Art: Argh!!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Argh!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Argh!!!

I use Painter to do some digital paintings (portraits). And I am so frustrated I am trying to break the habit of always using the blend tools! But I can't seem to do it. I have posted in the past and I got numerous people telling me that my paintings were to "soft" I think I have improved but I still keep using the blend tools at times. What is wrong with me?! It's like whenever I lay all my colors down when painting a portrait I want to go directly to the blend tools to blend all the colors together. Can anyone give me some advice?
    Is it perhaps that maybe using the blend tool is not such a bad thing, but that I am maybe just not using it properly??? Does that make sense??
    What am I doing wrong??

I have included two paintings I have done.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Between the salt water and the sea strand
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a very long time I had the exact same habit as you, so I really do know what you're talking about. It was so easy! It made everything look so soft! (And, you know, look like it was made in Painter.) Let me tell ya, it's a habit you need to kick. I cured myself by by making myself a limited palate of brushes -- a chalky oil pastel, a fine opaque gauche, a custom pencil (a regular 2B pencil, but with Method set to "cover" and "soft cover" in the Brush Creator,) and a varient Sumi-e brush that I use for hair. I forced myself to use those brushes for a while until I was confident that I could render the way I wanted without using smudge tools. I found that I ended up using pastels a lot, then going in and adding definition with multiple light strokes of pencil. (Your mileage and brush preference may vary.)

Play around and find a set of brushes that you can work with (obviously, don't include any smudge tools.) Then ONLY have that palette out! If your having trouble not using the smudge tools, you need to play around with your brushes and find something that will work better for you. Force yourself to paint back into your work to create the look you want for a while, and see where that takes you.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

My Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I would recommend looking at Morgan Weistling's work. His website is www.morganweistling.com. I have his DVD and he really only blends subtley at times and is always just putting down little tiles of paint to build it up. It's been helping me to watch his DVD and try and incorporate that to what I'm working at. Maybe try something like Guache or Watercolor where it's not as easy to blend. It might break some habits and help when you go back to Painter...

Members who have read this thread: 1