My first complete painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My first complete painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first complete painting

Mostly been doing sketches and doodles up to this point, so now I decided to make moore finished paintings every once and a while, here`s my first one...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by abnormal_germ; February 10th, 2008 at 04:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Between the salt water and the sea strand
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've done some good things here, and go you for sharing this. There's some nice color and you're trying to use light and shadow. That's great stuff. But there are a few problems.

1. You need to go back and work on anatomy. If you end up hearing that a lot here from various members of the CA community, it's because everyone here has at one point been through the same situation. Nobody is born naturally good at this (if someone says they were, they're lying.) You need to do anatomy studies like nobody's business. Even if you later decide that you want a piece like this to be cartoony and distorted, you'll do it with the confidence to sell it successfully. Right now, for example, the figure on the left is resting on an arm that looks like it's made of rubber, and most of the anatomy is just plain off.

2. The biggest source of light you're showing on this piece is the big explosion/fire to the right hand side, but it's having zero effect on the two figures. They should be backlit at the very least, and that's probably not the side of their body that's going to have the greatest concentration of shadow, which is how you currently have it painted.

3. Compositionally, I'd suggest you make some thumbnails, and play with other angles and ways to convey this scene. You are likely to find a more interesting approach, because this is feeling a bit static. If you decide in the end that you want to go with this composition or something like it, you'll know that you CHOSE to do so, rather than it was just the first thing that you sketched.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

My Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you very much for the critique swan

yea, I so gotta work on the anatomy! as a matter of fact i`m going to practice everyday from here on=)...when thinking about it, the anatomi is really of!

I can defenetly see what you mean with the lights, but I was thinking that the light to the right is the sun, so they are standing with the sun in their backs. And the light coming from the left is some other random lightsource.

I guess I got to plan my paintings in the future, make it moore interesting.

I`ll try to fix the piece up soon, but i`m to tired now

dcriler is offline Product Design Engineer Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I completely agree with everything swan said.
    The one thing that really jumps out to me is the painting looks a little heavy on the right side. There seems to be too much negative space on the left. If there is one thing I learned in Art school it was try to place the most interesting area of a painting closer to the left side of a painting. The reason being because when we look at anything, we tend to focus on the right side first. So if everything interesting is going on on the right there's nothing leading the eye to the left.
    I think this is a great start but just try decreasing the negative space on the left and see if you like that. I hope that makes sense. Good luck with your art.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.