Maiden in progress
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Maiden in progress

This is a study of skin tone with painter. I am using a reference. If you would like to see it, let me know. ANyways, now im just adding more and more with the idea of making her a tempting maiden. Any pointers for me guys?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good as a skin tone study to me. You should post the reference if you can.

The proportions of her face look off. There is not enough room between the bottom of her nose and her mouth (I think her nose is too long .)
    Also, it looks like her eye makeup is running. This is because you treated the edge of her cheek bone where it overlaps the nose too softly. It's an overlapping form, so the edge should be defined more clearly.

Personally i would consider smoothing out some of those angles around her shoulders and elbows, now that you have the right proportions established. She looks a little too jagged to be tempting.

Cool stuff! Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Mute. I agree with you 100% except for the hard corners of those lines. I do them on purpose and for now I'd like to keep them, but if they really stop her from being "tempting" than maybe your right. I've seen your posts around here and you make great points that I should respect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If this is intended as a skin tone study, I imagine the focal point would be the back. If so, then its probably best not to obscure the back with her hair or dress to that extent. Let the back be exposed as a single unit - it'll help immensely with observing variations in value and hue.

Speaking of hue, from the looks of things, it seems that you used only 3 distinct colors to render the skin. You need to incorporate rich maroons around the right armpit for example. Temporarily altering the photo in photoshop by increasing the saturation can help you see the subtle variations in color. Also, desaturating the image can help in getting the values right.

Half of the battle of color studies is training your eyes to see the subtleties that exist. Additionally, I would not alter an image too drastically from the reference if you intend the piece to be a study. The addition of the pink dress and the white hair would add new colors as bounce-light on the back, and its probably best to stay away from that for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Havok, your right wbout the skin tones, ill add more detail. I will have to ignore your other comments becuase I stated that after I learn skin tones based off my reference I will be adding more and more to make this picture my own.

Between the salt water and the sea strand
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, let's talk about the armpit -- in your reference shot, you can't see her breast. Even wearing a bra, it's just a very slight swelling the mind will fill in with the knowledge that there's a breast on the other side of the body. You've actually shown the breast though, and enlarged that opening under her arm in a way that makes her look concave in a very non-desirable way. Look at your reference: the negative space under her armpit is a triangle. Back in your drawing you've made it a rectangle.

I would also suggest you re-examine the face. Most of Mute's points are still valid.

One final caution: white hair never is. White hair will pick up surrounding color like crazy mad, which is something to which you may wish to pay greater attention. As it stands currently, the hair is looking pretty flat.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

My Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before you get into too much detail, I'd suggest darkening the appropriate areas to make her less flat. Mainly, you've got the shadowed areas darker, but not dark enough. Particularly where the arm joins the body, her forearm, and the side of her torso. The "spinal groove" could also be a little darker as well.

I know it's a color study, but part of that is getting the values right too. Switch to greyscale occasionally to see how the form looks, and then switch back. See if it reads well when you squint at it.

Personally, I think she can be tempting while still keeping angular line transitions. You might try smoothing them out first, though, and then exaggerating certain corners. Or not.

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres an update, would have been sooner but I just upgraded to vista over the weekend:

sorry if it is a bit sloppy right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little by little. Does her hair still come off looking white? I'm definitely having fun with this drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like this drawing. You've done the skin tones pretty well for a study in them, but holding the hair back with the pink looks like overkill. To me, I prefered it with just the white and one strip of pink.

Also, now that you have more skin showin, check out that odd angle just across from her elbow, it's not so much the jutt as it is the way it swoops back underneath it.

Nice job crisping up the face though, it looks really good!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.