creating brushes help

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

creating brushes help

Hey all. I just posted this in art discussion incorrectly and want to repost it here in the proper thread.

I'm looking for help in learning what features work best for brushes in Painter IX (any version really). Have people on these boards given any advice on how they create their brushes - which options they usually tweak when approaching a brush and so forth? Have brush libraries been posted for download? I'd really like to learn the watercolor brushes in particular as I've always loved watercolor looks, but the brushes seem so...particle-ly, as in they pick up a lot of specks and bleed all over the place in not so natural looking ways. Any suggestions? Is there a post that compiles everyone's brushes tips or selections from other forum posts with brush tips?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you use windows, type ctrl (I think MAC it's cmd)+b and have fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, I've found the brush creator. I guess I was looking for more practical advice, like specific settings people enjoy tweaking (especially for the watercolor brush set [not digital watercolor]) and/or others.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your question is too broad. It's like "what kind of car should I buy"

That's why I can't give you specifics because it depends on what you like, and you just have to play around with the settings to see what works for you.

You *should* however, learn what each setting does...which would be more practical advice you need. Not, "what other people like to tweak"...since everyone has a different method.

http://wikivid.com/index.php/Painter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by snubbed View Post
    Hey all. I just posted this in art discussion incorrectly and want to repost it here in the proper thread.

I'm looking for help in learning what features work best for brushes in Painter IX (any version really). Have people on these boards given any advice on how they create their brushes - which options they usually tweak when approaching a brush and so forth? Have brush libraries been posted for download?
    What works best for one artist may not be best for another artist, depending on the kind of art they're doing, the style they want, how they paint, etc.

To begin understanding Painter's Watercolor brush category and some of the other brush categories (Liquid Ink, Tinting, Digital Water Color):

Read the Visual Guides written by John Derry linked on this page, in particular: John Derry's Visual Guide for Painter 8 Water Color.

I'd really like to learn the watercolor brushes in particular as I've always loved watercolor looks, but the brushes seem so...particle-ly, as in they pick up a lot of specks and bleed all over the place in not so natural looking ways. Any suggestions?
    I think what you're seeing is Painter's Watercolor diffusing into the currently selected Paper texture. Instead of using the Brush Creator, I recommend using the Brush Controls palettes as they open on the main Painter interface so we can make on-the-fly brush control adjustments without being separated from our work the way the Brush Creator forces us to be.

To open the Brush Controls palettes in a docked group, use:

Window > Brush Controls > Show General

Now go to the Brush Controls' Water palette and play with the sliders, making test brush strokes on a new image opened just for the purpose of testing.

Test several Watercolor variants and test all of the Water palette controls, moving the sliders from one extreme to the other to see what happens.

Also use several Papers as the Watercolor variants will interact differently, in addition to the Water palette controls, depending on the selected Paper and any Paper control adjustments you make (i.e. Scale, Contrast, Brightness).

Is there a post that compiles everyone's brushes tips or selections from other forum posts with brush tips?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!!
    There are posts all over the Painter community in many Painter related forums, and on Painter users' websites that talk about and share custom brush variants.

You'll find a lot of them by doing searches in the Painter related forums and probably have the best luck if you search for specific brush categories, i.e. Watercolor, Digital Watercolor, Impasto, etc.

Nothing will teach you better than taking plenty of time to experiment, taking notes when you find something you like, and notes when you have specific questions.

When you post questions, be sure to supply enough information. To know what kinds of information will help, read this sort tutorial on my PixelAlley site:

How to Ask Corel Painter Questions in Forums Around the Painter Community

Have fun learning!

Last edited by Jin; February 16th, 2008 at 12:38 AM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin...for not being a "he" as your sig suggests, you are one cool dude.

Thank you so much for the help. The links were exactly what I was looking for. I've been experimenting quite a bit and not liking any of my results (except the "Joy" piece I did in my sketchbook). I didn't exactly know the questions to be asking so wanted some links to the "painter" community to start combing through on my own. The John Derry guide was very useful in helping me to understand where to start and now I can narrow in on specific questions.

Thank you so much. Little tips and advice like opening the brush controls as a docked window are invaluable. It's sometimes the simple little things that make the biggest difference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi snubbed,

Yes, for a non-"he" and a great grandmother, I am a pretty cool "dude". LOL!

"He"s aren't the only ones who know things, nor are the young the only ones who know things.

Anyone can learn with half a brain and a load of willingness.

I have at least a half a brain and loads of willingness, curiousity, determination, and a love of learning (art related things and... of course, Corel Painter).

I love your line, really...

Quote Originally Posted by snubbed View Post
    Jin...for not being a "he" as your sig suggests, you are one cool dude.
    It's a keeper, for sure.

Thanks for the chuckle... and for the compliment, too.

Jinny, "cool dude" ')

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3D make work

well i know that all the painter are here so i want to share something that eveyone is now going to turn from real painting to 3D effects....what this ....is it good or people are forgeeting their moral values?????or its called a development????whats this ...it is really confusing me...that i must continoue what i am pet portrait doing or i must also go and start learning 3D effects?????i consult many people and they said that you must adopt new techonology work...?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.