Sketchbook: A sketch A Day - Page 36

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1492

Thread: A sketch A Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone! And a special welcoming-hello to pencil1 and Masev

It's so good to see all this activity in the thread It's actually so much activity that I can't see myself comment on all your great stuff tonight. I'll get to it from tomorrow.

I promised myself that I would start posting here again, on a daily basis, as soon as my work on Max & the Magic Marker is done. The game still isn't quite finished though, but it's close enough to give me some time and creative surplus to do my own stuff. So here goes. This one is for a school project. I'm doing a board game about immigration, and this is the first test on a passport photo for the game. Considering that I need to do 70-something passport photos I think I'll make the rest a little less detailed...

P.S. Bierberg, look! Bouncing light! (Sort of...)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'When it rains it pours' - Quite overwhelming to see so many old faces in here. Welcome back everyone.

@ Masev: Thanks for the crit - I was aware that her body was out of proportion... It was croquis - from photo
    The rib cage on the monster/demon guy is a bit funny - doesn't seem symmetrical. The deep shadows work fairly well, but could do with a lot more attention.
    I kinda like the pose on the second one, but you should pay a bit mpre attention to the rendering; it looks too soft and indecisive.

@ Thanks to you too! Good to see you drawing again. The first one makes me want to paint it over - it reminds me of a suit of armour I have seen somewere.
    The last one works the best - the shoulders are a little funny though. Is it by chance inspired by your current geographical location?

@ Munkes: Very nice - but seems too smooth. Especially the dreadlocks don't look convincing. Maybe you should do even more like Bierberg, and use some noise

Here are some building thumbs for my project.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Petruska: Welcome back looking forward to many more of your very good sketches! lovely energetic lines!. I especially like the guy in this regard.. and then there is the girl in the bikini ...
    That one made me stay up untill now, working on my own lightly dressed babe. I really like her crotch area (ofcourse you do Anders) the thighs, pants and waist work really well together.. i must second GMs shoulders though.. they lack construction.. but then again; it made me stay up till 03.00 so something really good is there

@ Munkes: You need a cast shadow... simple as that there are no shadows,
    only texturebaked ambient occlusion
    Decide on a lightsource and make at least one object cast a shadow on another (her head on her scarf perhaps?) it doesent even have to be a big, layout defining shadow...the smallest of cast shadows can do wonders... bla bla bla...

@ GM: more houses!?! they're.. nice the eye loves the roof textures.

And here is my babe.. yea yea i did that noise/sharpen thing!! argh.. it's like an addiction! .. i think i went a little overboard with it.. but you have to push the limmits to see where they are

ORANGE BLUE CONTRASTY BABE THING !

A sketch A Day

EDIT: someone please fix her legs!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There, fixed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Munke: Colors and composition is really good, but I miss some depth an texture.

@ Bierberg: I really like the style of that drawing. The colors are great aswell. Her legs are positioned a bit akward and her whole posture seems very "doll" ish. Maybe you should experiment with some exagerated poses. Also, her face seems a little flat.

@ Petruska: I like the guy who is looking upwards the most. Could be an interesting task to add lighting to him?

@ Genius: I am wondering why you have inverted the black and whites on your thumbnails? I would love to see then with color... so I can give some constructive feedback. I am sure you are working on that.
    So far I think they are little too plain. I would like to see much more detail. Something that makes me wanna touch them and interact with them.

----------------------------------

I have taken you up on your critique and made a new sketch. More work on composition. And I have paid a bit more attention to detail. Still not satisfied with the head, it doesnt remind me of the guy I am trying to paint.
    I might render him... or maybe do a few more sketches like this before I begin rendering. Just to freshen up on my age old skills.

Also, still no guesses to who this might be? He is the lead character of a very old game. I have cookies for whoever guesses right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Argh I'm so rusty when it comes to using my wacom...been drawing crap for more than 4 hours now! Draw, erase, draww, erase etc. Finally I decided to try working with colors and fuck the motive. It's pretty bad, so I seriously need to practice a lot!!

Right now I'm super exhausted, to I will comment on all of you awesome work tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Bierberg: Thanks - and more are coming, I still have quite a few to draw, not to mention that I am not quite satisfied with the design just yet.
    The light and colour on your piece is very good. The har reminds me of some of those paintings of dutch farmer-wives.

http://madamepickwickartblog.com/wp-...milkmaid-2.jpg =)

@ Masev: Lol @ the 'fix'. And I believe I have guessed it; its the protagonist from this game . God I wish somebody would remake it. But not just anybody - somebody cool, like Platinum Games or something.
    His right shoulder looks a little funky - like the muscles connecting the neck and shoulder are missing. His torso seems a little too rigid as well - but the overall pose is good.

@ Petruska: Its not nearly as bad as you think - I like far better than your pencil sketches. The expressiveness works fairly well for it, but you could have pushed the values further, I think. Just keep truckin'!

Having narrowed my design principles down, I have started sketching out a char to exemplify them, and this is the male WIP so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll comment in words tomorrow. Must sleep now...

The last one is clearly inspired by Bierbergs awesome piece, but not nearly as good. Overall I'm not so happy with it, but I think it has some decent qualities. I should have used a ref for the pose...

Oh, Genius Malignus, don't take my comments about your characters pants too harsh. Overall I think the character is really cool. It's just the combination of those sandals and the pants that bugs me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to munkes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally! Comments!

@ Genius Malignus: 1) I like your house thumbs a lot. I think there are already a few of them that I want to touch and interact with (to use Masev's words). But of course you can still push it a lot further. My favourite is the big one in the middle with the wooden roof. I like that the roof has levels. I also think the nordic decorations (murals?) on the walls are very interesting, but they somehow make the houses look more like doll houses. Maybe it's just me though.

2) I think I already made my point on your character; but I'd like to add that the hair is awesome! I think the concept is somehow a bit messy in places. I can barely see what's going on around his waist, stomach, and shoulders. I can guess, but I think it's a good idea to be a little more clear about those things. Anyway, the most important thing is of course that you know what's going on.

3) Nice studies! Hands and feet are a bit weird, but overall it looks good Thumbs up for the legs on the first one. Your lines seem pretty confident there.

@ Bierberg: I hope you don't mind I ripped off your painting. The bathroom lighting in our dormitory has made me want to do something like this for quite a while, so it's about time The skin tones you use are really good. When I did my version I had so much trouble with that part, and you make it look so easy... Her left leg (to the right for us), seems a bit weird though.
    Anyway, thanks for posting - I learned a lot from it. Post more now!

@ Masev: Your latest version of the purple monster is really good. I especially think the legs work well - they are very grounded. The clenched fist could look a lot more clenched and powerful, but I'm not very good at that myself, so the only suggestion I have is "add action stripes"... or something... Well, I guess it's probably better advise to use a reference from a comic book.
    As a last note I think you should try using coloured light instead of broken colours (can you say that in english? Well, what I mean by broken colours is when you add only black or white to a colour).
    Nice signature btw

@ Petruska: I know how you feel... But I don't think it's bad at all. I think you should play more with her skin colours, and make it more shiny in places. Also, if you want to use that brush you used for the hair, then I think you should make it a lot bigger, and not draw the single hair strands with it. Using it to suggest the shape could be awesome.
    In general the proportions of the face are very, very good though. I always make my imaginative portraits too cartoonish, but you managed to nail the proportions in a naturalistic way.
    Give us more

As a final note, I just realized today that the light source of my Bierberg-rip-off is kind of questionable several places.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Munkes: In the helpful corner are we?
    AND WHO ARE YOU CALLING GAY?!?!
    No seriously the pants and legs is the part that I am most unsure about, and spent the least time on. Also I like that you read it as sandals, when I had actually not thought about what he would have on his feet yet haha.
    Apart from that I actually think your suggestion is pretty good!

1) I agree I have to push them more. Will do that soon.

2) Thanks. As I mentioned the sketch is very loose at this point - I am nowhere near done with it.

3) Thanks again - and yes for once the lines were actually best on the first one.

About your piece - I think the values could be slightly less harsh, and it would benefit from some colour blending. It is a bit dead. The proportions look good though.

Here are some alternate pants ideas of my own, for the power viking. And a sketch for his female counterpart.
    Go to my project thread for an overview on the design principles I try to base them on. (and no I am NOT favouring any particular part of the body, when it comes to rendering.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since it is self portrait day today, I decided to make one. Too bad it turned out to be a piece of crap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @GM: Nice portrait ! very impressionist ! dont really know if it looks the like but thubs up from me

@Munkes: As i said the other day, really honored about your picturetribute
    and though i think its a good way there, there are some things you could add still. I can do a paintover/tutorial with some pointers if you want?

OK. now for some pictures.. these two first: they are being posted because GM posts warriors and Munkes boyfrind demanded posts!

The idea behind the pictures is the combat system from the first settlers game.
    Each of the two armies will fight with only 2 men at a time (one from each side).. so if the "red" army has 3 men and the blue army has 3, the first man of each army would have to fght and kill all three of the opposing side to survive the battle and claim victory for his own army... i just ramped it up a bit (first immage was painted while listening to the extacy of gold, by Ennio morricone )

A sketch A Day

A sketch A Day

BUT because these are OLD.. i have to post this..
    A sketch A Day

Meh im gonna crop the left side off if i take it further..

Last edited by Bierberg; November 1st, 2009 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.

Sorry about my absense the last few days, I have been... very drunk. But hey, I build up energy to do a whole painting.

@ GM: Love the new pants, much more badass. I would like a mix between 2, 3 and 4. Big pants, shins with leather straps and fluffy top of shoes.

Nice babe BTW. Her left boob seems a bit to high and her head is a bit to much to the right. But it is a good start.

And yeah, it is the protagonist from Shadow of the Beast! I would have drawn you a girl with knee high socks but then I accidently made this instead. Maybe for next body study. Until then, cheers!

@ Bierberg. I hate you. Really nice work. What can I put a finger on... hmm. It is like my eyes are being led to the bottom right corner, however, when I reach there, there is not much to look at. It is like the action is either in left side middle or top right. How long did it take you to doodle?

-------------

I haven't been able to get rid of this SotB thingy. Tried to fix the last one, but then I thought... it really sucks. So here is some new stuff.

Background was largely inspired by somebody else. Credit to that person.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Munkes: Thanks for the feedback. I tried to fix the fist, but came to conclusion that I should just start over. Yeah, I too have a love/hate relationship with feet and hands. They are great at telling the story about the character, but soooo hard to draw. Must do more research.
    I am not sure I understand the last part about the broken colors. But there is definatly something wrong with them. I have tried to fix the issues in this newer picutre though.

I like the strong feel to your girl sketch. The mirror is a very nice touch. Although, she seems very stiff. I am thinking, if such a strong light is hitting her shoulders, maybe the shadow parts should be a lot stronger. Just a thought.

Peace be with you all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Bierberg: Thank you very much - I like it a bit better today too.
    Your two first ones are very movie still -like, and they definitely have that harsh desert light to them, but it seems like something is missing. Can't put my finger on exactly what it is.
    The last one just reeks of atmosphere, but I agree that you should redo the left part. It needs something to make it more interesting, instead of just a big block.

@ Masev: Lol thanks. I don't think the santa-boot fluff will work with the baggy pants though. I am rather partial to number 4 myself.

I am rather impressed with the new beast; very good pose and anatomy - and the head looks a lot more like I would have imagined it. The background is pretty nice as well.
    The shoulders are maybe not braod enough, and the biceps - even though I get they are supposed to be defomed - seem too small to support his huge popeye arms. I think some more saturated shadows would hepl make it pop more as well.
    The background seems too monochrome, a nd deosn't separate itself enough from the beast. Or maybe its the other way around. ALso the shadow under the middle spike, is just as dark as the shadow on the left oreground rock, and that kinda messes with the perception of depth. Also theres no airship!

You should work some more on this.

I went to croquis today, and brought my laptop and wacom. Haven't tried that before and it was an interesting experience.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Genius_Malignus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll comment tomorrow. I promise! I almost can't see what's going on on my monitor right now. My eyes are so wasted...

I spent all evening on this painting, determined to improve my light-on-skin-skills, and with a few very helpful comments from Bierberg about how light bounces. It really made me a whole lot smarter on the subject, and I really feel like I've leveled up in the process of making this thing.
    So, yay
    Feel free to tell me what's wrong with it though.

Goodnight people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup guys.

Here is some fun with texture, light and shadow. Could use alot more hours of work though.

@ GM. Hey a new croquis victim? Interesting. Haven't tried wacom croquis yet, saw Martinity do it once, looked quite cool.

And yeah, I will work some more on that picture, but I have few other things I would like to do first. 3ds just finished downloading, gotta play a little with that.

@ Munkes. Really nice one there Munkes. Arm to the left could use a little shadow. Bouncing lights are very good, but her face seems a bit flat, slthough I really like her expression. I Like the overall drawing. Reminds my of Elfen Lied... the ear/horns that is.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx61G_thXWM&feature=fvw

--------

Here is todays doodle.

A sketch A Day

Last edited by Masev; November 3rd, 2009 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Genius Malignus
    Yes I have been inspired by Japan..it's hard not to notice the girls!

- I like the character design. Good face but I must agree with Munkes
    regarding the trousers.
    - again strong life drawings..I like it!

@Munkes
    Thank you for the feedback. Your little magic wand really made the difference!!

- I really like you Bierberg inspired motive, but there is something awfully
    wrong with the arm and hand holding the mirror. I really like the light ..yes
    it's a little hard, but it works for me..it makes it very theatrical

- Oh this is pretty!! I love the light under her chin!! My only problem with this
    is her pose..she seems bowlegged..or the opposite of bowlegged
    (kalveknæet) and she really needs to go to the toilet! But the light..I love
    it..and her serene expression!

@GM

- cool characters studies. I prefer 2 and three. The volume creates a good
    balance I think. Cute girl but her pose suggets she are wearing heels.

-I really like the colors in your self portrait..I think the eyes works prettywell!

@Bierberg

Tsk tsk you are making this hard for me. I think your work is quite okay Keep up the good work son, and will go far.

@Masev

- Well someones been busy. I really like what you have made! Cool character
    sketches. I agree with GM that the background could use some more work,
    but overall I think it's very cool!

- again cool beast! A have never seen you do pieces like this! It's awesome to
    see you showing off

Okay after fighting with photoshop for several hours and making crap, I returned to my analogue sketchbook..just so I had something to show..small character studies.

- character nr two lloks like something from Blacksad he he
    - chubby girl palys the flute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Masev: that last immage is really cool! the hazy mirror effect negates the need for hard shadows, thus compensating for something you never really do (DO THEM but here it works for you!

I would like to see those sketch lines either: go away - or get integrated in your backgrounds aswell as having a little more weight (all your lines are equally accented and hard.. try accenting some key features with bolder lines than everything else)

but still; cool dude on hazy mirror

@ Munkes: Im not gonna do the paintover, because you have allready gotten the points
    Really cool horns there maybe if you added some white bands on her legs and wrists to counterweigh them ? nah i dunno perhaps a spotlight on the ground with a drop-shadow would be nice?

@ GM: its great to see someone who can drag himself to croquis! i have been skipping for the last 2 years (propably why my anatomy sucks so much)

Here is a little castle with some snow..
    A sketch A Day

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bierberg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Munkes: very nice. Like the char and light lot. Have no crits that haven't been said already.

@ Masev: Nice sketch very lively.

@ Petruska: Thanks for the comment. Must get on with those chars - they have along way to go yet.
    First page stuff is pretty good. Especially the nun. Nice simple lines and style. Do that in Photoshop

@ Bierberg: Yes I have paid for 10 sessions of Croquis, but already skipped 3 of them... I think the light in your piece works really well at establishing mood, but the strokes don't come off as snow. Slightly too sloppy.

Here are more thumbs of houses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colour study. (+ noise & unsharp mask Bierberg style )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello yall, tried something new today. Landscape. Yay, that sucked so much.

Better get back to monsters.

@ Bierberg: Thanks alot man! The mirror effect wasn't even intentional, I was acutally playing around with a way to do shadows, but then at some point it got to look like a mirror, and I was like "Why not". Not the way to do you concepts, I know.

About the hard shadows. What exactly do you mean. I am not sure I understand. Could you explain it?

Yeah, I totally agree on the sketch lines, they should really go. But it was a quicky, so I didn't want to bother with it. NExt time I will try to ge trid of them, or integrate them into the painting better.

I really like your snowy buildings. I think they catch light really really good. I agree with GM about the snow, but then again, it is a concept. So who cares about the small details, the feeling of the picture is strong, and that is good.

Only thing I miss is some creative architecture. :p

@ GM: Thanks!

I like your work with the thumbs. Still dont understand why they are inverted though.

And I still miss some small objects here and there that makes more believable. I made a small sketch if you don't mind.

@ Petruska: Thank you.

-------------

Ok here is some fun with lights. It sucked bad. I need to dore more of those I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Masev: I invert the thumbs because I suck at linework, and because I think it describes form better this way. Also its a fairly quick method.
    More details will be added - along with colour, when I settle on which design I will take to the next level. Atm its more about general shapes, aesthetic elements and functionality.
    I think your Environment has a good idea behind it - and it has got a very 'Treasure Island/exotic feel' about it. It is quite flat however, and lacks depth and texture. The light could also be more defined. Also mind the colour saturation in different parts of it, compared to eachother.
    I think you should give it one more overhaul.

Here is a '30 minute warm-up-turned 1 1/2 hour procrastination' sketch. It is a fanart for my favourite fighting game, and the closest I will get to play it in a long time, since I promised myself not to buy new games, until I am done with my project. I seriously could not be bothered to render the wings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ GM: Thanks for the crit, I totally see what you mean. Looking at it a second time, I think, was I on drugs with those colors?

Really like your Devil Jin. Something is wrong with his chest though, is it too flat? Maybe the left shoulder is a little to far to the back? Dunno, but I like the overall pose. The legs work very well!

-------------

Here is some shadow study, and more mirroring for fun. Shadows are fawking hard man. Dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really great stuff. You are trying a lot of subjects which is fantastic. Your brush style is is very unique. the biggest thing I see is that some of your pieces need more life. I have the same problem. I would recommend to gesture more in short time frames and build up more thumbnails to find the right pose of movement. I am impressed with how much work you have. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh.. that last message looks a little to generic for comfort
    IronFistGoon: if you are sincere, please show it. If you are advertising, please **** ***

OK MASEV!!!
    Here comes a little explaination of my way of lighting stuff and my shadows

I hope im not patronizing you.. i really only want to help

FIRST! : Lighting 101
    A sketch A Day

Now for the theory put to practise!
    First, a look at what you made:
    A sketch A Day

Why are the first two good and the last not so? because of the basic principles of lighting..

Here is an exaple of 3 light sources. the sun, the sky and the ground (the reflected light from the sun hitting the ground, reflecting on the legs)
    I know i didnt cover the sky in my light101 but you are all intelligent people so
    i trust you can keep up the sky is basically just another reflected lightsource comming from above instead of below.

notice the dropped shadow from his head on his arm.. very important (in my opinion)
    A sketch A Day

And another exaple where i use your original lighting as the secondary reflected light from the sky:
    A sketch A Day

And this is what you did
    A sketch A Day

allways try to think of the object as three dimensionally as possible, and keep it simple the more lightsouces, the harder it is. in theory, 1 will suffice: the primary lightsource.. and the reflections of stuff (such as the ground) getting hit by it (wich reallt makes it two lightsources.. but then you go splitting words and argue that there is infinite lightsources once you deal with reflected light... nah keep it simple..
    I hope it helps..

Last edited by Bierberg; November 5th, 2009 at 02:55 PM.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bierberg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ IronFistGoon: Thanks for your comment - but I tend to agre with Bierberg - considering that this is a multi person sketchbook, your comment seems just a tad bit generic.

@ Bierberg: Thank you for that great post. Very useful stuff. Now I want to see more of your work!

Here are some Friday night semi sleazy nudie sketches.
    (just noticed that the back on the lower right one looks wierd.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, been very lazy and a little sick the last couple of days, so not the biggest contribution from this site of the world.

Here is a small update though, sleazy woman. Body study and light study.

@ Bierberg. Thanks for the great post! I have read it a few times, and carefully studied the pictures. Don't worry, I where blatantly honest about the help.

So, maybe starting from tomorrow I will make a new sketch, and work slowly through the lighting and shadow steps, posting updates here for you to crit.

Seems like I have a lot to learn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes things turn out good.
    Other times, bad..

Sometimes you just cant make up your mind about it

Then you need to post it

In the spirit of ladysketches:
    A sketch A Day

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2