Staying Awake...
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Staying Awake...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Staying Awake...

I recently got a freelance comic gig...and they need nine inked pages by Monday. I am cool with it since they offered me five times what I usually make, I couldn't turn that down. I am not complaining to anything! I am really grateful to this opportunity and I got myself into it.

I have a few classes at school and one 8 hr work shift before Monday.

So...ha...you night owls have any tips for staying awake? I never really stay up late and never pulled an "all-nighter" but I have a weird feeling that I am about too..

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    get your coffee in early, around 4, and eat lots at for breakfast and lunch.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't eat a large meal, eat small snacks paced throughout the night.

If you are drinking caffiene, small doses over the entire night. You will crash otherwise.

Don't trust the voice that says "I can just get a small nap in; it will be all right". Sleeping small amounts will generally make you MORE tired.

Music.

Take a break every once in a while on a schedule. Walk around, go outside, smoke, whatever. Just get out of your seat, and do something other than draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you live in a cold climate go outside and run around without your coat for a minute every so often. It really wakes you up. You can also try taking a break to go take a shower to help you feel 'refreshed' and ready to work, but don't take a super-hot shower because it'll just make you sleepy. Also, listen to some music or have a movie playing on a television in the background to keep the inactive part of your mind occupied so you don't shut down and start to get sleepy.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wassermelone View Post
    Don't trust the voice that says "I can just get a small nap in; it will be all right". Sleeping small amounts will generally make you MORE tired.
    What s/he said.

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great....thanks guys! I think i will get a count down freeware for my PC to keep me awake and remind me to take a break? Like ever hour or so?

I read that Leonardo da Vinci when he needed to cram he slept 10 mins every two hours. This rested him but didn't let him get into REM where he would be more tired if woken up. What do you guys think about this? I am not sure...
    If you live in a cold climate go outside and run around without your coat for a minute every so often.
    Great idea! It's like 12 degrees outside right now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx702 View Post
    I read that Leonardo da Vinci when he needed to cram he slept 10 mins every two hours. This rested him but didn't let him get into REM where he would be more tired if woken up. What do you guys think about this? I am not sure...
    I did some research one year when I had to pull multiple all nighters in a row for finals and I read that the ideal nap time is 20 minutes. It lets your body rest but doesn't kick you into REM or any deeper sleep that will leave you feeling groggy or more tired. The key is to set an alarm for 25 minutes after you lie down. Those extra five minutes allow you time to actually fall asleep. I pulled three all nighters in a row like this once. I had about three 20 minute naps a day/night or so. I must admit I was a frikkin zombie by the end of it but I managed to get my work done. Night three I was afraid I'd completely fall off my stool and get a concussion though!

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Keep some upbeat music on in the background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, it's 3:46AM here and I am still going strong!

I am currently watching Casablanca and just finished listening to a Raver online radio. Odd combination I know...

I have been stepping out in the cold every few hours and doing pushups. I been drinking a lot of water so about every hour I go pee and stretch.

Sadly...one of my files got corrupted on a save so....I have to start over again making many hours wasted... Ha...such is the luck of things.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.