Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: It's finally sketchbooked. Crit always wanted

Thanks
    hey law, a note on the 30min study approach you were talking about. i can only comment because i was doing some last week. i found that i was learning the most when: firstly i would do a painting, under a strict time limit. then the next day, i would do another quick one, but then afterwards look back to the previous days painting and work on it to a state where i am happy. i just followed that pattern. what i found useful was that i was able to compare the 30min to the 1hr or 2hr (thru saves) and see what i was doing wrong/right - or what i wanted to do, and how i could get there quicker. everyone knows about the whole work from big to detail, but i find it hard to not detail and just let the painting take shape- i think this process helped me get in that frame of mind of big shapes first.

also i did mine without an undo button and 1 layer (no exceptions)..and it really helps state in my mind that i have to think about the tone/color before slapping it on. i kind of feel that is the only real purpose to a quick study. at first i was doing them to practice tone and color palettes, but i soon realised that i have to think about those things when i paint say a 5-6hr painting anyway, so might as well practice/explore as you paint those.

anyway, those r my 2 cents. keep up the good work man, looking forward to see more work. catcha at lifed sometime.
    Last edited by Thaw Naing; April 16th, 2008 at 08:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    it's all so fresh and crispy. i really like it
    WWW.MAGNIVATION.COM
    My SketchBook

Thanks
    I totally dig that study:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1204424815
    It has an fantastic feel to it.

Thanks
    Oh nice work man ,looks great but just one small problem ... you should use reflected colors on the character from the environment , if you jump this small details that that is one of the most important can ruin your work ... oh yes and when your character is place in a cold environment, remember to use colder tones for the skin. It intensifies the coldness . Hope you don't mind my critique , didn't want just to flash by ...leaving a useless comment . Keep working , your doing a great job.

Thanks
    oh man ! very nice life studies and quick enviros..love'em!

I think the time limitation in studies is mostly important to concentrate on the basics and not let yourself get lost into detail....but when it comes to value and color studies time doesn't matter as long as you can learn something out of it.

I intend to get more into environmenting myself, i think its a very good way to understand values......i'll keep watching your sb and your approaches to that topic.

cheers

Andi

Thanks
    Maaaan, that walking house is sweeeeet, with all the atmosphere and depth. My only gripe is some of the anatomy on those GC characters seems a bit off. Man did that movie suck, complete injustice to the books.

Thanks
    Hey. Been far too slack at posting on here. Though im constantly checking out everyone else's threads.

metalyst: Thanks man. I think we can claim that as a word.
    thesadpencil: Thanks for coming back man, and for the kind words, glad you enjoyed that mech.
    Mydrim: Cheers dude.
    Clochette: Thanks a lot, Those Zodiacs are a few years old now, but im still pretty happy with them. The hair in that portrait is actually mixed with a crazy furry cap, its pretty hard to make out from that pic, but it gives a great silhouette. I think your right about that Landscape being more interesting than the others. I thinks its the approach to painting it, i seem to be able to get to where i imagine if i start with a sketch instead of just applying paint. Dont know if this is how i want to work though. Ill have to keen practicing them both.
    l0stinth0ughts: Hey man, thanks for the feedback. I imagine it would be great to get into the imaginative stuff. Ive tried to do the pencils below with out ref, etc, though they are pretty inspired some other work ive seen, or more blatantly with the frazetta tribute. I find i get lost so quickly with my own imaginative stuff. I have a sketchbook (which i cant be bothered scanning, I will when im a bit happier with it). But at the moment i reckon im getting more out of my anatomy and reference studies. I should really keep up both, seems like doing stuff from your head is much better than, copying shapes from reference. Thanks again man, sorry for the ramble, but your comments do get me thinking! Il try do some more of my own stuff to put up here.
    Trollfar: thanks heaps man, I loved doing the head design for him, Im still annoyed at the front on sketch which was done digitally and looks out of place (and proportion) next to the much rougher pencil sketches.
    Thaw: Thanks man. Your definitely Right about getting back into the studies on consecutive days. I Always just rush them out, get pissed off and quit, guess thats while im not happy with them, lol, and why my progress is slow. I find i only ever put more than a few hours work into commission work and never my own stuff. Gotta set some goals and start working hard! Ill give it a go over the next week, i have these other sketches here i want to finish pretty soon, so that'll be good for me. As for the the one layer no undo thing, i know where your coming from, but i feel like you could get the same out of it, while playing with what photoshop can do. Why not use layers and textures etc? I think no undo would be great for painting ability, with digital its too easy to just throw stuff out and try get it right on the 10th overpaint. Your process might be great for actually thinking about what your trying to paint. Cheers man, thats all great stuff, hope you keep coming back. Im keen as hell to improve so we should (all of us) try to push each other.
    Duckiller: Thanks alot man.
    Tugelbend: Cheers, thats an attempt at defiling m8's beautiful brushes.
    flamable: Thanks heaps dude, those are all great points, Im here for the crit and encouragement so please keep it up, thats what keeps me going. So much to keep in mind when painting! I need to find a systematic approach to make sure i apply all that colour knowledge. Thanks again.
    Delmar: Cheers, I always get so dark at the studies and never give them enough time. I think your right about how it doesn't matter how long your doing them for, so long as your getting something out of it. Thats kind of what Thaw has been saying above. It would be great to get back into any of these studies and see how i could improve with a fresh perspective.
    MetalFingeredVillain: Thanks man. I've tried to do a hell of alot of anatmy study over the last year, so hopefully ill be able to correct simple mistakes like the many that are littered through my work here. Though i never want to touch those Golden Compass characters again! They're dead to me.

Heres a few more environment studies, and a couple of sketch that i want to take through to painting. The cat girl, is for my brother who was after a very frazetta'ish imagin for something he's working on. Should be fun to paint. The other one is the very beginning of something. Ill try get her clothed and doing something cool. Any idea on what era/theme i should put her in?

Cheers guys.

Thanks
    I really enjoyed your work here man.
    What would you suggest on uploading some pictures? I have tons but im not sure what to do with them.

Thanks

Thanks
    Fun stuff here, I really like "The Golden Compass" development pages.
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    I like it, the enviros are very simple but discriptive. Nice working here.

Thanks
    digging these last enviros
    keep going! :d

Thanks

Hi!

Nice stuff u got there!
    Really like your studies and the portrait of your ladyfriend is awsome!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=124030

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast