Page 36 of 100 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 86 ... LastLast

Thread: A sketch A Day

Thanks
    @ Munkes:
    I think it could benefit from more sharpness though.
    I agree.
    It looks like your life drawings are getting better. The middle one looks quite clean, and well proportioned. The calf seems a little too bulging. And I think its really hard to get good scans of pencil drawings.

@ Greywoods: Thank you.
    As for your speedpaint, needs a bit tweeking on values and colors.
    I agree.
    You have certainly ben productive - especially for a guy who was leaving, because he didn't have time to draw .
    The eyes on the first half of the third page work well I think; simple but intense. The simple shading on the top robot, is also nicely done. I like the play between the grey and brown - makes the surface come alive.

@ Petruska: I can see your evil woman has graduated into Vampirella. Definitely a change for the better (less disney), and towards the more original. Keep going.

Mines a photo of my still wip Nihonga painting. Spent most of the day on it. It frustrates me a lot, as most of it doesn't want to look the way I want it too. Its frustrating having to paint without adjustment layers and undo. The photo isn't too good either.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    @Genius Malignus The Lily is coming along very well.. clean and colourful. I bet that it takes a lot of concentration and a steady hand to do it the Nihonga way.

Lifedrawing from yesterday. I went bad..really bad. I simply couldnít do it right

Thanks
    @ Petruska: Thank you. I painted on it all day today, and still not liking it. I am surprised though, how steady my hand can be, after not painting for so many years. I guess just drawing regularly helps a lot.

Your lifedrawings don't look so bad, but it's hard to say for sure, or comment, when the picture is so small.

Didn't want to post my lilly 'progress' today, so I did this speedy when I came home tonight. Its my impression of Osaka by night - referenced from a photo I took. About 45-60 mins, which is hysterically fast for me.
    Last edited by Genius_Malignus; November 12th, 2008 at 11:27 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Genius_Malignus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    GM: Very good speedpaint. I'v very impressed. It looks so hectic, thanks to the interesting brush strokes. I think I will try some speed painting. No wait I cant. Fucking computer. Mhm, well if I had done more speedpaints myself I might have been able to give you som crits, but i can't really think of anyting.

The lily is great to. As I said earlier looks totally pro.

Petruska: You're evil queen is looking great. Did you use any gouache, besides the watercolors?

Here are my sketches for today and yesterday. I am having trouble getting shit posted, since I am dependent on the school scanners. It's not to bad though, the school scanners are excellent unlike that pile of plastic feces lying under my table at home...
    Here are some faces, eyes and hands.
    Cya!

Thanks
    @ Greywoods: Nice to see you're being so productive. Maybe it's actually a good thing that you have to go without your computer for a while. It's a good opportunity to practice some things you might have neglected in the analogue area.

@ Petruska: I really like what you've done with the evil lady in Photoshop. I forgot to mention it before, but the way she holds her arms looks very good. It would have been a shame if she'd just held them down. This way it adds some motion to the picture. The shadow that starts below her breast also works really well.

@ Genius Malignus: A lot has happened with your lily. It looks very good! I can imagine how hard it may be to work like you've explained. I think it's hard just to get the right colours when painting with acrylics. This must be ten times worse.

Petruska, Greywoods and I all looked at your newest sketch at school today, and the general reaction was "Wow, look at what August did!"
    It's really a great speed paint! Very lively. You have to be a little proud of this one Good job.

I didn't upload yesterday, but I did paint. This is what I started yesterday and continued working on this evening. It's a birthday present for the girl in the picture. I'm having a hard time deciding on a background. This one is just temporary. I'm not happy with the lighting on her face either. It's just too boring because the light on my photo ref is pretty bad.

Thanks
    @ Greywoods: Thank you.
    I think your eye sketches are good in general, and I envy the way you draw anime/manga style. I've tried it many times, and I suck. Have you considered doing a sketch, where you spend more time on it, instead of just doing a bunch of quickies? I'd like to see that. And also while you're caught in the analogue trap; have you tried ballpoint? Its my favourite analogue tool.

@ Munkes: Thank you too. I looked at it again today, and thought 'not too shabby'.
    A lot has happened with your lily. It looks very good! I can imagine how hard it may be to work like you've explained. I think it's hard just to get the right colours when painting with acrylics. This must be ten times worse.
    To be honest, when I posted it, I mostly wanted to smash it against the floor and jump on it. Enogu (the japanese pigment) is like no other media I've tried before; it behaves like watercolour, but covers up the underlying layer like acrylic. And it dries up really matte.

I have to say it again; I admire the way you manage to smooth out your highlights/rimlights. The slight blush on the cheeks is also well done. The left eye looks a little... 'funky'. Or off. Can't pinpoint exactly whats bothering me about it. Otherwise good job so far - keep on truckin'!

I am still not up to posting my lilly progress, so I did another speedy. I went to the Kyoto Imperial Palace today, with three other students, and this is my impression of the Imperial Park, surrounding the palace. (took about 1 hour, in one layer, with one brush.)

note: I am going away to Nagano for the weekend, so I won't be able to post until sunday or monday. But I will bring my sketchbook, and draw as much as possible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Genius_Malignus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Munkes: Nice picture. I really does look like her. But it has that very artificial clean/smooth photoshop-digital look that digital art often get crits for. Maybe you should look into that.

GM: You've made another great sketch. I liked the city scape a bit more tough. I feel that the line direction doesn't have as much purpose in this one as it had in the previous one. But that could be just me.

I will take your advice and work longer on my analogue sketches. Think that is a great advice.
    As for the ballpoint pen thing, well, most of these pictures are made with a ballpoint :U

Thanks
    too tired now so I will comment tomorrow

Todays post..cowboy..again. Took me about two hours and it doesn't even show

EDIT

@Genius Malignus I'm very impressed by your latest work! You have really captured the light and the mood...very cool!

@Greywoods I do love your gloomy girls, but I hope you soon will uploade more coloured sketches.

@Munkes Your friend is coming along very well...it helped that you toned the background down
    Last edited by Petruska; November 14th, 2008 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks
    It's 1.30 so I'll also comment tomorrow.
    I'm so angry with what .jpeg turns colours into This picture is actually a lot more saturated.
    I didn't get as far today as I'd hoped. I think i fixed the eye. Well, I tried. Did it work? Don't mind the hand. It's definitely in the ugly phase. (Thanks for introducing me to this expression, GM.)

EDIT:

@ Genius Malignus: Hmm, enogu sounds a bit like gouache...?
    Yet another awesome speedy, huh. Great colours. I dunno if I agree with what Greywoods thinks about the last one being better. The last one looked a bit more interesting because of the motif. But I actually like the brushstrokes on your newest one more.

@ Greywoods: Nice looking sketches. Interesting to see both the good and the very quick stuff.
    Face? What are you talking about? ;P

@ Petruska: Very nice mood in this one. I think the prairie could benefit from some tumbleweed. Right now the whole thing looks a bit too clean.
    Last edited by munkes; November 14th, 2008 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks
    Haha munkes. It's called ugly phase. Not ugly face.
    Will post later

EDIT: You shut yo mouth, munkes.

Petruska: I think the picture is a bit flat for some reason. Especially the foreground. It's otherwise good.

Munkes: Looks pretty damn saturated on my screen Anyways I've already given you my feedback. Yeah nothing else to add atm.

Here are some watercolors.
    Last edited by Greywoods; November 14th, 2008 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    Okay it's 3:34 in the morning and I am extremely tired so I will do short comments

@Munkes she looks less plastic shiny than before..it's very good

@Greywoods hey you did some colours..looking good!

I worked on the evil queen and the cowboy tonight, but very slow progress sooo I made a third picture for tonight's post.

Playing cards

Thanks
    Nice to see that everyone is posting.. sorry about the lack of posts from my side of the fence. I'll be back later with some hopefully helpfull critiques for your posts, but for now, heres something from the school project me and Lars are working on.

Thanks
    Ha ha thank god someone uploaded or else I would be the only one posting friday AND saturday...that's just sad!

@Martinity long time no see. I know you draw a lot so get your act together Im looking foreward to see and hear about you and Lars project. The mermaid looks very nice but I think there is something odd going on with the light in the top right...maybe it's just my tired eyes

Mine's a 60 min sketch made in corel painter x.

Thanks
    @ Greywoods: Hey, nice watercolours. I really like them. There are both elements of Craig Mullins and of Bengal in them. You should make an actual watercolour painting using these colours.

@ Petruska: Even though both of your sketches look pretty quick and dirty, they have a lot of atmosphere and story to them. They're both very good. I think the last one could benefit from a bit more detail in the face. Right now it's a bit too rough to make muck out of. But good job in general

@ Martinity: Hey, nice to see you back! It'd be great if you'd live up to the title of the thread more. We know you can do it
    Your mermaid pic looks very good. Atlantis? I really like the colours and the background. The mermaid looks like she's made out of clay. I actually think it looks good, but it doesn't look very natural, so she seems a bit out of place. Well, I can see the picture is still a bit sketchy in places, so maybe a little thing like that doesn't matter that much.

I've been very busy Friday and Saturday, and haven't been around my computer. But I did draw. Here it is. I've been sketching while experimenting with visual analogy. So the house is actually inspired by a network cable plug, the robot by a mouse and so on. The sketches are not very pretty (the robot is goofy in a bad way, and the girl's right leg is off, among other things), but it was interesting to do them this way. I guess it can be pretty useful for concepting.
    I'll upload today's sketches later.
    Last edited by munkes; November 16th, 2008 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    @Munkes
    thanks I'm still trying to bring some more life into the cowboy picture with tumbleweed (have to use that word since it took me s long to find it ha ha)

I like your experiments with the house, it has a cool feel to it, so I'm really looking foreward to se it in a context

Sorry about the quality. Had to use my digital cam.
    This is a 40 min telephone sketch page he he

Page 36 of 100 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 86 ... LastLast