Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's finally sketchbooked. Crit always wanted

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's finally sketchbooked. Crit always wanted

Hello all.

Its been a long time sifting these threads, and about time i started my own. The stuff here isn't really sketches but ill use this
    first post to show everyone where I'm at. The sketches can come from now on!

I'm always keen for criticism and feedback, and am very keen to learn. So help me out and ill be very thankful.

First up;

An old portrait.

Portrait of my lady friend (for valentines i guess) done today, after the Sargent study.

A bunch of character designs i did for my final uni project (2006) based on The Golden Compass/Northern Lights book by Philip Pullman.

Asriel

Coulter

Serafina

Lee

Iorek

Lyra

And little roger

All of em?

Some development stuff for a couple of them

Some old life drawing (just started up again after a long break!)

centaur design

Quick landscape ref study

and some Star Wars Zodiac/Star signs (can you figure them out?)

Cheers,
    Lawton

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Law; March 2nd, 2008 at 05:11 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yo THATS some aweasome paintings your realism is also very good and i really like your painting style nice work man keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, great stuff. Cool to see it all together, and be able to browse it at will!
    Glad you finally got a sketchbook too
    now Get amongst it!

thesadpencil is offline Unfortunate Incident of Trial and Error Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice start here man. like your use of colors in your paintings. main crit is try pushin your darks/lights a bit more than you are now, it will help to bring out more contrast in your images.

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great tones; you have some real strength there.

Please give erudite, constructive critiques or give none at all.

- b l o g - s k e t c h b o o k -

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." - Aldous Huxley

thesadpencil is offline Unfortunate Incident of Trial and Error Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice speedpaints man. its seems as though your colors have improved a lot w/ them. i also really like the pagoda mech. good stuff. keep it up.

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woo, the mecha-hut is superb

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your Star wars zodiacs are excellent, and your valentine's portrait too! She looks beautiful, I like the hair you've painted. Your enviro are nice too, especially the walking house and this one! http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1204424807
    Great!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey law, this is a pretty awesome sketchbook youve got here, i like all the paintings.
    i like especially the house with the mech legs, pretty nice.
    although youve got the hang of the natural stuff, i would like to see some stuff out of your imagination, like try something without reference, something new something you wouldnt see in your everyday life, now that the stuff that catches my eye.
    as for your paintings you know how to apply colors and i respect you for that. just keep it up man, your doing great. i look forward to the new updates and what youve got stored in your imagination.

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the centaur design!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey law, a note on the 30min study approach you were talking about. i can only comment because i was doing some last week. i found that i was learning the most when: firstly i would do a painting, under a strict time limit. then the next day, i would do another quick one, but then afterwards look back to the previous days painting and work on it to a state where i am happy. i just followed that pattern. what i found useful was that i was able to compare the 30min to the 1hr or 2hr (thru saves) and see what i was doing wrong/right - or what i wanted to do, and how i could get there quicker. everyone knows about the whole work from big to detail, but i find it hard to not detail and just let the painting take shape- i think this process helped me get in that frame of mind of big shapes first.

also i did mine without an undo button and 1 layer (no exceptions)..and it really helps state in my mind that i have to think about the tone/color before slapping it on. i kind of feel that is the only real purpose to a quick study. at first i was doing them to practice tone and color palettes, but i soon realised that i have to think about those things when i paint say a 5-6hr painting anyway, so might as well practice/explore as you paint those.

anyway, those r my 2 cents. keep up the good work man, looking forward to see more work. catcha at lifed sometime.

Last edited by Thaw Naing; April 16th, 2008 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's all so fresh and crispy. i really like it

WWW.MAGNIVATION.COM
    My SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally dig that study:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1204424815
    It has an fantastic feel to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh nice work man ,looks great but just one small problem ... you should use reflected colors on the character from the environment , if you jump this small details that that is one of the most important can ruin your work ... oh yes and when your character is place in a cold environment, remember to use colder tones for the skin. It intensifies the coldness . Hope you don't mind my critique , didn't want just to flash by ...leaving a useless comment . Keep working , your doing a great job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man ! very nice life studies and quick enviros..love'em!

I think the time limitation in studies is mostly important to concentrate on the basics and not let yourself get lost into detail....but when it comes to value and color studies time doesn't matter as long as you can learn something out of it.

I intend to get more into environmenting myself, i think its a very good way to understand values......i'll keep watching your sb and your approaches to that topic.

cheers

Andi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maaaan, that walking house is sweeeeet, with all the atmosphere and depth. My only gripe is some of the anatomy on those GC characters seems a bit off. Man did that movie suck, complete injustice to the books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Been far too slack at posting on here. Though im constantly checking out everyone else's threads.

metalyst: Thanks man. I think we can claim that as a word.
    thesadpencil: Thanks for coming back man, and for the kind words, glad you enjoyed that mech.
    Mydrim: Cheers dude.
    Clochette: Thanks a lot, Those Zodiacs are a few years old now, but im still pretty happy with them. The hair in that portrait is actually mixed with a crazy furry cap, its pretty hard to make out from that pic, but it gives a great silhouette. I think your right about that Landscape being more interesting than the others. I thinks its the approach to painting it, i seem to be able to get to where i imagine if i start with a sketch instead of just applying paint. Dont know if this is how i want to work though. Ill have to keen practicing them both.
    l0stinth0ughts: Hey man, thanks for the feedback. I imagine it would be great to get into the imaginative stuff. Ive tried to do the pencils below with out ref, etc, though they are pretty inspired some other work ive seen, or more blatantly with the frazetta tribute. I find i get lost so quickly with my own imaginative stuff. I have a sketchbook (which i cant be bothered scanning, I will when im a bit happier with it). But at the moment i reckon im getting more out of my anatomy and reference studies. I should really keep up both, seems like doing stuff from your head is much better than, copying shapes from reference. Thanks again man, sorry for the ramble, but your comments do get me thinking! Il try do some more of my own stuff to put up here.
    Trollfar: thanks heaps man, I loved doing the head design for him, Im still annoyed at the front on sketch which was done digitally and looks out of place (and proportion) next to the much rougher pencil sketches.
    Thaw: Thanks man. Your definitely Right about getting back into the studies on consecutive days. I Always just rush them out, get pissed off and quit, guess thats while im not happy with them, lol, and why my progress is slow. I find i only ever put more than a few hours work into commission work and never my own stuff. Gotta set some goals and start working hard! Ill give it a go over the next week, i have these other sketches here i want to finish pretty soon, so that'll be good for me. As for the the one layer no undo thing, i know where your coming from, but i feel like you could get the same out of it, while playing with what photoshop can do. Why not use layers and textures etc? I think no undo would be great for painting ability, with digital its too easy to just throw stuff out and try get it right on the 10th overpaint. Your process might be great for actually thinking about what your trying to paint. Cheers man, thats all great stuff, hope you keep coming back. Im keen as hell to improve so we should (all of us) try to push each other.
    Duckiller: Thanks alot man.
    Tugelbend: Cheers, thats an attempt at defiling m8's beautiful brushes.
    flamable: Thanks heaps dude, those are all great points, Im here for the crit and encouragement so please keep it up, thats what keeps me going. So much to keep in mind when painting! I need to find a systematic approach to make sure i apply all that colour knowledge. Thanks again.
    Delmar: Cheers, I always get so dark at the studies and never give them enough time. I think your right about how it doesn't matter how long your doing them for, so long as your getting something out of it. Thats kind of what Thaw has been saying above. It would be great to get back into any of these studies and see how i could improve with a fresh perspective.
    MetalFingeredVillain: Thanks man. I've tried to do a hell of alot of anatmy study over the last year, so hopefully ill be able to correct simple mistakes like the many that are littered through my work here. Though i never want to touch those Golden Compass characters again! They're dead to me.

Heres a few more environment studies, and a couple of sketch that i want to take through to painting. The cat girl, is for my brother who was after a very frazetta'ish imagin for something he's working on. Should be fun to paint. The other one is the very beginning of something. Ill try get her clothed and doing something cool. Any idea on what era/theme i should put her in?

Cheers guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoyed your work here man.
    What would you suggest on uploading some pictures? I have tons but im not sure what to do with them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun stuff here, I really like "The Golden Compass" development pages.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it, the enviros are very simple but discriptive. Nice working here.

Coinpurse is offline fishing for boots... Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    digging these last enviros
    keep going! :d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi!

Nice stuff u got there!
    Really like your studies and the portrait of your ladyfriend is awsome!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=124030

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome environments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

5 Stars!!! thats maddness, i dont know whether i deserve it, or if it'll stick around long, but thanks so much! Makes it all feel a bit more worth it, and gives me a shiet load of motivation to keep it up.

Kyro: Thanks alot, I've only recently started posting after years of just browsing these forums. Its definatly worth chucking some stuff up, crit and ass pats are both pretty motivating. Im sure that these can be even more helpful if you were to start throwing up WIP's for people to comment on. Im gonna start doing this alot more over the next few weeks.

shamandalie: Cheers man, much appreciate it.

Bojee: Thanks man, I need to get back into doing some of that design stuff. Where to start???

UCT: Thanks man.

Coinpurse: Thanks heaps dude.

Johan_79: Cheers man, really need to do alot more of those portraits. Maybe in real paint sometime soon!?

ch1xx0r: Thank you. I cant really claim any credit for photo studies, but they definitely help in a lot of ways.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill try check out everyones sketchbooks and return the favor and see if i can offer some good crit, or ideas.

Heres something ive been working for a friend of mine. Trading a business card design for some personal training with him. (my legs are so sore right now!). I'd love any crit, or will make out with anyone who gives me a paint over about any anatomy issues. Obviously is still WIP, but i think ill try keep it similair to how the upper body is looking.

Last edited by Law; April 25th, 2008 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing studies! can't nothing stop you? it looks like your conquered environmetns, animals, AND people! we're gonna run out of thing for you to draw...

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yuss! First one in with a crit, I get a MAKE OUT SESSION! Wooop!
    All tongue, all the time baby!

Ha, anyways, here's my paintova. My anatomy isnt great but heres what i wasnt liking about yours - your chest seems flat / collapsed. I talked to you about this once before... but here it is visually. Really feel that barrel shape of the chest, and push that shoulder back behind it. Unless he's rounding his shoulders (which isn't too hero pose is it?).
    Also thinned up the wrist of the near arm a bit. The whole arm looks too big compared to the head, but the propprtions seems right? Confused, so i thinned up the wrist. Think it helped a little. Then I just popped the shoulders a bit more, they were getting dominated by the traps, making him seem slump shouldered, or just less powerful. So i popped em up a little so they are a bulge above the join with the traps.

Thats my two cents

Kiss time

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Cavematty For This Useful Post:

Law

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, A quick update before i go to bed. Replies to all you beautiful people very soon. Thanks so much for your comments, i really appreciate it.

Matty: Thanks heaps man, that helped a lot. Ill post the final in a couple of days.

Heres a character ive been working on for the last few days, from personal project/folio piece based on the Brother's Grimm story 'the four clever brothers'. I hope to have another one of these done in the next few days.

This is the brother who learns the valuable trade of thievery.

Chur.

edit. updated after feedback, thanks

Last edited by Law; June 6th, 2008 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice clothing on that last one, it's a little difficult to see what's going on under all that drapery, but I get the feeling his arms are too long.

Diggin' the Ditch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice figure studying.
    Keep it !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1