Sketchbook: Sl'askia's art dump sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sl'askia's art dump sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sl'askia's art dump sketchbook

Gonna try to post new pics in here at least a couple times a week, but we'll see how well that works out eh? Most pics will be of still life (and some not-so-still life) I'm getting myself to sketch more, though I'll be posting my usual 'fare' as well.

Name:  liporheadstud.jpg
Views: 4590
Size:  49.0 KB
    Head studies of a Lipor, one of my dragon species: the bottom one was an attempt to draw it facing right....(as 99% of the time my subjects are facing left...)

Name:  fishbowl.jpg
Views: 7317
Size:  74.8 KB
    First still life sketch of one of my fish bowls: the betta was freehanded in since they don't like to stay still for you to get a good look at them.

Name:  betta2.jpg
Views: 4442
Size:  56.8 KB
    Attempt at life sketch of one of my bettas, like the last one he doesn't like staying still very long.

Name:  betta1.jpg
Views: 4985
Size:  48.4 KB
    Another life sketch, another betta, only this time I was using a photo I took of one of my bettas to reference rather then trying to get the silly thing to stay still for 10 seconds(pic ref can be seen in this collage: middle fish).

Name:  workscene.jpg
Views: 4374
Size:  51.0 KB
    Quick sketch of a scene at work...yes I showed the sketch to the 'target' afterward.

Name:  Tioskintrouble.gif
Views: 4409
Size:  102.0 KB
    Little humor pic I am working on that was inspired by one of the DSPs (done freehand with wacom tablet): Sleeping Wookiee + Mischievous Trandoshan with heavy duty shaver = ?
    I am aware of the anatomy flaws and will be trying to fix those (like the huge hands and right arm bigger then the left...), plus I still need to add the shaver and random bits of Wookiee fur....

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  bettastare.jpg
Views: 4147
Size:  72.2 KB

Inspired while studing my bettas: it got me thinking on what they thought about me staring at them so intently. The coloration and markings are almost completely true to one of my bettas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something of a self protrait, though without 'referancing' myself (if that makes any sense ).

Name:  Contemplation.jpg
Views: 3924
Size:  45.5 KB

Was going to orginally be part of a short comic strip, but I think I'm going to use a different 'persona' for that rather then my RL self. Still this didn't turn out too badly....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thumbnailing poses for a character I am fixing to redesign: this guy.

Name:  Tiskusposes.jpg
Views: 4123
Size:  49.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Playing around with the blending method I learned recently from here (the lowered opacity brush) and seeing how well it works with texturing fur.

Name:  Liporfurfun.jpg
Views: 3787
Size:  70.9 KB

It's not too bad (only the face is actually 'furred' besides the obvious tail fluff and mane)....though I need to work on making shorter strokes. Only gripe so far is that it takes a lot of 'layers' to get the effect somewhat realistic looking. Granted...considering my style (which is more cartoony then realistic) I probably shouldn't worry 'too' much about that....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need to post in this thing more often...

Name:  Xirthakprotrait.jpg
Views: 3711
Size:  86.2 KB

Protrait of one of my characters from a story based on Everquest. I love his coloration....

Name:  newmother.jpg
Views: 3890
Size:  43.1 KB

Inspired from a recent debate on Iksar eggs of all things (yes some of us are so obsessed we want to figure out those kinds of things). One person they laid only one huge egg (watermelon sized...ouch: iksar are only about size of a human). I believe they laid multiple eggs of much more 'reasonable' size. Who's right? Well....until the developers see fit to tell us....it's anyones guess....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad! However, I would suggest that you spend some time studying anatomy from Andrew Loomis or someone (or more time, depending on if you have already)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on that. I forgot to mention that for the last pic I took a pic of myself in that pose to use as reference (though obviously I had to 'adjust' a few areas due to differences between myself and the character I was depicting).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept sketch for one of my dragon species.

Name:  luito.jpg
Views: 4473
Size:  153.0 KB

Looked at references of animal skeletons (particularly tigers) to help with the limb placements (and I found a compass is useful in ensuring the 'bone' lengths remain consistant and finding movement radius of the joints). The two close ups of the head were sketched before I had figured out the design of the wings on a separate page, hense why there's no indication of the wing membrane on them.

They are gliders, thus why the wing to body ratio is small and the throat pouch is used to produce their breath weapon: a very loud, high pitched screech.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been working on a colored version of the Luito. Basic colors and details are done, though I still need to do do a 'cut off' version of the wing to show the coloration of the underside.

Name:  luitoWIP.jpg
Views: 3526
Size:  140.7 KB

Did some shading and highlighting so it wouldn't look so 'flat'. However while I can do shading fairly well (in terms of figuring out where the shadows are), highlights I suck at. Granted, I don't foresee this particular creature to be 'shiny' and more 'matte', but it would still need 'some' form of highlighting to counter the shading.

One thing that's a pity though is that you can't see the detail in the eye, which turned out gorgous in my 300 dpi version....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of animals and animal-like creatures. That's tough. =P I'm studying a lot of animal anatomy right now, such a challenge, keep it up alright? Good work.

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there! your lines are really developing! Like your style, so keep it up!

Hey, Come visit:

And also:

SuiraDefiledVision Snobby

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear lords it's been awhile...

Due to moving in back with family and having a major artist block I haven't done much of anything art wise a couple of months. This only broke after I had the Halo bug bite me and started doing sketches of the Sangheili (bka Elites in the games/books themselves): been writing fanfics as well. Due to my own rustiness and the anatomy of the Sangheili themselves, it took a while before decent pics turned out. Well, pics of unarmored Sangheili for the most part (inanimates still defeat me most of the time and anatomy wise I still struggle with their feet!). Here's the best of what I've done with them:

OC with custom helmet, first colored sketch. Of the pics with this particular OC this one is my favorite because of the texturing I put into her skin.
    Name:  Sari.jpg
Views: 3363
Size:  24.3 KB

OC with canon character.
    Name:  AzuSari.jpg
Views: 3266
Size:  22.7 KB

OC with same canon character and my latest and favorate so far.
    Name:  protector.jpg
Views: 3317
Size:  109.1 KB

Yeah I know, the heavy outlining is a step back in a way and that I should be doing more still/non-still life studies instead. I think this is better then not doing art at all though....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naughty me, not updating this...I know. I 'have' been drawing, Halo related stuff but drawing none-the-less. Anyway....

Joke pic based on random IM RP. One of my favorites I've done.
    Name:  mrsharky.jpg
Views: 3588
Size:  69.3 KB

This one took awhile to color, pic of one of my OCs in full armor (armor...weak with...gah...). Turned out ok.
    Name:  Zenoarmor.jpg
Views: 3550
Size:  165.5 KB

This one is based on a scene from one of my fan fics. Erf, Sangheili are a pain to draw sometimes normally, but an emasicated one? *faints*
    Name:  rescue.jpg
Views: 4540
Size:  146.2 KB

Joke pic. Wondered what a Sangheili would look like dragonized....Arby makes a cute dragon.
    Name:  dragonizedArby2.jpg
Views: 3209
Size:  143.1 KB

Tablet drawing based on another scene in a fanfic of mine. Slowly working on coloring it: the Sangheili is going to be standing on a grassy hill and there's an ocean with a sunset in the background. I may put the partly colored image up to get some advice....
    Name:  ArbyAzuWIP.jpg
Views: 3150
Size:  178.9 KB

That's it...for now. I'll try to update more often....(and I apologize for the side scrolling!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just one thing right now. My first attempt at making a sprite.

Name:  liporsprite.gif
Views: 3009
Size:  3.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A big dump of my latest, non-original, works.

First up, a pic of two OCs from the Haloverse (hell...all of this dump is Halo related...), the female is mine and the armored male is a character of a friend of mine (sketched with permission of course).
    Name:  GalaAnbi.jpg
Views: 11330
Size:  47.5 KB

Next, was just randomly sketching Sangheili when this sketch came out. It screamed 'Zeno' one of my favorite OCs, so I had to color it. I originally wanted him to be reclining on something, but just couldn't get it to work out... (titled: 'Sexy Boy')
    Name:  sexyboy.jpg
Views: 3767
Size:  31.2 KB

Portrait of Zeno's twin sister.
    Name:  lilaribal.jpg
Views: 3021
Size:  135.5 KB

Zeno again, earlier in his life, mourning the loss of someone he loved. I can't do scenery....ugh... (titled 'Always Remember')
    Name:  Alwaysremember.jpg
Views: 2977
Size:  108.9 KB

I might well just say it now, the last two are Zeno related (yes I draw him a lot). Here he is more....'Halo Wars' style....
    Name:  ZenoHalowars.jpg
Views: 4186
Size:  105.3 KB

Finally, a pic I am currently coloring. Zeno and another from even earlier then 'Always Remember'. First attempt in trying to make someone look 'wet'. (titled: 'Personal Space Invaded')
    Name:  personalspace.jpg
Views: 2901
Size:  122.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple more things here.

Varient of the Sangheili/Elite Energy Sword I made up for one of my Halo OCs. Name:  Kisen-Bladefinished.jpg
Views: 5702
Size:  72.5 KB
    Rendered in Blender and really my first attempt at texturing something in said program. The 'blades' are supposed to be made of plasma, but due to the limitations of Blender and my own inexperience, it's not as good as it could be.

First speed painting (under 45 mins), using one of my characters as a test subject (Demonakos, Lord of Chaos to be exact).
    Name:  LordofChaos.jpg
Views: 2764
Size:  23.9 KB
    Just used black and various shades of gray at 40% Opacity. I only used the eraser tool to help with the blending. Not a 'bad' first attempt, but I know this pales in comparision to some speed painting work I've seen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to try doing a speed painting at least once a day. Key word try, depending on motivation and subject ideas. Anyway, here's the one I just finished.

Name:  SPSangheiliport.jpg
Views: 2767
Size:  33.9 KB
    Totally borked the head anatomy on this one, I admit: the top part of the forehead being shaped more for a pose in side view then 3/4 view. Still, I like how some of the textureing on his neck came out...and his eye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No speedpainting yesterday due to having a case of 'this ain't working out at all' or 'this is going to end up looking like crap' and giving up. Bad...I know. I did do one today though.

Name:  fish.jpg
Views: 2776
Size:  91.2 KB

I almost did to this what I did to the one I was doing yesterday (as in, scrap and delete completely), but I forced myself to save and upload it this time. Ugh...terrible....only good thing is the sunbeams and those 'could' have been better....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried an environment this time.

Name:  volcano.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  54.6 KB

Ugh...mountains....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to see you working on some more detailed sketches, though i can see you are progressing nicely.

Look around, check out some different types of anatomy and use them for inspiration. You'll find you art may take a slightly different direction, but it's all in the name of progress.

Keep on truckn'!

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really detailed sketches are rare for me: I have to be in the right frame of mind and have the patience for it. Such sketches, when I do them, are usually in o' pencil on paper: I haven't done one like that on my tablet yet. Right now though I am just trying to get myself to draw/sketch/etc more in 'general' (my current sketch book I started on 17 Nov 08, 100pgs and I'm only just over halfway through it!).

Anyway, as you can see I failed my 'speed painting' bit, partly because I hit a normal sketch streak and partly because after the normal sketch streak I hit an artist block *sigh* Here's a few sketchs I did during the streak that I actually got around to cleaning up and such...(yeah...it's fanart...but at least I was doing some art...)

Name:  trouble.jpg
Views: 2680
Size:  91.5 KB
    First attempt at a baby...which is a failure. Poor thing looks like he's on steroids rather then have baby fat on him. I should have looked for reference pics, but then again...considering how paranoid people can be about even semi-nude pics of kids on the net these days? Yeah....

Name:  fatherson.jpg
Views: 2763
Size:  45.2 KB
    Second attempt at a baby, much better result. I did color this one, but it has very little shading to it and didn't feel like fighting with it. So just the line art here.

Name:  grooven.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  85.9 KB
    Just a silly pic I did...I know there's got to be anatomy errors here since it was essentially a 'speed drawing'. Still, my foreshortening of the legs turned out fairly well....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the latest stuff I've finished (yes...fanart).

The first three are more 'cultural' studies of the Sangheili. First is a metal smith, and the other two are herdsmen from two vastly different regions (one polar, the other more savanna/african).
    Name:  runiredo.jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  108.0 KB
    Name:  saniredo.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  96.1 KB
    Name:  Zenoredo.jpg
Views: 2491
Size:  100.6 KB

Next one is NSFW. One of my OCs posing for his partner. Working on coloring this one.
    Name:  zenopose.jpg
Views: 2442
Size:  92.9 KB

Last is a pic some may recognize from one of my other threads. Yes, I finally finished this bastard...
    Name:  personalspacefin.jpg
Views: 2430
Size:  125.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a couple this time.

This one is a surprise pic I did for a friend, whom was feeling down.
    Name:  Exilofini.jpg
Views: 2348
Size:  82.1 KB

This one is based on a fanfiction I am writing (sorry for the side scroll).
    Name:  Zendoustrandedfin.jpg
Views: 2426
Size:  302.4 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.