Sketchbook: Aspectabund's Sketches

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Aspectabund's Sketches

June 6, 2012

Hmm. Wat? Where? New post, just, y'know, three years later and stuff. Done Sheridan now, might be going over to Halifax for a while if a contract job comes through. Shall see how it goes, eh?

---
    June 16, 2009

Welp, dusting off the ol' girl to dump some sketches and things. I want to practice doing environments, animals, and cg finished-looking pieces, so expect some of that, as well as my usual crop of people and sketches.

---
    August 28, 2008

Things I want to accomplish before summer's end:
    -practice creature drawings
    -learn more bone and muscle structure
    -do some semi-realism

---
    June ?, 2008

Ahahah, I got into the animation program! Yes, I am saying this just about everywhere I go because it fills be with gleeee. Expect more frequent updates! I am preparing myself!

---
    Original Post

After a week or so of lurking, I've decided to get me a sketchbook for some crits .

For a bit of background, I'm in my last year of high school, and am hoping to get into Sheridan's animation program. Has anyone else noticed how a lot of people want to be animators all of a sudden? It's weird. I've wanted to since grade 8 though, so I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon or anything. Anywho, my portfolio evalutation is February 25th. I hope I'll get in, but I'm accepted to Fundies already in case I don't. After the evaluation, I'll stick up the portfolio pieces too.

I live in Canada and speak English and French.

I'll put up a few sketch pages in the next post.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aspectabund; June 6th, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: updating
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Some sketches

So first, here are a few sketch pages. My scanner does weird things to them, so I tend to level the crap outta them:

Thanks

Yay for doublepost

Yeah, I don't get how this whole image attachment thing can make sense with text, so sorry about the double post. Oh well, I'll figure this out eventually.

Anyway. The following is a self portrait I did for a dA ID, as well as the big version of the picture I use for my icon.

Thanks
    Whooo boy, this needs an update... so you get the stuff from my portfolio that got me into Sheridan animation for next September! Whoo! I'm thrilled! Can't hardly wait till high school's over now.

Couldn't do big versions of the room drawings - file size got too big for uploading to conceptart. And the originals of the character designs didn't have the pink stuff on them; can't remember why I stuck 'em on. XD

Thanks
    Oh! Forgot that I had my first wild stab at drawing armor a few days ago. This is Costis, part of Megan Whalen Turner's book series, which I fangirl wildly over at times.

But yes. Armor. And mentally handicapped fangirl text. 8|

Thanks
    You have a very expressive style that I like a lot! Have you drawn for long?
    In the pictures that are more RL I see that you're having a harder time than the cartoon ones... I've read several times on this site that you shouldn't settle with a style too fast, and I think it's a good advice.
    Keep practicing RL, though! You're far better than me.

Overall, I think this is great... can't wait to see more! Keep feeding us! <3

Thanks
    Yeah, true that, Monkey, on the realism thing - I think it's because I'm trying to stylize and simplify my realism stuff too much, which, uh, rather defeats the purpose of realism, ahah. But thank you, and yeah, I've drawn for as long as I can remember. Or rather, when everyone used to draw at like age five, I just kept going with it.

Thanks for the compliments! No worries, I'll keep pumping this out so that people can critique and so I can improve.

Thanks
    Hi there, nice sketch book. So you want to become a Animator too.
    Did you ever Animated something ?!?

I mean there are so much Programms out, where you´ll be able to make your
    first experience !!

Do you live in Toronto, I will go there too, have some relatives there and heard that sheridan is a very good school for Animation !!

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    Nice work! Keep up on those cafe sketchings, they're key to good character animation and design

Thanks
    I really enjoy your feet and hand studies.

Also, your storyboard is very good

Thanks
    Whoop, forgot about this thing! Here's a sketchdump of unfinished stuff and sketches. Oh, andthe guy below the top left guy is the same guy, and I stopped working on him because I realized he had basically the same face expression and angle as the one above. Dur.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Now I feel even more guilty for not posting in a while, lol.

EDIT: OH YAH, and that's Neil Gaiman in the corner. He's unfinished too, and looks it.

Last edited by Aspectabund; July 5th, 2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something

Thanks
    Hmm, I felt like drawing something in mhannecke's style, but I can't decide the gun colours. Feel free to throw in suggestions. The curly-haired kid is a redesign of an old character, as well as Jean Claude below him. The thing with the duck-pig was doodled whilst waiting in line for the 11 o'clock Dark Knight on opening day.

I was going to do more bone studies but damn, ribs are boring and just tuckered by brain right out, lol. Also, I am amused that Johnny Depp as a woman is basically Johnny Depp but with more hair. And I think I was projecting because s/he looks a bit like me.

Thanks
    Yay. I realized I forgot to post this like a month ago, and I like it so I'm posting it.

Thanks
    wow, so much great comical stuff - I love your relaxed style and characters *****

Thanks
    you have some good emotives here
    try getting some line variation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathChalupa View Post
    you have some good emotives here
    try getting some line variation
    I agree. It's okay to have the same line width when doing something animation cel-y but different line wieights are a must.

Great sketchbook though. This cartoony style is right in my realm.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys! It's interesting, because I'd been ogling crown's lovely lineart and thinking "huh, look, line size variation. I ought to try that..." So I did, in my moleskein, but I think I kind of failed and kind of succeeded at it. But oh well, I'll just keep practicing at it.

Grayscaled because for some reason it was too big to upload otherwise. :|

Last edited by Aspectabund; August 2nd, 2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typo. :|

Thanks
    That's much more like it.

When doing line width I like to make the details with a thin pencil and clothes with thicker one. The closer something is to the "camera" I make the lines thicker and vice versa.

Thanks
    Thanks, Bubbagump. If you like sweet lines, check out Tim Townsend. The guy's a legend in comic book inking, and he picked up a deviantart account lately to hang with some comic buddies already on there, which you can check out here: http://timtownsend.deviantart.com

Aaand here's a couple more things. A couple bone and hand studies from today, and a girl from a couple weeks ago that I forgot to post. Bit of a trend with me, I know.

Thanks
    Hey Aspectabund, great to see your sb!! Like your cartoon style and those hand studies. Really gettin good with your digital coloring. Want to wish u good luck in animation school and keep postin more good stuff.

Thanks
    Whoo, got my timetable yesterday, and I'm moving my crap up to Oakville this Saturday. My two roommates/friends have the same timetable as each other... but not the same as mine, lol, damn, Only have to remember one other timetable at least.

And here's something I'm working on. Gonna do a bit more on the eyes, I think, and then take a break from the face and do some hair, and see what needs to be fixed after that.

EDITED @ time of next post, to add the nearly done one.

Last edited by Aspectabund; August 15th, 2008 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks
    Done! Took about 7 hours, excluding breaks and the couple of hours on the internet I hadn't meant to stack up . I doubt it would take this long if I were to use this technique again. I am pleased, and I learned a lot from this, namely: when in doubt, simplify.

I also added another step to the above post, near the end but with lines. I wish I had a shot of what the hair looked like before I simplified it... haha, it was a mess.

Thanks
    Tweaked it a bit this morning. I think I'll leave it alone now though.

Thanks
    nice work you have here =D keep up the hard work!!

btw what class you in? first year... A, B , C???

Thanks
    dude ftw great work really, I surely coming back soon to check this place out more, I would crit u on something but I think I need to see more stuff before I can give u a good in the face crit.

so in the meanwhile keep up the good work, and stars might come soon

Thanks
    Hello again, conceptart folks! I've been neglecting you, but I return once more! First year of animation was great, learned a heck of a lot and improved quite a bit.

So, without further ado... a dump!

My uh, lifedrawings merged unintentionally seamlessly. :| The short poses begin when there's a nice line in between the rows of images, lol. Obviously I've done more lifedrawings over the last year than THAT ( I must have done hundreds...), but it's only been lately that I've felt happy enough with my life drawings to show anybody, haha.

Thanks
    It is here that I must admit a shortcoming I have only recently discovered... a shortcoming that is my motivation for becoming active on conceptart once more...

I have greatly increased my digital painting skills, but I don't do anything with them. :I

I literally looked through all my stuff and went "this is all crap. It's just doodles and coloured characters. No actual difference from a year ago."

So, just for SOMETHING to show, I quickly painted over my old Thane pic, since I recall that I was intensely proud of it when I did it a little less than a year ago. Really quick - like maybe an hour, on and off while waiting for things to upload. Just to show that I know a bit more than I did a year ago.

Tomorrow, I should have an environment painting done as well, since I joined the just-ending environment challenge for this week. My current progress is after new-and-improved Thane.

Thanks
    Finally, I would just like to say thanks to the people who viewed or commented here in my absence. I appreciate the past feedback that you have all kindly provided for me, and look forward to improving thanks to it and your feedback to come.

@thewishfulone: I am now going into second year in September, in group E (assuming we are keeping the same groups, as is the norm)

Thanks
    pretty good sketches, thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Here's some randomness from the last little bit. Feelin' better about my Photoshop stuff. C:

We have:

o A beakyman, who I'd like to develop in more detail. He comes in the night to tap his fingers on the walls of naughty children who don't go to bed when their parents tell them to.

o My disfigured mermaid character, Eric. Born with a rare disease that makes him the opposite of the mermaid norm. He is rather depressed, having been teased as a child. Finds solace in jogging, and is currently the world's top mermaid jogger. Unable to frown.

o Sirius Black in a state of emotional distress, possibly only minutes after the Potter's house blew up, and eager to rip Peter a new one. I completely ruined the mood by giving him a David Bowie shirt, BUT I DON'T CARE. Did the lines in Opencanvas.

o Jean Valjean. UNF I love Jean Valjean. He is the man. I could go on all day about how awesome he is, but I shall spare you. Old people =

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.