Scad--Savannah vs Atlanta Campus
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Scad--Savannah vs Atlanta Campus

So sorry. I searched for a previous thread but there seemed to be none. Would anyone know the differences in these two campuses? I have to fill out the admissions application and I do have to tell them which campus I intend to study in. Do they have any advantages/benefits or disadvantages? I know that the Atlanta campus is the most recent of campuses, but that's all I know. Pleae enlighten me on this matter if anyone's been to SCAD or if they currently are in either campus. Thanks a lot!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lessee...The SAV campus has more space, more majors (although ATL may have caught up by now) and most importantly--a core of professors that are well established. With the exception of a few transfers, most all of the ATL profs I've heard of were fairly green (either as artists, as teachers or both).

In terms of city, it depends on what you prefer. SAV is laid-back with none of the traffic, long-drive distances, or high cost-of-living. A "beautiful" historic city that is 10mins from the beach. The dorms (if you're thinking of those) are spread out and vary in style.

ATL is a super-fast-paced techological city. DO NOT DRIVE anywhere from the downtown loop inward (or hell...many miles in any direction outward) during rush hour which lasts...about 3PM-7PM. Just about the worst traffic I've seen next to DC. I'm not sure about the dorms (they used to use hotels, but that was a while back). Because ATL is a big city, you will find more options on entertainment and internships (if you're a tech or media student, anyway).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I been to ALT campus last summer 07 and I can tell you it's a 5-or six floor levels if I recal it right. The one building or campus they called has a lot of Conference room and some mid size class room. Just think of going to a goverment building and have class there that's how big it is. I belive like MiranA said "super-fast-paced techological city" and I agree with the traffic during the rush hour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    Lessee...The SAV campus has more space, more majors (although ATL may have caught up by now) and most importantly--a core of professors that are well established. With the exception of a few transfers, most all of the ATL profs I've heard of were fairly green (either as artists, as teachers or both).

In terms of city, it depends on what you prefer. SAV is laid-back with none of the traffic, long-drive distances, or high cost-of-living. A "beautiful" historic city that is 10mins from the beach. The dorms (if you're thinking of those) are spread out and vary in style.

ATL is a super-fast-paced techological city. DO NOT DRIVE anywhere from the downtown loop inward (or hell...many miles in any direction outward) during rush hour which lasts...about 3PM-7PM. Just about the worst traffic I've seen next to DC. I'm not sure about the dorms (they used to use hotels, but that was a while back). Because ATL is a big city, you will find more options on entertainment and internships (if you're a tech or media student, anyway).
    Thanks for such a fast reply, Mirana. I would have guessed Savannah to be a small quiet place. It's irony how some really well known art schools such as SCAD, Ringling, and CCAD are usually in such locations. As for your last line, you did raise a good point. I don't know if I would be called a tech or a media student if I was going to major in animations and illutrations? Also, is it true that really well known companies like Disney and EA visit SCAD (Savannah or the Atlanta campus) during college fairs? That could be an alternate way of searching for internship if I decide to go to the Savannah campus. Please let me know. It really does sound like Savannah is more diverse. I wouldn't want to study as such in a chaotic place (Atlanta fits this description anyway). Right now, I'm in a school in Dayton, OH which would kind of be a Savannah equivalent minus crime rates, lol. Apart from the beach, what are some of the other Savannah attractions? I'm know there's a Savannah mall and a shuttle that goes there and to Walmart/Best Buy/Kinko's.

P.S.- Why did you put "beautiful" in quotes? =P

Last edited by GStreakT; February 11th, 2008 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post

Thanks for such a fast reply, Mirana. I would have guessed Savannah to be a small quiet place. It's irony how some really well known art schools such as SCAD, Ringling, and CCAD are usually in such locations.

As for your last line, you did raise a good point. I don't know if I would be called a tech or a media student if I was going to major in animations and illutrations (maybe even if I study somethin video-game related later on)? Also, is it true that really well known companies like Disney and EA visit SCAD (Savannah or the Atlanta campus) during college fairs? That could be an alternate way of searching for internship if I decide to go to the Savannah campus. Please let me know. It really does sound like Savannah is more diverse. I wouldn't want to study as such in a chaotic place (Atlanta fits this description anyway). Right now, I'm in a school in Dayton, OH which would kind of be a Savannah equivalent minus crime rates, lol.

Would you know any other attractions in Savannah besides the beach? I did look at the SCAD website and they mention a Savannah mall. Also, how far is the location of the Savannah Airport (International, I'm pressuming). Sorry to bombard you qith questions!

Last edited by GStreakT; February 11th, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinstarlight View Post
    I been to ALT campus last summer 07 and I can tell you it's a 5-or six floor levels if I recal it right. The one building or campus they called has a lot of Conference room and some mid size class room. Just think of going to a goverment building and have class there that's how big it is. I belive like MiranA said "super-fast-paced techological city" and I agree with the traffic during the rush hour.
    Thanks, Kevin. I am pretty impressed with Atlanta and I'm sure there are a lot of opportunities but I have never been good in big and busy places. Would you know how far the Atlanta campus is from Savannah's?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I put "beautiful" in quotes because that's the idea SAV wants to perpetuate, but it's only correct to say that about the mid-to-downtown areas (although that's where campus is anyway).

Uhm, animation is good in ATL because Turner Studios is there (IE Cartoon Network). They used to do some of their stuff in-house, but I don't know about now. I know if I could be their intern I would in a second. Illustration...eh, neither has the upperhand.

Yes, Disney, etc visit. You can take a look at the upcomming Job Fair listings to see who is coming to that, but they don't just show up during the fair (which is only in SAV). Individual departments have their own fairs and connections.

Mm, I've lived in this area for over 10 yrs and never run into crime.

There are two malls, actually. Two art museums, many galleries, occational theatre...and then all the normal "city" staples (clubs, movie theatres, etc).

ATL is about 4-5 hrs from SAV if you don't hit it during rush hr.

Last edited by Mirana; February 11th, 2008 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, Atl is a nice city but depend which part we are talking about. The last time I was there I heard some said
    Advertisment is big overthere. I guess Geogia is growing right now. hopfully they need more Graphic Designer, Animator, illustation people.

good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

Thanks for the replies, guys. This other question occured to me as well (thought of course, this is only if I do get accepte), but are ther any storage facitilies located nearby on either of the campuses? I'm not of the country so every year I have no choice but to evacuate and leave my stuff in a warehouse or so. Also, do these storage warehouses take the intiative to come to campus and help take out stuff? Right now, I usually have to take stuff to the warehouse through friends who have cars. Please let me know. This is of the utmost importance. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhh, there are tons of storage facilities in both cities, and one would assume that if you want someone else to move your stuff then it costs more....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.