Sketchbook: Tom's Sketchbook - Februari 6th - SneakSneak game - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some more... and yes, the right one is a bit iffy... why circles? I dunno, but nice warm-up sketch anyway

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A little backrub exercise

Here is something I made in class last week. We had to start with a black charcoal piece of paper and rub back into the paper to make shapes. We had to really watch our values and edges, a great exercise!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Here's a storyboard I made for my Rendering class. We had to choose between comedy or mystery, but things like technique and format/size were open. Also, we weren't allowed to draw characters, we were only allowed to hint at their existence. Heh. I screwed up in that appartment big time as you can see... I misunderstood that part apparently... Oh well, it was a lot of fun to make these, and a good exercise in markers, staging and narrative. Every frame took me about 15/20 minutes, and I made these quite quickly, so that was kinda cool.

In short, this is a storyboard for an intro for a (detective) series like CSI or Bones, that's why I wrote down all the camera movements down. The killer is Jack the Ripper incarnate (or is it a copycat?)!

Cheers,

Tom

P.S= That is my little foot for scale ref in the first pic!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom van der Linden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another one, a request from the Netherlands!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The storyboard is looking great. The only panel that is bothering me is the one with the guy pointing his gun at the window. The placement of his arm and hands seems akward. Looks like you're learning a lot at school. Keep it up bro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He bro, you are absolutely right. I looked back on this one panel, and it does look awkward... Thanks for pointing out

Hey, when can I see your stuff for Paladin? Can you give me a sneak peak?
    I'm so curious...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

quick watercolour assignment!

Hey there! Here's a small assignment from a couple of weeks ago, for my Rendering subject. It's Dyffdd (from a couple of posts ago) looking at a city rising from a lake. I tried to convey wonder and amazement on his face, and leaving the viewer wondering what he is looking at. A nice try

I made this with watercolour, fine liners and markers. Around 1,5 hours of work.
    And I used ref for the face (yes, my own face with overexposed light )

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your latest fiqure, so freshreshing colours in there! this place might be also interesting for you... http://ffffound.com/

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Raft of Medusa" inspired Life Drawing Assignment!

Hey there! Here is an assignment for my Life Drawing class. You may remember this one, I posted this one earlier. Back then I only had a couple of figures and the composition was still vertical.

On the left you can see before, and on the right you can see the endresult, after some hours of love. I pumped in a background and gave the figures more contrast and deeper shadows, to convey an atmosphere of despair and dread.

I know the lighting is off, but that is because they are all the same model and I observed him from different angles and positions. Next to that I had to finish this back home, without the model so I guessed some stuff here and there. Oh, and next time, I won't draw figures on the edge of the paper, they were too annoying too finishup correctly.

Well, I'm pretty happy with the endresult, there is a doomy and gloomy atmosphere in there! BTW, I used washes, inks, charcoal and gesso for this one.

Cheers,

Tom

P.s= To be honest, it looks way better in real life. I know, lousy excuse again, but I don't have the resources to either scan or make a better picture of the darn thing. Also the size (three A2 papers glued together) doesn't help, making it impossible to make a decent picture. Bla bla bla...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nettle_Mountain: Thanks, dude. Yeah, I had some fun with these figures. Thanks for the link, I already knew the website, but it is an awesome one at that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on the figure composition! The lighting and colors make it really dramatic. The figure on the right kinda throws of the scale of the whole pic though. His position in space makes him a giant compared to the rest. Your structure has improved a lot. There still are some areas that give you trouble, like drawing heads from complex angles. Maybe you should practice that more as it's something that you'll have to do a lot.
    As for my work for paladin studios, I'll post a generic human I had to model in 3d as a test in my sb. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks bro, you are right. The head in different perspectives still gives me some trouble... I can't wait to see your current work! Psych!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He there! So, check this. I made this in my Life Drawing class after pulling a full-nighter, without any sleep... I know, I'm not trying to show off, but I'm still pretty pleased with the endresult. This was also my first time using pastels, those soft crumbling sticks of colourful sweetness. It was a nice experience, until the lights came on. And then I saw my oversaturated piece... Blast!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Scout (aka post-apocalyptic Pocahontas)

He there! Yes, a double post today Here's a piece I made for my Rendering class. We are now allowed to do our own work and I decided to battle a few of my weaknesses all together: drawing futuristic/post-apocalyptic stuff (like machinery and such) and drawing outlandish characters. I always kind of end up with washed up wolverine characters or something

It also gives me a chance to experiment with some different cultural references. For this one, it was obviously Native American, something I never really drawn.

After this I'm also planning to draw a fitting environment and maybe a vehicle for my casts of misfits. These are all meant for an upcoming fictional game

The above drawing was made with pencil and markers. It was around 4 hours of work. And I used no ref (aside from the Native American influences).

Cheers,

Tom

PS= What a shit picture... Excuses-moi!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another Jonathan piece..?

Yes, it's getting kind of ridiculous here... another Jonathan piece!? Don't get the wrong idea I made this one because the other one I made got stolen at school... I left it in the common room and when I returned it wasn't there anymore. It was drawn on a relatively new A3 sketchpad, so probably somebody thought; "Hey, I can use that!" and the rest is history. But because of guilt and out of friendship I made a new one. I think that this one is better and more interesting, anyway

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Two quick SPs

Here are two quick SP's with compressed charcoal. Looking in the mirror can be quite hard sometimes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

En plein air sketching with watercolour

Today I went out with my little sketchbook and my little portable watercolour set which I got from my twin sister, Merel to the Bellevue Park near my house. It was the first time I did landscape sketching with watercolour and I guess it shows. I learned a great deal with this exercise. First: Use watercolour paper next time (obvious that one) Second: Bring more (bigger) brushes. And I need to learn how to mix colours... Also I need to work on my compositions. Still a lot to learn!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The watercolors are looking great bro! The compositions are not bad at all. Here's the link to the posemaniacs site:
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/?pagename=thirtysecond
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dr. Sketchy's: Circus!

Hey there! Yesterday I went to Dr. Sketchy's again. This time the theme was none other than circus! We had two lovely models who performed as belly dancers and clowns, providing a great show and lots of drawing pleasure. They even brought out a real live snake to pose with the models! Drawing this reptilian creature turned out to be quite hard, 'cause it slithered everywhere, and unfortunately, mostly out of sight.

The first pic are the short poses; 1 and 2 minutes.
    Second pic are the longer poses; 5 to 15 minutes.

On a sidenote, and this may sound arrogant; I have to admit that although I like these drawings, I felt that I wasn't at the top of my game yesterday. Some of the drawings miss the finish of the Rocky Horror show drawings. I think this is mainly due to being tired and being a little tipsy. But still, it was a lot of fun and I can't wait for the next one!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesterday I attended my last Life Drawing class. We again worked in pastels, but this time we had a different lightsetting and different props to fill our pages with. The model was the same as last week, and what a lovely model she was. We worked around 2 full hours on the big coloured piece.

At the end of the class, where we all had to show our works, I was really pleasantly surprised by the works from all the students. You could really see the progress they have made troughout these 13 weeks. I mean, in some of the works there remain issues like proportion, structure and of course personal preference in artistic style, but in general all the works showed a real leap in observational skill. It showes that drawing is a skill like any other which can be learned, with enough practice and patience.

I can also say without doubt that this class has really helped me developing my understanding of the human figure. Also all the new techniques and materials have given me a broad spectrum of possibilities to tackle future problems.

I would like to thank my teacher Anwen for making this one of my favourite classes ever!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rendering and Illustration for Designers: HD+!

Ahoy! Yesterday I finished my first subject, namely Illustration and Rendering for Designers (yeah, stills rolls of the tongue). We had to go to school, put up our work in the classroom and then wait for 3 hours to get marked. Felt kinda weird, but I understand.

So these last couple days I just worked my ass off to get all the work done. I thought I had around two weeks to finish this project, but then I found out I had less than a week. But, I straightened my back and went for it anyway. My wrist and back still hurt a little bit, but it was all worth it. I got a HD+, the highest mark you can get! I'm so relieved and so happy right now!

Remember the "Apocalyptic Pocahontas" piece of a few posts back? That was a prototype for the final pieces of this project. I made for 4 characters, all set in the same post-apocalyptic world. I challenged myself to do a genre which I normally don't do and to use a lot of different materials. I used pencil to render the characters and then markers to colour them. Oh, and working on a3 size was also quite difficult. There are some minor anatomic flaws, mainly because the size of the paper and working flat on the table make it hard to check proportions... Learning point!

The story of this project, called"Paradise Lost", is very straightforward. It is a mix between Waterworld and Mad Max. In short: After the world is hit by a global disaster, resources are scarce and all hope seems lost. Suddenly rumours of an orphan boy called the "Chosen One" start to appear. It is said that he has markings on his body that tell of a Paradise somewhere on this barren Earth. Of course, this rumour peaks a lot of interest and a lot of people start searching for the boy, each with their own intentions.

And this is where the player kicks in. You can choose between four characters.

1. Bard, the Bohemian Gunslinger. As a vagabond, he scours the wastelands in search of some last remaining riches. This paradise sounds tempting, and he starts to look for the boy.

2. Nova, the Vigilant Huntress: Separated with her tribe at birth, she feels a kinship with the boy. Maybe by finding this paradise she will also find out what happened to her tribe.

3. Geneva, the Exotic Temptress: Her parents died during the disaster, so she was forced to live on the streets. Hopefully finding this boy and this paradise will give her a better way of life.

4. Renard, the Militant Priest: He wants to restore faith and hope to the people by finding this paradise.

The process and outcome for this project was all thought out, but it turns out you can't plan everything. First I wanted to present it in a different manner, but as soon as it turned out that was going to be too difficult to pull of. So in my desperation I looked around my room looking for another solution, and then this cardboard box jumped in my eyesight. And then the panel idea came to life. Lesson learned; "It's never a bad thing to have some cardboard laying around." True story.

Concluding, I had a lot of fun doing this project and I'm happy with the presentation as well. Awesome-O!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Here are two of the observational watercolour sketches I made for my project 3 painting. I made a couple more, but these suck the least. Yeah, watercolour is still hard as nails and mixing colours is something I still have to practice. But still, it was fun

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life Drawing: Skeleton drawing!

Hey there! Here is the skeleton drawing assignment I had to make for my Life Drawing class. Basically, you had to lay down, people would draw a line outside you, and you had to fill the skeleton in. I had 14 weeks for this, but of course I waited 4 days before the deadline... It was the assignment that had been lurking in the back of my mind for all this time... And 2 days ago, I decided to tackle this beast.

I never have drawn that much skeletons, so without any reference this would have been a lost
    cause. So 2 weeks ago I bought this massive anatomy book. And damn, did it turn out to be useful.
    Still, I'm not sure if this drawing is 100% correct, especially around the turning joints, like the right
    (for us left) upper leg. I never thought the skeleton to be this complex, but thanks to this
    drawing I already understand the body a lot better.

About the drawing itself; It's lifesize, I think almost 2,5 meters in height. This made it kinda tiring to work on it after a while. Constantly balancing on a small stool and working above your head isn't my idea of comfortable working. In the end, it took me 1,5 day to make this. I used pencil, permanent marker and junior coloring markers ( I didn't want to waste my expensive
    copics on this one).

I had a lot of fun with it, but unfortunately towards the end I kinda rushed it a little bit, especially evident in the ribcage and the "black hole". I still have so many other assignments to finish, and these kind of drawings are very "noodle"-sensitive. I had to pull myself back and
    call it quits, or I could've worked on this for another day. Pfff, easy.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate, havent posted here in ages, been so busy with COFA assessments, it's been crazy! I hope yours went well mate.

I feel so behind you in skill but its always interesting to look back here for inspiration! Keep up the good work bro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time here. The first portraits of this page are really interesting. Also, i like the enviros of the previous pages. Keep up man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! Well, I'm almost finished with my COFA assessments, just one left; Drawing. Pffff.... after that, I can finally relax a bit and draw stuff for myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Assessments!

Here are some assessments shots from COFA, where I finished my semester this week You can see most of my work displayed for my Drawing, Painting and Life Drawing subjects.

Sorry about the blurred painting in one of the photos, that is still a surprise for someone. I'll upload that as soon as possible.

Also, the big drawing shot is my 24 hour drawing project, where I had to spend 24 hours on one drawing. It was intense, but fun

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Siobhan Portrait!

Hey there! I had this still lying around, but I couldn't show it because it was a surprise for a special someone. This was part of second project of my Painting subject. I first wanted to do this in acrylics, but I chickened out a bit and again did a watercolour piece. But, that doesn't mean I learned a lot from this one! As you can see, I finally mixed colours on this one to get those "fleshy" tones. It was really fun to play around with all those colors and trying to pick that one right color. And yeah, I wasted like 5 or 6 toilet rolls on this, afterward it looked like a white cloth battlefield!

A very special portrait for a very special girl.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man!
    great updates lately! a lot of good work and your stuff is really varied (and looks like you've got some really cool assignments too ).Impressive storyboard and i like the postapoc characters (real fun stuff to draw , i was sold at "mix between Waterworld and Mad Max" )
    you're so damn busy producing new work it feels useless to go and comment individually! so just keep at it, you're doing great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, here are some more marker drawings again. Time moves slow here, and once in a while I get bored... Also, as you may have noticed, I've been kinda lazy lately so making these loose drawings is a nice way to warm up again

Cheers,

Tom

P.s= Yes, for all the Dutch peeps here, the most right one is a very pissed of Sinterklaas

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4