Page 36 of 115 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 86 ... LastLast

Thread: A sketch A Day

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Genius_Malignus View Post
    WTF?
    LOL

Munkes: Hey I remember those. I agree the first page is the best.

Martinity: I dig your style on these. Reminds me of an artist i know. But the first woman seem a little flatfaced. And the man seems to have a too broad jaw.

Here are some practice picture i drew with the help of references.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    @ Greywoods: those are some pretty good hand studies. I especially like the bottom left one, and the middle left one.
    Edit: nice family doodle as well - but whats wrong with his right hand? - it looks like a foot, or something...

@ Martinity: Nice clean face doodles. Looks like something out of an early 90's action comic. The far right one is too loose and unfinished, though.

I continued working on the Carnivorous Kelp today, and working with watercolour has me completely outside my comfort zone. I keep wanting to press ctrl+alt+z... =D
    Also I have to wait for it to dry, between each layer of paint, so it's taking a lot longer than the usual speedy digital. It's quite a challenge so far. (again a photo is the only option I have of posting it here, atm.).

Thanks
    GM: Well, his hand looks like a foot because the baby's arm is blocking part of it. It might be slightly to large though.

I like your watercolors, think you made them look like your computer ones. So assume that they are pretty close to what you have had in mind.

Here are some sketches. I might uploade more today. Though I'm kinda unfocused atm ;_;

Here are more reference sketches and a bioshock fanart speedsketch

Thanks
    @Martinity The light in your fighter pilot piece is great..the bright colours really does it. Nice faces too..I really dig your sketching technique in the first
    two.

@Genius Maglignus This time I used notepad It's good to see some analogue work. Your watercolour to the right is very nice..it seems more balanced than the one to the left...the light

orange tone emphasises the motive..and it seems like you made the colours more tranparent, which makes it light. The left one seems more thick and heavy.

@Greywoods I rally like your blue expression sketches..but you already know. Some fine hand studies you've got there! He he big daddys and little sis's...cute.

@Munkes The life drawings with the couple is awesome, but I think it it's shame that you made so many details in the mans face in the top drawing...it makes it a

little odd..or maybe it's just my taste ha ha

Okay todays post..random sketches. Used ref for the first one. The second one..it's strange how those drawings can develope in to something very diffrent from the original idea.

Attachment 493335

Attachment 493336
    Last edited by Petruska; October 17th, 2008 at 06:47 AM.

Thanks
    @ Greywoods: hehe I love the visuals in Bioshock, but didn't play it very much, as I got really annoyed that I had to fight all the time, when all I wanted was to look at the pretty environment =)
    Its some of your more sloppy work thus far, though, and I like the studies better.

@ Petruska: I like it thick and heavy haha, and I am planning on giving the fruits the same treatment. I will put a lot more detail into it.
    Your second doodle makes me think that the girl is being forced to have her picture taken, and it draws me in and gets my imagination going, even though theres anatomical and perspective issues.

Mines a sketch turned 'study' that I worked on for several hours tonight. It was a lot of fun, but I just can't look at it anymore, and its 4:30 in the morning. Its a house I saw in Kyoto today, while on excursion with the 'field studies' class.
    Last edited by Genius_Malignus; October 18th, 2008 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks
    Petruska: nice sketches. Gm said that there are perspective issues. I think he might be right. If you want i can hook ya up with my magical persp photoshop brush.

GM:Awesome picture. Would be cool if you experimented with selection/mask surface coloring.

Here is my sketch for YESTERDAY. I also made two paintings yesterday. But i can't upload THAT.
    Last edited by Greywoods; October 18th, 2008 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks
    @ Greywoods: Thanks. My original plan was to paint it in a Wilhelm Hammershøi style, in a very monochrome pallette - but as you can see, it went in a completely different direction. And even though playing with the colors could be fun, I think I will let it stand as is.
    What is the problem with posting your paintings? Haven't you heard of the magic of digital photography?
    Your doodles are pretty good today - the guy reminds me of Dragunov from Tekken 6, for some reason.

Mines a rather quick fanart, done to celebrate the start of the third season, of one of my all-time favourite tv shows: Dexter.

I have never understood the smudge tool in PS, and I stumbled upon an article about it, in an old issue of 2D Artist, so I decided to give it a shot. I think it might take a lot of practice, to put to use effectively.
    Theres a lot I would like to rework/change on this piece - the eyes for one, frustrated me to no end, as usual. Don't know if I will pick it up again though.

Thanks
    Gm: very nice study. You are right the left eye (his right..?) could use some work. Looks like a creep ;D
    Also, I dont have a digital camara.

here are some sketches.

Thanks
    @ Martinity: Very nice pilot picture. The meeting point of earth and sky is maybe a tad too dramatic? It looks like the sky is very close to the earth in an unnatural way. Other than that, colours and lighting are great as usual.
    I can't think of anything to say about the face sketches that hasn't already been said - but I like them as well (:

About my life drawing. My pencil is actually very sharp all the time, and the drawings are not small at all. I just don't draw with the tip of the pencil, but hold the pencil almost horizontally. It's very good for shading, but most of the time I'm too stressed out to find time to turn the pencil, so I can draw with the tip, when doing the line work.
    It's very good you mentioned it though. I never thought of it! I have to work on turning the pencil more from now on.

@ Genius Malignus: As Martinity said. it's nice to see some analogue studies - and some good ones too! Your Carnivorous Kelp is coming along nicely. It seems like you've got a very steady hand even when using a genuine brush. I would have had a hard time giving those strings an equal thickness from one end to the other.

The house is so cool! Is the left side build much later than the right? The right part looks like the shop of some old lady, who also lives on the top floor; and I bet there have been a few ninja fights when the bad guys come to force the secret of the jade dragon out of her, but her grandson kicks their asses and ventures out in the big wide world and becomes a real hero.
    Ok, it would have been sufficient to say that it looks like a nice set for a story. And I like how you've painted the roof; nice suggestion of detail. I think it's a shame with the brick wall to the left. It takes away much of the charm.

The portrait is very good. I like how you've painted the stubble. I think his left eye is a bit too low.

@ Greywoods: You've done some very nice studies. You tend to make hands look like some thin, old mans, on most of your non-reference drawings. These obviously don't look like that at all. I'm curious to see how much these studies will help your free-imagination-hands in the future.

I like the two people in uniform. Nice designs (: Even though you've mixed the bubble gum- and the more earthy colours (again), you've really made it work this time. They seem like they belong in the same universe - and in the same picture.

@ Petruska: Nice sketches (: I should do more of those quick ones myself. I have a hard time not going into detail too early. It's really a problem.

Geez, I really know how to turn a few comments into a novel at 4 a clock in the morning.
    I'm sorry for not posting so much this week. I have been drawing most days, but I've been too wasted after work to put much effort into it. Here's something I've spend most of the evening on, after playing Mass Effect most of the afternoon. My favourite race from the game: a Quarian. No one knows how they look underneath their masks, but this is my guess. Well, it's a WIP. If the eyes really glowed that much, it would probably show even with the mask on, but I got carried away.

Thanks
    @ Greywoods: Well I guess youre kinda excused about the camera, since youre only 1st semester
    Other than that I think the three little girl sketches, have some very good poses, that gives them a lot of expression. I like your thin, loose sketching lines - completely different from my own.

@ Munkes: Thank you.
    I was actually surprised myself, at how steady my hand was, and how long, even strokes I could pull off. I guess all that practice on the Wacom pays off in analogue as well.
    About the house - I dont know if the left part was built into the house later, but I assume it is. Also the bricks were part of the structure, and I actually kinda like how the add to the chaotic, shambling nature of it =)
    On the 'portrait' - as both you and Greywoods remarked, the eyes are the main problem area. Its so fucking hard to work with them, and they never seem to get quite right.

I am also really envious that you have time to play Mass Effect. That game is at one of the top spots of 'Games I need to play when I get a life'. I was a huge Kotor fan.
    Edit: your sketch looks promising, but very WIP. I would like to see you develop it more. Also wheres the Gypsy girl-you? That pic is also very promising and I want to see your progress!

Heres my sunday doodle. Not much to say about it, except that I really didn't have an idea, and just started playing with colour, and my new brush. This is what I ended up with; maybe some kind of Asian spirit or Vampire. It seems the Japanese vibe is getting to me hahaha.

Again I enjoyed painting on this immensely, but its obviously still very WIP, even though I worked on it for hours.
    And again I must say that I haven't enjoyed painting and drawing this much, for such a long time. It feels like I am getting somewhere, and that I have actually improved a little.
    Last edited by Genius_Malignus; October 19th, 2008 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks
    Gm: nice painting, goofy face. Pretty colors and highlights.
    Munkes: nice wip. Well drawn. She's ugly/wrinkly. You ruined my fantasies about tali for me. not cool.

Sorry about short comments. Lost everything due to word - pissed off.

Painted, sketched.
    Sketches.

Thanks
    @ Genius Malignus: Sometimes, the paintings that started out as random strokes, end up the best. My first reaction to your vampire/spirit picture was "Wow, ok, he nailed the robe!" and then "Ok, he nailed the anatomy and lighting as well." I don't know what I like the most about it, but I think it's some of your best work. Very painterly.

Haha, you should definitely get a life and start to play Mass Effect. Ah, there's nothing as addicting rpg's. Mass Effect has only hunted my dreams a few times since I started playing it
    The Quarian is still a WIP, but I've gotten a little further with it today. The deadline for the gypsy painting is on Thursday, so I'll post my progress on that one soon. I have to try not to go into detail too fast, like I've done with both that one and the Quarian. It kinda kills my excitement of working on it. That's why I haven't touched the gypsy piece for a few days now.

@ Greywoods: Haha, I've decided that this is NOT Tali. I think Tali is a lot younger - well her voice sounds young.
    Nice sketches today. I like the designs. Especially the robot who's back is facing us. The girl with the black dress reminds me of (I'm sorry I can only say this in Danish) Lille My fra Mummitroldene.
    Last edited by munkes; October 19th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    @ Greywoods: Nice sketches as usual. I can see the 'Lille My' resemblance. Actualy I've seen that resemblance, in several girls from DKDS, but that's another story.

@Munkes: Thank you. I still consider it very much unfinished.
    Nice progress on the Quarian - I especially like the rendering on the mask - it looks suitably hard and metallic/glassy. What is the orange stuff behind her? Is it some sort of power, or just to make her stand out? It looks a little strange.

Today I wanted to continue on the pic from Sunday, but I became afraid of ruining it, and froze up. Instead I made a brush, and played with smudge tool and colours again, and ended up painting a guy from school, who is also studying Nihonga (Japanese Painting). Much fun was had, and now my hand hurts =)

Page 36 of 115 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 86 ... LastLast