Sketchbook: A sketch A Day - Page 14

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: A sketch A Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Ashley Wood ripoff. 10 % photoshop and 90 % ArtRage.
    My expectations about my own skills in ArtRage are pretty low in general, so I'm actually a little surprised of how this turned out. I expected it to suck more than it does.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just practicing colours, light and shadow on skin. The face itself could use some adjustments, but I didn't really focus on the anatomy of this one.

Last edited by munkes; September 28th, 2008 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some life drawing sketches from today. I wasn't really in the mood for some reason, so the sketches were somewhat half assed - until I started drawing robots
    The robot took around 15 minutes, the rest 2-5 minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I'm back.
    I finally got my user account to the school network, and will be getting internet in my room tomorrow. So far it has been an amazing experience (and a very challenging one at times) over here, but I won't get into that too much in this forum; Instead check out my travel blog here (its in Danish).

@ Petruska: Nice dark environment on the last page; I think it lacks some detail to really make it pop and catch the eye though.
    Also your quick Photoshop doodles are pretty nice - as is your life drawings. I like the one with the back musculature especially(the one Munkes already commented on =).
    Don't hold anything back - even (or especially) if you think it's not good enough for this thread; some crit will always help you to improve. Don't get scred by my massive rant on the last page we all have our good and bad days. What is important is that we DRAW! =)

@ Munkes: I'm really happy to see you holding the banner high, and the level as well. Liking your life stuff as always, and the chair is not half as bad as you think.
    The female head has a strange fascinating, alien quality to it...
    The desert environ isn't really that succesful in my opinion though... I think that the arch stands out too much, as if it isnt part of the same world, and the overall colour scheme is too bland... I need some atmosphere to get immersed into your concept, or maybe some interesting details. It's a little bit boring. (sorry I don't have much in the area of suggestions).

@ Tabu: It saddens me to see that you are not posting in here. Come on dude.

A general note: Let's start getting serious about this thread again folks! Right now only Munkes is living up to our goal of drawing and posting daily, and thats just too weak! I know I haven't exactly been setting the example myself lately, but I am going to get back in the saddle from now on, and I suggest you do the same! We all know that the only way to get good, is to practice, practice, practice!
    And remember to crit the othe guys stuff as well, thats also very important, in the quest for improvement, and one of the main reasons for having a thread like this.

I don't have time to post more right now - so heres a quick dodle I managed to do on the plane from Frankfurt to Osaka. I am going to be studying Japanese painting, so I will probably be submitting a lot more analog stuff, in the future - I just have to work out were the scanners are. It's one thing at a time over here =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Genius Malignus: Good to have you back here - well in the thread at least (:
    For an airplane doodle your drawing turned out pretty well. I really like the design of the left arm. The right hand (his left), seems a little vague. I think it works really well how the character constantly contrasts the background.

Thanks for your crit on my drawings. I totally agree with all you said about my landscape (and what Petruska and Tabu have said as well). I've decided to leave it for now. I don't think anything good will come from trying to fix it.
    I'm glad the female face I painted gives you an impression of being a bit alien-ish. I've been addicted to Mass Effect lately, and I was trying to imagine what the quarian race looks like underneath their masks, while I painted it.

I'm really looking forward to see your Japan-posts. The Japanese painting lessons sounds interesting!
    Oh, and good thing you posted the link for your travel blog. I would have asked you for it otherwise.

About the low uploading rate this past weak, to be fair, Tabu and Petruska have been sick. I don't know exactly how well they're feeling at the moment, but I'm sure they'll start uploading again soon. Or maybe we should let the beer meter get back into action : P

Went to the tuesday drawing class at dkds again today. I think it's a lot more fun to draw stuffed birds rather than chairs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oi, Munkes said I should join the thread. Can I join the thread?
    Now that I also go to your school (digital interaction/games). I'm only 1. semester, though.
    And I think I can keep up with the schedule.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys
    A hasty post - its late at night and I have to go to bed...

@ Greywoods: If you can agree to the prerequisites / rules of the thread, and are willing to commit to it, to the best of your ability, you are welcome to join us. Naturally the others will have to accept your membership as well.

Heres a ultra quick doodle I did. Didn't have time for more, as I was struggling with the first post in my blog - which is now updated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A nonfinished landscape drawing! I will continue....
    On a side note, I agree on everything that has been said since my last post And welcome to A-PAD Greywoods!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GM: Sure thing, boss. :U
    I'll just wait with any uploadin' till everyone has givin' their blessin's.
    I like the face on the woman in your latest picture. Interesting color, but I would have added som complematary colors too.
    I think you need to flesh out her body a bit more. It's a bit on the to-big side. But I guess it's a WIP, so whatever. : P

T:Thanks tabu : ))
    Hey, Munkes was right, your enviroments are getting a lot better. Love the water/reflections. I don't dig the lines under the huge rock/mountain in the middleground to the right, so much.

So petruska, whachasay?

Last edited by Greywoods; October 1st, 2008 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Munkes I really like your blue gal...the shading around the nose and the lips are very good! Nice life drawings too..I like the ones with the old man especially the one in the middle. Has a good pose.

@ Genius Maglinus Yeah the more I look at the piece the more I get annoyed with it's "flatness". Always when I try something new and have worked hard then I think it's awesome, but when I look at it a few days later then all thw flaws suddenly pop out he he
    your purple lady is very nice. She has a very intense and dramatic look..
    And yes I will definitely post more

@ Greywoods glad if you join us

@ Tabu It has a really good backgrund with the misty mountains and the woods it has a very arctic feel to it...nice

Okay latest sketch for "Peter Pan - how Hook became Hook" game...been working all day on this...enjoy he he
    A sketch A Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Petruska: It's a very nice picture. But I'm not very good at environments, so sometimes I don't really know how to critique them.

Here are some doodles I made for today’s quota (2. oct). Didn't think you guys would answer so quickly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Greywoods: Didn't mean to sound bossy, just wanted to make sure that you get what we do in here, and welcome! =)
    You are right about the pink lady, in every respect, except the bit about the complementary colour - there's actually green in the shadows, but quite subtle, and possibly gone due to overpainting/jpg conversion =)

I like the brush you are using on your doodles, its very nice. I think the manga'ish character in the left corner works the best - its got a lot of attitude, though very simple. I like it a lot.

@ Tabu: we already talked about your piece on msn, so I won't go into details here (sorry guys), but just say that I also think it is your best environment to date. Keep truckin dude! You have improved a lot the last few weeks!
    (It looks like Carstens course has payed off for most of you =)

@ Petruska: Very nice. I'm a little impressed by your latest piece. Nice use of texture, and the flowers function well as a contrast, to the massive green of the jungle. I also get (I think) tinkerbell in the far left corner, scouting out the pirate landing party - theres definitely a story there, done with very simple means. It makes me want to know more.
    I think the green colour is maybe a bit too uniform, all over. Maybe it would benefit from a tonal variation, from top to bottom - warmer nearer to the sun, and cooler closer to the ground and underbrush - where it would be humid. Also the light from above seems a little too colourless, and cold. It doesn't quite convince me that it's tropical sunshine, streaming through the treetops.
    But all in all very nice work.

@ Munkes: You are right about the hand, on my plane doodle. I should have spent those extra 5 mins to make it work better.
    And as always, nice analogue lines.
    Edit: and btw love that Zombie and Partygirl catfight! =)

I had my first illustration class today, with a guy whose name I can't remember. Also he only spoke Japanese - so it was quite difficult to understand exactly what he was on about =). He actually had to fetch another guy, who did an engrish translation of the assignment; which is an illustration of an imaginary fruit, and the plant it grows on - complete with a short description, measurements, habitat and so on. It has to be rendered on a board a little under A2 size, in realistic detail.
    I made a quick mind map of ideas, and came out with three different plants, that I will do 5 thumbs of each, and heres the first five for a 'Carnivorous Fruit Bearing Kelp' =)

Last edited by Genius_Malignus; October 3rd, 2008 at 06:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "@ Greywoods: Didn't mean to sound bossy, just wanted to make sure that you get what we do in here, and welcome! =)"

I wasn't insinuating anything I jokingly called you "boss" because you were one of the people who started the thread.

"You are right about the pink lady, in every respect, except the bit about the complementary colour - there's actually green in the shadows, but quite subtle, and possibly gone due to overpainti/jpg conversion =)"
    Yeah.

Here are some more sketches I did today. I think I might add more later. But I have this pamphlet thing to do/design. Pretty annoying. : //
    The first sketch is "inspired" by this song
    Edit: oops. I called the picture littlesorcerer.jpg, but it's a girl.

Edit: Ugh, why did the rest of my comment disapprear? Anyways.
    The plants are great. Was it your idea to make a carnivore? Did you use reference? Ask me about being a botanic extraordinaire! I love the middle one. I think it would be cool (since it's an aquatic carnivore) if you added a lure to it. One that uses light perhaps? Or something like that.

Last edited by Greywoods; October 2nd, 2008 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ welcome

okay a quick sketch...im not satisfied with it, but okay justa sketch. Used reference. Too tired to comment on anything right now..will edit the thread tormorrow *yawn
    A sketch A Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's 3 in the morning, so I'll follow Petruskas example and edit my post, with comments on your awesome sketches, tomorrow.
    Sorry for not posting yesterday. It was my birthday, so I was busy doing family stuff.
    Here's something I'm working on for Carstens AD class. I think the colours and everything else are getting better than on my last tries for an Ashley Wood-amazon environment. I'm still not there, though. Oh, and I havent applied any curves yet either, so don't mind the values, they'll change too (among lots of other things).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will post some crappy sketches in this post. But I promise to post some more stuff today.

@Petruska: Great sketch. I love the organic lineart. Did you use a pen or photoshop? I think her shoulders are too broad. Check the redline drawing I attached to this message. Blue lines is how I think it should be.

@munkes: I think it's better than it was before. The shadows are pretty cool and are well on their way to creating a good atmosphere. But you drawing is clean and photoshoppy. That's not how ashley woods would have done it. Make it more dirty.

Edit: one more sketch added.

Last edited by Greywoods; October 3rd, 2008 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This speed paint is all I have time to do today. Reference found here on CA, in the Olympics reference thread
    Sorry guys and girl, again I don't have time to comment your stuff. I promise I will do it soon! But it looks good (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Greywoods: Diggin the dirty, textured effect you got with your brush, especially in the first pic, but not so much the colours - but thats a personal preference. It's cool that you are doing more than one sketch a day - push it man!
    About the kelp: I did a very quick Flickr research for Kelp and underwater images - which I used as inspiration, nad not really reference - I probably will if I choose to go with the underwater plant in the end. The middle one has fruits on the end of some of its appendages - they just are not defined clearly enough.

@ Munkes: the greek style environ shows promise - keep workin it. It's not Ashely Woodly enough though - you need to go a lot more dirty. Like the gymnast - the pose is very dynamic and gives a lot of life to the piece. So does the brush/texture.

@ Petruska: I like the pose and attitude of the char very much. The outline kind of disappears on the lower part of the body, because of the colour/values, and that makes the outline on the upper body look kinda out of place. Otherwise nice speed sketch.

Heres the next five thumbs for my of my ideas for the illustration class, And a couple of analogue pics. The first is a head study, and the second a study of a pomegranate from my Japanese Painting class. I did another one, but it got fucked somehow - had to scan it on a mac, with japanese interface - and something went wrong with the file. It was a value/shape study - and when sensei Muraoka saw it he said 'detail!'. So that's what I tried with the one posted here - the scanner killed it though. Tried to rescue it with levels in PS, but the result is kinda fokked.

Edit: oh and btw - the school has its own artist materials shop - and Copic Markers are about 30 dkr for the regular ones, and 18 dkr for the design markers! =D

Last edited by Genius_Malignus; October 3rd, 2008 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, Martin from 7th semester here. Heard some good stuff about this thread so I deciced to join in. For now with a painting that I did for the thread today, later with some hopefully usefull critiques

Last edited by Martinity; October 4th, 2008 at 03:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a batch of 30 second sketches from posemaniacs.. what a great tool! Oh and btw I just read the rules. Sorry I'm posting here without all of you accepting me first, but I talked to Stine and Bidda about joining and they didn't seem to mind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That third sketch is awesome, nice use of lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey here is a sketch. Fuck. I would like to upload some more and give people some feedback, but i have the nastiest hangover i've had in a long time right now. So I'll just pass for now.
    Ps: welcome martin. Who the hell are stine and bidda though? ;U

Edit: added a batch of 30 sec sketches. I'm not as quick as martinity though.
    Edit2: doodling the pain away

Last edited by Greywoods; October 4th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinity View Post
    Oh and btw I just read the rules. Sorry I'm posting here without all of you accepting me first, but I talked to Stine and Bidda about joining and they didn't seem to mind
    I'm glad that you did - I was going to say something about the common courtesy of asking before posting - but you beat me to it. I also seem to remember issuing a standing invitation to all you guys at 7th sem., who participated in DADIU, so welcome.
    I like the colours on your first piece a lot, and even more so the very painterly feel you created with the textures.

@ Greywoods: Liking the colour scheme on the first piece. Again nice brush texture.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywoods
    Edit: Ugh, why did the rest of my comment disapprear? Anyways.
    The plants are great. Was it your idea to make a carnivore? Did you use reference? Ask me about being a botanic extraordinaire! I love the middle one. I think it would be cool (since it's an aquatic carnivore) if you added a lure to it. One that uses light perhaps? Or something like that.
    Yes the ideas are mine - the brief just required a description of the plant, fruit, habitat size etc. The teacher's example was a palm of some kind. Couldn't read his description, because it was in Japanese =) And I did a quick Flickr search for some inspiration. Flickrdown is my friend =D

@ Petruska: are you using the attachment manager or linking from another site, for your submissions? (caorg hosts your stuff for free, you know...).

I finished the last five thumbs for my illustration class, but haven't decided which idea to take to the next level. What do you guys think? Input very much appreciated.

Last edited by Genius_Malignus; October 4th, 2008 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GM: If I must judge by name - I like the two last the most. They sound absolutly awesome. FOSSILIZED FIRE flower? Bring it. Nocturnal chestnut blossom (edit:lol got it wrong blooming nocturnal nut tree), ? Sounds so abnormal and delicious.
    But best picks are - 1a, 1c, 3b and my favorite (combined with name and potential) - 3c.

Edit: For the chestnut tree, try encompassing the nocturnal part more into your design, perhaps?
    Edit2: more sketches. The face study is a picture I used reference for. A sketch by james jean. Brilliant artist.
    Fixed also my earlier drawing. And a little enviroment sketch.
    Edit3: ok, guys. I know im new here. But. Wtf. Its saturday. No updates? : /

Last edited by Greywoods; October 4th, 2008 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Petruska: The forest is fantastic! I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't really "seen the light", and improved on their environment skills, after Carstens classes. I'm very impressed with both your and Tabu's progress.
    Solid sketch of the girl - I like the design.

@ Martinity: Hehe, I definitely don't mind that you join our thread. Welcome on board (:
    I agree with Genius Malignus on what he said about your first sketch. I actually thought you had done it in Painter until I read on another forum that it was Photoshop. Very nice light and colours as always. I think she's getting pushed down a little, from the dark branches above her, though, and the foot is a bit vague. Other than that I really like it.
    Your posemaniacs sketches are very good too. I'm always impressed when people actually finish the 30 sec poses. I even have trouble finishing the 90 sec ones - I guess my sense of time is just really bad.

@ Greywoods: Phew, it's hard enough to remember what I want to say about everyones sketches as it is, with so many members of the thread. So it's not helping me that you're being so productive!! (; No, of course it's a good thing...
    I really like the sketch of the city out on that mountain-ish pedestal. It's interesting even though it's minimalistic.
    The girl you've posted twice seems a bit stiff, but I like the rather 'realistic' colours. The sketches where you've used a bit more psychedelic colours are also cool - but why is the face of the mechanic man blurred?
    Edit: I love the monkey picture ^^

@ Genius Malignus: I'm very excited about your plant designs! They're both interesting and pretty. I actually think they have a Japanese feel to them. I don't think I can add more that Greywoods didn't already say. Looking forward to see what you come up with next (:
    Edit: Very nice face study. Is it some Greek philosopher? I think I've seen him before. The crosshatching is a little bit messy some places, but you've done a great job with the shading.

Here are some thumbnails I did for the AD class. The first robot is Ashley Woods character, the rest I tried to do in his spirit.

Last edited by munkes; October 4th, 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Greywoods: I had a lot of fun coming up with those names =)
    Liking the head 'study' - the loose, thin linework makes it very lively.
    Also the tower thing is a nice and loose - but still very descriptive piece. The cool colours really makes it feel like we are high up in the atmoshere.

Thanks for your input on the plants - I still haven't decided which one to choose - and there can be only one...

Quote Originally Posted by Greywoods
    Edit3: ok, guys. I know im new here. But. Wtf. Its saturday. No updates? : /
    My thoughts exactly.

@Munkes: The head is a Roman emperor; Vespasian (can't remember when he ruled). It's not quite as rough in my sketchbook - but you are right about the lazy crosshatching.
    thanks for your comment on the plants - which ones would you suggest I pick?

Btw I really like those silhouette thumbs! They almost look like the black figures on ancient greek vases. Is your concept a 'Robots vs. Amazons' game? How cool is that!

@ Martinity: good job on those poses - you are pretty fast dude.

@ Tabu: you are not representin' in here homie! What's up?

I would have finished the 'fluff' Illustration (to use Carsten's term) for our char today - but had a Trojan/Virus attack, that took me most of the night, to try and clean out. And Im still not sure if I got it all. Vista hasn't exactly been helping either. Damn I miss XP. (who would have thought I would ever say that haha). I fear that I might have to do a complete reinstall...

Oh well managed to do about an hours worth of work - so here's a very WIP version. Theres a lot of stuff wrong with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so here is the deal. I have not had ANY time today. : (( Had to write a bunch of shit for tomorrow. And work on a flyer. Anyways I made this lineart for an oil painting. The pic quality is TERRIBLE. But I will upload it anyway, as proof.

@munkes: I like your thumbs. Though I think some of those robots are not quite AWish enough :/. Go for something a bit more silly and lumbering, and less human like.

@Gm: Sorry to hear about your computer. Seems like you still managed to make something. Persistant heh. But are you using a ref for the sword arm? If not I think you should. That kind of perspective is insanely hard.
    Edit:1more sketch

Last edited by Greywoods; October 5th, 2008 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Greywoods: I really like the lineart for the oil painting. Looking forward to see how it's gonna end up (: Am I the only one who's seeing a sneaker in the background?
    Interesting choice of brushes on the last one. I'm not sure I quite get the character with the mask though. It seems like the head doesn't really belong there. It's definitely too small anyway.

@ Genius Malignus: My concept is actually a robots and amazons vs zombies game. Hehe, I think it's kind of cool too. Well, of course, it's inspired by Ashley Wood.
    About which plants to pick, I think the quality of the plants are almost equal, so the question is rather which expression to go with. Hmm...
    The following is my thoughts on what, in my opinion, are the most interesting plants.
    The plant that appeals to me the most is A3. That's probably the most girly one though. It's counterpart would probably be C2, which could also turn out very interesting with a well chosen palette.
    I really like A2 as well, but it gives me connotations to ice taps, even though it's a fire flower.
    A1 was one of my favourites from the start, but maybe it's too simple?
    The plant I'm the most ambivalent about is D1. Part of me finds it very pretty and original, but another part of me finds it a bit perverted. But then again, you're in Japan, maybe it's not such a bad thing after all q:
    I think C3 has a lot of charm. It's a bit silly, but in a good way. It would probably be my second choice after A3.
    D3 looks like something Tintin would be looking for deep in the jungles of Brazil. It's a nice design, but a bit cartoony; even though it wouldn't surprise me if a plant like that actually existed.

Is that the final version of Holmgang then? Nice depth in the arm and sword.

I guess I'm finished with this "fluff" environment now. It's definitely dirtier (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Greywoods: Haven't been using ref. so far. Maybe I should.

@ Munkes: thanks for your comments. You are right about D1 - I am usually the first person to think along those lines, but this time I didn't see it until you mentioned it haha. Vagina Kelptata!

My spyware problems continued today, and I had to research, and download a third application, to get rid of it all... Even tried to use Windows defender - but it refuses to update it's definitions - probably because I'm not in the country I'm supposed to be - according to my Windows copy... hurrah.

I had a major creative/focus block on top of that, and only managed to put in about an hour on the 'fluff' illu. I'm frustrated and I hate it right now. (oh and since black borders are apparently becoming a trend in here, I decided to ad one of my own. At least I can say I suceeded at that)

Last edited by Genius_Malignus; October 6th, 2008 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for letting me post here

Greywoods: I like your girl in red, but I think the anatomy is a bit weak, especially in the shoulders where one seems much bigger than the other. And the way she holds her neck and head seems a bit stiff. Other than that I think you have an interesting technique and a pretty unique way of drawing manga.. its nice to see someone who doesn't fall into the cliche manga style.

Genius: Thanks for the welcome, it's good with a thread like this to punk eachother when we don't draw enough! Your plant sketches are good, nice varity in there.. gonna be interesting to see them transformed into some cool creature or characterdesigns maybe.

Munkes: Glad you liked the painting, and yes I know the foot is crappy. I struggled with it for a while before deciding to give up on it! I'm really glad I found posemaniacs, its a nice tool indeed. Although a imageviewer, a bunch of referenceshots and a slideshow can do the same thing with a twist

I really like your thumbnail sketches, although to me they seem almost too thought up. Like you didn't allow yourself to be surprised by the "happy accidents" that the technique allows for. So instead of thinking from the start "I'm drawing this silhouette of a amazon" you should try to just forget what you know and come up with something unexpected! I think they're great, but they're almost too good if you know what I mean

I did some thumbnail sketches of my own to make up for my lack of post yesterday.

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2