Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Well thank you very much everyone.

Here is an update on the marine, he was a good first test for the rest i am going to do for the aliens series.

Here are some more anatomy studies from the old noggin as well.
    [B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]Sketchbook Poop

www.thecolehole.blogspot.com - Blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colepoopface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome stuff!

Really love your style, can't wait to see the next works your doing!

Thanks
    Nice anatomy studies, Im going through that Peck book right now, maybee I should pay more attention to where muscles start and stop, great stuff. The marine looks awesome aswell, but his left leg seems short making the alien seem flattened, although I dont feel worthy here is a mouse scribble over to explain what I meen.

Attachment 319561
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Dude, you have the keenest attitude ever, good one!
    Your style is amazing, your colouring is amazing, you were approached by BLIZZARD! Overall the king of inspiration!
    Have you done any REALLY skinny guys besides that gas mask guy, i'm keen to see that!
    Thanks a lot man, you really helped me!

Thanks
    You are converting me from a sci-fi sucker to a fantasy fan.
    Sweet updates, btw.

Thanks
    killer updates cole!
    did you get my PM by any chance?

Thanks
    great stuff man really nice light and colors on the last one

Thanks
    aaaah. I also noticed that there was something wrong with the alien and marine. MonkeYoakum just happened to know what it was Fix that and the pic will be KICKASS!

Chris
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I just recieved everyones PM's, and will answer everyone as soon as possible. Right now I have to step out for the day, but I will have a reply out to you guys by tomorrow night the latest.

Here is just an update of some crap.

The first is just a random sketch painting wamrup for the day, about 30 minutes, and it shows lol.

The second is another marine for the alien series im thinking. Not to sure if im going to take this one to completion.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments and crits.

Cheers
    Cole

Thanks
    nice update, workflow. Like your unique technique of painting, feels little like oil.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 911 Posts
    The face of that second marine has got a lot of character! Good job on that. I'll keep watching.

Thanks
    man i really dig the way you do characters man. very cool. have to give it a try.

Thanks
    JESUS cole!! you work way too fast!! o hey my internet has been down this weekend.. srry i wasnt able to send you the assignment.. when you get on aim let me know..

the machine thing reminds me of rise of legends

good job although i think it should be a chick with the big gun..

Thanks
    aweesome stuff man sweet

Thanks
    man ur crazy! keep updating dude, the marines are awezome

Thanks
    Hey everyone. I have been getting a lot of PM's about how I started work as a conecptual artist and freelance artist, and wanted to answer it publicly incase anyone was interested.

My first art job was as a conceptual artist for a game company called AWE Games. You might have heard of some of our triple A titles like "Bratz Babies" Cabbage Patch, Babies and Ponies" and our various other AMAZING titles. If you cant sense the sarcasim in there....please see a doctor immediatley.

Now the way i got this job was pretty much pure dumb luck. I was working as a stock boy at Michaels crafts, and a dude walked in and wanted to buy an airbrush. I had to open the case for him and started asking him if he owned a computer because if so....photoshop is a lot cheaper than the paper, stencils, paint, and compressor you need to buy and keep replacing in order to operate an airbrush. So he asked me if i painted, to which i said "no, but i have seen some awesome things done in photoshop." I told him i was going to the art institute for game art and design, i had just started the program and still didnt know that they were just taking my money and shoving a cock up my ass for it. He said he was part owner of a local video game company and to go ahead and email him some of my pics when i got the chance. So after a couple months i emailed him and got an internship, then i moved to part time, then to full time and quit the school, pretty much in about a 2 month period.

I was a pretty sad sight when i started there, and pretty much till i left actually. My art suuuucked. I had never even touched color before besides dicking around in photoshop every so often. Since our engine was 2d based, I and one other 2d artist did pretty much every background, item, interface, and anything else you can think of that isnt a character. I only did pencils though for the first couple months till the thought dawned on me i had to learn how to digitally paint if i was going to last more than 2 months.

So I took to the internet, bookstores, magazines, and luckily imagine fx number one came out like a month later, and i started training myself.

After about 8 months i started to notice the boss hated me, and i was growing very frustrated with my progress. Working on grass tiles and different rocks painted from a birds eye view was starting to take its toll on on my brain. When all you do is paint really shitty, horrible things for 10-sometimes 13 hours a day, cause our company was the only company dumb enough to release 4 game titles a year with a staff of 9 people, it starts to really drain you. I didn't feel like painting anything when i got home, or even try to look at a wacom. And i fucking hated that. Art was something i did for fun, and to express myself and inspire others, and i was painting fucking rocks and listening to a fat D Bag of a boss who hated me all day.

So one day I stumbled across a video blog by Bobby Chiu. Apparently i got lucky and it was one of his first ones. He said he went through the exact same thing i was going through. A crappy art job and that it sucked the will to do art right out of him. So after listening to this podcast and almost crying at work cause i felt the exact same way and apparently i am part girl, i emailed him.

I told him i was going to quit this piece of shit job and just study my ass off for as long as i can on my savings . I had actually just moved into a new apartnment and it was a horrible decision to anyone with half a brain cell. But I had saved up 7 grand, and i dont use my fucking brain, so away i went. Everyday i would get up around 9, head down to a barnes and noble that was down the street, grab every art book i could fine, and begin reading, studying, and doing life drawing. I did this pretty much everyday for 6 months. I emailed bobby again after that and he was quite impressed with my progress, which made me work even harder. And then freelance started to find its way to me pretty much after that. Then my money dried up and i had to start sucking cock by the dumpster behind the Denny's for money.

I dont think i should be one to give out advice on pretty much anything, but working hard and studying my ass off has been paying off, so i would reccomend doing that i guess.

Also, here are two screen shots of what I actually did for this company. Now keep in mind i had just started learning photoshop and the world of color. But yeah, this shit is horrible, you guys should get a kick out of it. Everyone besides the characters are painted by hand, by me. God i cant beleive i am showing people this crap. Enjoy the horror that is....AWE GAMES.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Colepoopface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great story very inspirational, in fact im going to head to the denny's right now. thnx for the tip
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 370 Posts
    Haha what a story man. Works well as a cautionary tale to not let art become just a job and to keep it as a passion. I saw your tribute to Frank Fraggeta in imaginefx, can you post it hear? Lookin forward to the next update, cya around man.

Thanks
    Yeah, i am so not proud of that work though. I did it in a day, and it was a rush job cause i had a lot of freelance going on at the time they wanted that. And sense i was doing it for free, it got shoved on a back burner. In the next couple months im going to do a proper tribute to Frank. But yeah, i'll put it up a little later today.

Thanks
    Just read the story and... well.. fucking respect man.
    Really fucking respect.
    There are few people worth some respect in this world, but here, have a bag or two.

Also, "Then my money dried up and i had to start sucking cock by the dumpster behind the Denny's for money." probably not for real, but what did you really do to get in some cash that still allowed you to keep on practising art? That's my main concern right now really.

Thanks
    lol, thanks for the bags of respect man, really appreciate it.

Yeah, lol, i actually didnt have to suck cock to make ends meet thank jesus. But yeah, my 7 grand lasted about 5 months, i basically lived off of peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches and whatever deals at publix they had going on. While freelance came in i needed to call the parents to help out a couple months in there. They have been really supportive of me, and i had to pay the money back as soon as things started rolling, which was totally fine with me.

Thanks
    dude, your space marine work is awesome, love the scene of the dead alien and the triumphant stance.

Thanks
    Thanks Reg.

Heres a quick anatomy study sketch that i did this morning. I try to make them as fun as i can sometimes lol.

Thanks
    Wow, that's an inspirational story!

Keep up the good work!
    Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Your story's really inspirational, thanks for sharing it--maybe it's a good way to make it worth some of the trouble you went through.

I'm glad you posted those screens too, otherwise I would have thought you were just being self-depreciating, or falsely humble, but they really show what your hard work has allowed you to accomplish. I love your work.

Thanks
    inspirational indeed. I'm in a position similar to that... except I work at a warehouse committing as much physical labor as I want to avoid. I've done it for 2 years now and its really tearing me up on the inside. It's gotten so bad that I bring a small pad to work everyday and draw more then I actually work. I'm juggling with my job, and I don't even care.

Stories like that really push me and a lot of others I believe. So thanks a bunch Cole. Whether or not you'd be the one to give advice really isn't significant to those who are not willing to listen compared to those wanting to listen and ready to learn

Heres another question for you if you'd be so kind as to answer it for us: How has moving out of your house affected your artwork? Less distractions give you more and relaxed time to commit to your work? How has money affected you here?

I think thats my biggest worry, as I really want to get out of my house but am having second thoughts...

About the art? killer updates and usual man, I don't think i've said it any different. Keep pushing the anatomy studies for sure, i'd like to see you post more of that kinda stuff. Keep it up!
    ~Purse

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 636 Posts
    Heard about you in that podcast and it really inspired me. I'm one of those "Bobby kids" as well, though not even near your level yet.

Guess we can't even begin to start counting all those people who have started working hard after opening themselves to Bobby Chiu's podcasts

I'm impressed by the way you study anatomy, it seems to let you progress really fast and be less dependent on reference. Thanks for sharing man, please keep inspiring us

Thanks
    really great story man. glad you made it happen. I actually heard the bobby version before on his podcast but it's better to hear it from you personally, lot more energy. Bobby's a bit mellow. hah. Either way after hearing your story anyone with half a brain cell should be motivated to no end to get their act in gear and start cranking out art.

plus your stuff rocks, keep it up.

Thanks
    dude that last anatomy practice piece is awesome, im gonna have to try that technique, keep posting ;-)

Thanks
    what the?? 10 pages in two weeks!!!

your sb is insane man!

you got 5*s!
    -edit-
    emm I read your entire story wich is inspirational ;D
    but I didnt understand one thing (my english is very limitated :/)
    you left the art institute and studied by yourself?

edit2
    Emm don't answer the question, I found out the answer back in page 9 and the video in yt.

and now, I would like to see your previous portfolio before your 8 months of hard training
    or perhaps one single sketch? only if you feel comfortable to show

cheers man, and congratulations for teaching you how to paint really cooL!

edit3
    I should read all your post,
    Ugh....i hate my old stuff though lol, but if you guys want to see it thats cool with me. I'll see if i can find any, most of it is on my website www.eastburnart.com
    now I have a real questionm

how old are you?

cheers man!
    Last edited by Clodioz; March 9th, 2008 at 05:42 PM.

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast