Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any good book on Frank Reilly's method?

Thanks

Any good book on Frank Reilly's method?

Hi!
    I've recently came a cross Frank Reilly's method of drawing and become very interested in this subject. I found some scraps of information about it here on Ca and on the web but a would love to read some more in-depth explonations.

I found number of books based on Reilly's lectures on amazon but I not sure if they are reliable source... but at the other hand thats all the information i can get since studying at one of art schools teaching this method is not an option What do You think? Are this book woth the price or maybe there some other- better sources?

Here's what i found:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...=1RT1OLY2AFZ4D
    The Artist's Atelier: Reference guide to Structural Concepts and Principles by Henry J.T. Doren

http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Reilly-S...2818184&sr=8-1
    The Frank Reilly School of Art by Doug Higgins

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Draw...2818226&sr=1-1
    Mastering Drawing the Human Figure From Life, Memory, Imagination by Jack Faragasso
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brittons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for reply Brittons. I've seen it already. Thats partly what made me so interested in this method actualy. I saw some drawing head demos on nathan Fowkes blog ( http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com) and Ron Lemen tutorials that seem to use some of Reilly's concept as well. What i'am looking for is more indepth explonations especialy regarding finding rythem in figure.

Thanks
    Oh... well, good you have that. Why not just e-mail Ron directly and ask him if he might send or point you in the right direction for this stuff? I took a few classes with him and I know that he's very, very dedicated to passing this stuff on and has lots of print-outs and information on Reilly and his abstractions, etc, etc. Another thing that might help is to check out the California Art Institute in Westlake Village at http://www.calartinst.com

When I was student there, it was run by a man named Buddy who still runs it I think. They have two print-out books that they sold of Fred Fixler, Glen Orbik, Morgan Weistling, Greg Pro and Frank Reilly's drawings. They're FULL of awsome examples of people applying those abstractions and structural concepts that Reilly had to the live model. If you ask Buddy to send them to you, I'm sure he would. I got them about 10 years ago and they only charged me like $15.00 apiece, which was VERY worthwhile.

Jeff Watts at the Watts Atelier is also an expert at the whole "Reilly Method" thing. He's not teaching as much and is probably very busy with his painting career now, but his teachers there might be able to hook you up with those printouts and drawings like that. Erik Gist at www.erikgist.com is also another person who knows that stuff in and out and can point you in the right direction for finding that information. Hope that helps...

Thanks
    Wow! Thanks a lot! Thats realy helpfull. I will do as You suggest and hopefully get some valuable knowladge . Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Do NOT get the Henry Doren book! The information in it isn't wrong (mostly), but it's presented so badly that it will most likely only confuse things. Plus, all the illustrations and diagrams look like they were done in MSpaint. Literally.

Doug Higgens' book is basically the same information as is on his page. It's not very expensive, though, so it's worth buying to have in hardcopy, and because Doug is a good guy and you should send him money.

Faragasso's drawing book is also worth picking up, although he does tend to overcomplicate Reilly's already complicated system. The real book to get by him is The Student's Guide to Painting, but it's out of print and copies are outrageously overpriced when they're available.

Another out of print book by a Reilly student is John Grado's Mastering the Craft of Painting, which doesn't go for as much as the Faragasso painting book. It's a good overview of Reilly's system, both drawing and painting, although he does leave some important stuff out, and only the first half of the book is Reilly based.

The most comprehensive book on the Reilly method is Apollo Dorian's Values for Pictures Worth a Thousand Words. Ordering information can be found here, and although it looks like a dead site (you can't order on line, only by sending a check, and none of the contact emails work), I do know that people who have ordered recently have gotten the book.
    Last edited by Elwell; February 12th, 2008 at 08:40 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for reply Elwell. Higgen's and Faragasso's books seem to be a good choice. You seem to be really weel informed in this subject by the way. Mind If i ask how did You learn reilly's method? From books You mentioned or at some art school? Do You happen to know some good exaples of using this method ( preferably in drawing )? Something similar to drawing portrait demos on Nathan Fowkes blog would be great

Thanks
    Hey Kalen,

Have you received the Higgins book as yet? I'm thinking about picking up a copy and I'd like your opinion please.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Not yet. I will let You know as soon as i get it.

Thanks
    I tried to order this book but could not get the website to accept an order. Did you do it online? If so, how and where. Judy

Thanks

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanks, I just ordered it. Judy

Thanks
    BTW, I just ordered a copy of Apollo Dorian's book and it came within a week of my sending off the check, no problem.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast