Any good book on Frank Reilly's method? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any good book on Frank Reilly's method?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its been about a 1.5 years since the last post, i had no idea who frank j. reilly was until now, but he seems to have influenced alot of great artists out there, count me very interested.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About a month ago I ordered Apollo Dorian's Values for Pictures Worth a Thousand Words. I live in Germany, so I just got $100 from the bank and mailed it to the address given on the site mentioned a few posts up. About three weeks later I recieved the book, another two weeks later a letter arrived here with $35 change.

A kind letter by Mr. Dorian explained that he will turn 90 years old soon and relies on friends and family to help him with running his errands, so that it took him some time to change the money and mail it to me.

The book itself is of high quality. It was self-published in 1989, before the advent of home computers, so all the text is typewritten (not typeset). Other than that the printing is sharp, the paper thick and smooth (as in an art book), the (perfect, threadless) binding is stable. All illustrations are in b/w, except for 12 or so pages of color charts from the Munsell Book of Colors. The spine of the book is a bit faded from standing on a shelf (I guess) for 20+ years. In short, the physical form of the book is top quality, only the interior design is not "sexy". The book has 278 pages, almost all of them filled "to the brim".

I have not read the book yet, but from browsing it becomes apparent that the majority of the book deals with color, hue, light, shade. The first 80+ pages are theory, the last 90 apply this to landscape painting. There are 90 pages about planes, perspective, planes of the face (8), constructing the figure and anatomy (25), and 10 pages about drapery.

The book comes with a thick, stable, well-printed half-tone scale.

I hope this gives some of you an idea of what to expect from Apollo Dorian's book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not sure if this is related to, or if it's the Same Apollo Dorian mentioned; however, according to information on White Pages and Apollo's website he may have passed away. His age of 89 in the site's biography, Alexander's Letter, and the obituary page all point to it being the same man.
    http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dig...6&locale=en_US

Not to sound rude, but to those who are still interested in getting that book I would try to hop on any opportunity you have now. It is purchasable as an e-book through Amazon, Nook, and Sony, but it does not come with the value chart. If It is somehow possible, I'd try to get the physical copy. Especially considering the amazon book is distributed on Tablet E-reader platforms. At the moment there is no indication of the family continuing to send out the book, but if anyone can confirm this or otherwise that would be cool.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong with this conclusion, but it seems more then circumstance considering the man's age.

Last edited by Ethan F.; February 1st, 2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Clarification

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethan F. For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't aware that the book was available in E-formats, I hope it will remain so. The value chart included with the print version isn't particularly accurate, so that's not much of an issue.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also ordered the Apollo Dorian book two months ago. Unfortunately, the delivery took unusually long and Valerie (who is in charge of shipping the books I guess) sent another copy. Well, in the end both books arrived safely. Instead of returning one copy back to the US, we decided to first try to sell it to someone in Europe, preferably living in Germany or even directly in Berlin for easy pick up.

So if anyone is interested in buying one unused book "Values for pictures...", please send me a message for further details.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pm sent. and thanks for digging up this thread. its been an interesting read (again).

i got the book by maitland graves from a used-book-store about 2 years ago. the knowledge presented in it is vast and not easy to come by.

regarding the jack faragasso books.. there are some pdfs, if its impossible to acquire them otherwise.

definitely going to buy the doug higgins book when i return from holiday.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 52