets me so fucking pissed just thinking about it. They seriously could be shut down with some of the knowledge i have on the place. Which i am going to share now. SO FUCK YOU ART INSTITUTE OF FORT LAUDERDALE!!!

The biggest thing that made me quit, besides the fact that the entire place sukcs big donkey cock, was the when all my co-workers from AWE Games started to work as teachers for the school. They were desperate for teachers since no one from the industry would move to crappy south florida for the even crappier sallary they were probably offering.

So first my friend Andy was hired to teach using the unreal engine. To which i replied, "but you have never used it" and he said "i know...i have to learn it before class today! ha" And i was like...well, no wonder i get the feeling my teachers dont know shit and cant help me.

So then my co worker Paul got hired. To which i said.."what do they have you teaching?" and he said, "Digital compositing" to which i replied, "but you have never even done that" to which he said, "i fucking know, i am reading a tutorial right now which im going to have to teach tonight" so every day at work he would research what he was supposed to teach that night, then go do that.

So i just got so discouraged and lost all hope for that school right after that and said...fuck this piece of shit school and all the staff that run it, and bounced. Its just sad, they also only have class once a week for 4 hours, and usually its more like 2 cause the teacher wont show up, or they take an hour recess or something. Its horrible. I dont know about other art institutes, but i know the one for a fact in fort lauderdale...is a piece of shit, and dont ever ever ever evevefeveveveevevevevefjdfjafdjaijeeve ever....go there.

I am sorry to raint, but i just feel so bad for the students that go there now. I am going to do something about that school once i get situated this year though. People deserve to be treated better, especially artists who go though enough shit as it is anyway.

ahhhhh, that felt good, heres some more anat studies and practices from today.
    [B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]Sketchbook Poop

www.thecolehole.blogspot.com - Blog

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colepoopface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    To answer your edit questions lol, I am 25 years old. And i found some of my stuff from earlier this year....god help me for showing these.

I wrote old on them to stress the fact that these are in fact....horrible peices of poopy which should be burned immediatley.

When i was first starting out my rate was reallly cheap. Usually 450 bucks for an illustration. But you have to keep in mind that you're going to have to pay taxes on that, and not to mention your insurances. so after 450 bucks, i end up with about 20 dollars in pocket, tis the way of the starving artist. But now I usually shoot for 1,000-2,500 depending on the job.
    Last edited by Colepoopface; March 9th, 2008 at 05:59 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colepoopface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wou! I was going to edit my previous comment >.< but you updated your sb...
    soo I've to write a new one

first, thank you so much for the large answer, I didnt expect it, but I like it, as I like the fact that you dont want to become rich doing what you want and like to do, you only want to do it and live its nice, I read the same comming from Marko Djurdjevic (he wasnt comfortable drawing for money, losing the passion like when he was younger). And I like your humility

again, thanks for take you the time to answer

cheers!

ps. I havent rated your thread yet, I'm going to do it now!

I forgot to mention one thing, I thought that those kind of problems only happened in countries like Chile, in South America (where I live). But,, woou man, that institute is really a shit! what do you expect from a teacher who dont know what he is going to teach in the next class???? they're only thieving money to the poor students ...

edit... (lol)

"The domain eastburnart.com has expired. Please contact your domain name registration service provider for further assistance. If you need help identifying your service provider, visit http://domainhelp.tucows.com. "

Thanks
    lol, yeah, im in the process of getting my official site back up. Stupid hosting service, would of been nice of them to let me know before they actually close my site.

I am very lucky it wasnt out 2 weeks ago when i went for my job interview, cause i used the site as like a little portfoilio example, seeing how i dont have a print port. So it would have been quite funny, and very sad at the same time, cause they have a huge flat plasma screen usually that they put your work on for everyone to bombard with comments while you look on in horror. So it could have gone a little like this "yeah, let me just go to my site...and oohhhhhhh crap."

Thanks
    hahahah you're funny too xDDD

Thanks
    Marine update.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 911 Posts
    Come on Cole that old stuff isn't that bad, specially that turtle. The marine is looking great I like the color pallette it seems like he's in the middle of some nuclear war. Keep it up!

Thanks
    cool oldies! hey go on aim cole..

Thanks
    I agree with fantasyartist, your old stuff isn't half bad. Its actually pretty good. Did you do any specific exercises to improve or did you judt keep doing what you are doing and it happened that way. Sorry for all the questions, but I can definately relate to you in that I am also self taught and I find it really hard to instruct myself and see improvement. Anyway thanks for the showcase and keep it coming man.

Thanks
    cool updates man. really impressive to see the progress you've made in a year.

marine: i'd say beef up his gun more. he's a pretty intimidating dude, give him a gun to match.

Thanks
    Cole, thanks again for all this info dude. This is definitely my favorite sketchbook on CA. Not only because of all the kick ass artwork, but because of the information your giving us. Im actually glad your telling me all this shit about AI, I was thinking about going there like 4 years back but completely lost interest. Now i'm not regretting that at all. I'm also happy to see that your 25! your young but hella skilled. I still have 3 years to catch up

Thanks again buddy,
    keep posting!

(PS: One thing I'd like to advise on your Marine: Check the shoulder, I believe its falling a bit lower then natural)

Thanks
    Hey great SB here. Man that story about getting hired in your dream job then having the company partly fold on you after 2 months is horrible!.. although seems like it happens a lot sadly. I've been lucky enough have a job with a company that never seems to stop growing and hopefully wont be bought out either. Good to hear you've kept at it though... and you've payed your dues by the sounds of it so thats the main thing.. it can only get better from here : )

Nice work, thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Thanks everyone, and im glad no one is shuttering at some of my earlier works.

Geistdel- Dont even sweat it man. Ask as many questions as you want man, im here to improve and help out whoever i can improve as well...not that i actually have anything to offer really, but yeah, whatever i can do to help.

To answer your question, I really just started paying very close attention to life, and really studying placement and lighting in general. I really need to practice my industrial technique, and perspective drawing. I havent found any books on the subject really. The biggest change i think recently that has helped me is just craming it into my stupid face, "two things cannot exist in the same space" so when I add a grenade, i think about how it will lay across the top of the form, and where i am in relation to the grenade. When you add anything, think of its relationship to the form of your character. Also, studying where muscles connect has been incredibly helpful for my moving forms, its not a problem for me to determine how a bicep will lay across the arm, or the twist of a forearm now that i know where my Supinator Longus starts and finishes, and that the bicep actually connects to scapula and not the humorus. I sound smart right....you would never guess im a fucking idiot who graduated with a 2.2 gpa lol....actually many people have guessed that, so i take that back.

Anyhoot, i know your frustration, being self taught sucks big hairy balls, but what one man can do, another can do, its up to the man to and his determination that i believe determines whether you pass or fail...or in the case of my 4th year in highschool, my geography grade.

Look out, marine update!

Thanks
    lol 2.0 over here. I think I beat you at the idiocy, man at least i'm winning in that department!

Update looks good! Taking back what I said about the arm. I wasn't paying enough attention to the neck area, seems to flow.

Thanks
    I kind of like to see your earlier works, a deviation into a little fantasy type somthin. What reference do you use for finding where the muscles attatch to the bone? thanks
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    dude your are the fucking bomb man!!! I had the same shit at school man. well it was not art school but i was studying computer science for 2 years and i had more classes on business economics than classes about the actual hadware and software. schools are good to lay a base, the best school you can get is practice, practice, practice!!!

Thanks
    Like I said in the magicman sketchbook, you are for me one of the most influential artists I ever know. More than a flashy guy than just makes awesomeness in every field of art with every new post, people who fight their asses to become bloody good at art, THAT is what inspires me to become better, and follow the same path. Self taughting yourself is pretty much, one of the hardest ways to master skills in every field you could imagine, but, hell, sing me in.

This kind of sb, where the guy fights with no mercy against the world, are without doubt, the better way to know how to become a great person (and better artist), in the whole CA community.

Thank you for be just yourself. I´ll check this frequently, and I wish you the better in your life.
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    What's up, Cole? It's great to see you on CA! I pretty much got the gist of what yer up to recently, so I won't ask what yer up to. I rather like it here @ CA so I hope to see more your work on here. I dig your artwork a lot. You're in Orlando, right? Say wassup to richard gaines for me.

Thanks
    cool marine update.
    any chance of some blood splatter or scratch marks on the wall?

Thanks
    Hurrah! That Marine guy is looking fantastic already man!!

C

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 911 Posts
    The gun is looking much better now! If you want to improve your perspective technique I think Succesfull drawing from Loomis is a pretty good place to start. Also you may want to check Scott Robertson's dvd about basic perspective drawing.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the kudos, and thank you very much Ian for the kind words. Right back at yah good sir, you are a gentlemen and a scholar.

To answer a few of everyones questions. A great anatomy book is George B. Bridgman Constructive Anatomy. He lists where bones are attached rather than just surface detail which has been incredibley helpful.

And thanks for the tip fantasy, i will definetly check out those sources.

Here are this mornings studies.

Thanks
    Another question coming at ya Cole. I wasw wondering what do you do to stay fresh with your designs. I know when I draw I tend to lean towards certain motif of designing trends (ie knight has a sword. or characters with long coats and collars. How do you mix up standard designs. Your pieces earlier in this thread with furnace armors was really cool. Instead of just making weird guys with large swords and armor you mix it up with elements of cast iron furnances. Anyway my question is how to keep yourself from reusing the same ol design elements. Thanks. and sorry to barrage you with questions. You are still only one man.

Thanks
    Hey Cole, nice job on those anatomy studies, it cool to see those.

Quinn

Thanks
    really great anatomy studies. i've been trying the same thing, super effective so i'll have to thank you for that.

as far as perspective goes i have to agree with fantasy, Scott Robertson is crazy good at it, he's definitely got some tips to learn from if you can manage the ... i think 40-50bux for his DVD's, he used to have some stuff on his site (http://www.drawthrough.com/) but i think he's taken it all down to actually make money from the DVD's, another good resource (also related to Scott Robertson) is http://www.designstudiopress.com/ which has a bunch of tutorial dvd's books and such. Scott Robertson focuses a lot on drawing cars and such, he's got a really good book How To Draw Cars the Hotwheels Way which i think also touches on perspective a bit, and is a little cheaper than the DVD's, but it's more focused on rendering, layouts, look and feel, design elements and such. It's a great resource for vehicles if you're interested in that. Honestly though, as far as perspective is concerned i think the best way to do it would be the same way you learned anatomy and go to boarders, find the drawing section and just leaf through all the perspective books for a few days/weeks/months. The basic principles are pretty simple and then everything just builds off that. I'd say learning perspective is thousands of times easier than learning anatomy. Least that's just me.

hope that helped
    Last edited by Mark Bot; March 10th, 2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: corrected price

Thanks
    good morning.. or now afteroon cole! great anatomy sketches here.. i hate how yur sketches end up looking like some pretty good paints.. makes me jealous.

Thanks
    Thanks Quinn.

To answer your question GeistDel, I basically just look at objects and books on different things and then pick apart those designs. At the moment i live in a little bit of a remote area, so i havent been able to head down to my local bookstore for some time now, but basically i just study like lets say....a dragonfly. I just take a look at the individual elements that really give it that feel, very skinny limbs, texture of the eyes, different materials its made of, and then you can base a character directly off of those resources that you pulled. Everything is based off of life, and the more you increase your knowledge of tribes, insects, trees, toll stations, buildings, cell phones, the more you'll have to design from. The reason I think a lot of artists fall into the same rut is because they fall in love with a paticular thing, like heavy metal knight guys...which i do love myself, and dont bother to branch off of that and find out other really cool ideas and designs.

I think a key thing is to learn to love studying.

And thank you very much for the info gus, and im glad the anatomy studies are going well.

Cheers
    Last edited by Colepoopface; March 10th, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colepoopface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yup Cole, I though my School was bad, but reading your history I feel in heaven right now , Bad thing about my Scholar is the teachers NEVER EVER taught you about drawing, a fucking single line, and is really hard for me to get up very early in the morning only to seat my ass in class and open my Brigdmans anatomy book where i left it yesterday at home. Good thing I draw at home every moment I´m awake.

And I´m realizing now that we´re at same age right now, bros b4 hos, man!. :yup:
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    this is for everyone but i have found the entire book of loomis online heres the website if your interested..

http://www.scribd.com/doc/10338/Andr...essful-Drawing

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast