GM's electric car (production version spotted!!!)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GM's electric car (production version spotted!!!)

Page two has spy photos of the Volt taken on the set of Transformers 2.

Name:  2172404369_2f988f6ce1.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  97.9 KB

This is the Chevy volt, it is so far on schedule to hit the market in 2010 as a 2011 model year car. It is the first extended-range plug-in electric car.

It represents the possibility of the United States (and everywhere else) finally being able to lessen our dependence on foriegn oil.

I don't know if you guys care that much about this stuff, but I think that this thing is really cool and I'm planning on getting one as soon as I can afford it.

If you have any interest in keeping up with the volt, or anything related, you should check out GM-volt.com

I guess I should point out that I don't work for GM or anything, I just think this is a really big deal.

Last edited by wiggum; September 4th, 2008 at 05:41 PM.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We're one step closer to flying cars I suppose

I think it's neat to see how cars are changing with the way everyone is going green lately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    super cool, it's just a shame that the auto industry is getting their act together so late in the game

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watch the documentary "who killed the electric car?"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to archipelago For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lets hope this goes through and something doesnt fuck it all up *cough*oil companies and bush*cough* Cause if this works, I feel sorry for my neighbors cause id be constantly hooking up to their outside outlet lol.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well it looks nice... The only question is how do you produce the electricity to power this car? If it's all wind power or something, then fine. But somehow I doubt it'll be that good...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the good news is that Bush will finally be out of office when this car is set to hit production.

Electricity for the car will most likely be generated by burning coal found in the United States, at least at first. Eventually Various types of green energy like windmills and water power could be used. In a relatively short period of time we could be driving cars that have no negative direct or indirect effect on the environment at all.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder how the tradition of fueling up will be like in the future...

Will we have a bar or hangout place at a charging station? Or maybe charging will just be very quick.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Space Chimp-It will take about six hours to do a complete charge of the vehicle. But this could be done at your house while you sleep, but I do like the idea of a hangout at a charging station.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, it's an electric car that doesn't look totally ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaba View Post
    We're one step closer to flying cars I suppose
    Just get a helicopter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tesla Roadster

more expensive,
    shorter range,

but hell if it isn't hot.

Last edited by Justin.; February 10th, 2008 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the problem - from the Volt's FAQ:

drive up to 40 miles on pure electricity stored in the battery from overnight home charging
    By the time this thing DOES come out in 2010 or 2011, there will be other cars that can outperform the Volt. As in, travel farther on a battery. Like, this one: http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/

100+ miles per charge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, but its ugly. Look kinda like the Aztec meets an Avalanche....

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PatriciaS-Correct me if I'm wrong, but the car you showed there is a fully electric car with a range of about 100 miles per charge.

While it is true that the Volt is only going to get 40 miles per charge on pure electricity it will also have an on board generator that will recharge the battery after it passes the 40 mile limit as it is running.

The genius of this is that the since the generator will not be directly hooked up to the wheels it will be able to run at one speed, producing more efficiency. After you reach the 40 mile limit you will be able to keep going another 500-700 miles on one tank of gas or ethanol. With pure electric cars you have to stop after 100 miles.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that car you showed, and the fact that its American made is even better, but my god is that thing ugly.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the problem isn't technology, with political will and MONEY we could have electric cars that are more than a match for old cars in terms of cost, effectivity and reliability. The most important thing, I think, is that the energy is produced in a green way.

But still, there's always a catch with these different ways of producing green eneergy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, but its ugly.
    Your argument holds water like a rock

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    PatriciaS-Correct me if I'm wrong, but the car you showed there is a fully electric car with a range of about 100 miles per charge.

While it is true that the Volt is only going to get 40 miles per charge on pure electricity it will also have an on board generator that will recharge the battery after it passes the 40 mile limit as it is running.
    Via the link I provided, in the FAQ of Phoenix Motor Cars:

Q: What is the driving range of these vehicles?
    A: The range is approximately 130 miles. We are currently working on an expansion pack extending the range to 250 miles, available in 2007.

Q: How do you charge the vehicle?
    A: They charge with an on-board 6.6kW charger that plugs into a 220V outlet, the same as an electric dryer outlet in your home. Off-board charging can be accomplished with a special charger in as little as 10 minutes.

The genius of this is that the since the generator will not be directly hooked up to the wheels it will be able to run at one speed, producing more efficiency. After you reach the 40 mile limit you will be able to keep going another 500-700 miles on one tank of gas or ethanol. With pure electric cars you have to stop after 100 miles.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that car you showed, and the fact that its American made is even better, but my god is that thing ugly.
    Basically, the FAQs of the Volt goes like this:

The battery can last for the first 40 miles. After that the on-board gasoline/E85 generator will power up to keep the battery from running out.

So, on PURE electric, it only runs up to 40-miles. AFTER 40, it runs via gas or ethanol. While that "ugly" vehicle in the link I posted (as if the Volt is a thing of beauty), runs on ONE charge, 100-miles.

Right now, there ARE electric cars that run 40-miles on electric, so the Volt is ALREADY behind the times. I'm not raining on GM's parade, just stating that they are VERY late into the game. And what they are producing here is nothing new nor innovative.

There's already options out there and this as so far in 2007 was still in "concept" mode. In other words, I ain't going to hold my breath for GM to release this car.

ETA: we've (my SO and I) have been shopping for an electric car; something we can tool about in town (small town) and on our 13-acres. We've found a local dealer that sells ZAP! cars and have several contacts in the biz (locally) who know this shit inside and out. Besides, our home is solar powered, we're pretty much set up for an electric car (all we need is a couple more solar modules for the charge) and it's the next stage of our "evolution".

For anyone else interested in more information, some links:
    http://www.projectbetterplace.com/
    http://www.zapworld.com/
    http://www.evworld.com/

Last edited by smugbug; February 10th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PatriciaS-I'm not trying to start an argument here, and I think it is great that there are a lot of great companies working on electric cars, the fact that a lot of them are american makes things even better. Perhaps stiff competition will really lite a fire under GM's ass.

Since I live in Detroit I have a soft spot for the big three, so I'm still going to support GM and the Volt.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpian View Post
    Well it looks nice... The only question is how do you produce the electricity to power this car? If it's all wind power or something, then fine. But somehow I doubt it'll be that good...
    Even if the electricity was generated by burning coal, it would still have less carbon emissions. Electric engines are inherently more efficient than gasoline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GM has reportedly reached a design freeze for the first generation Chevy Volt, while they haven't actually released any pictures of it yet their was recently some video taken in one of their test facilities in Warren showing a one third scale model of what will most likely be the final design in a wind tunnel. Unfortunatly it is obscured by tape so it is hard to tell exactly what it looks like. Here is a pic and a link the the video along with another teaser pic GM released of the final design's front end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_8uF8QKfeI

Name:  2388136836_5b32382da6_o.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  aerov.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  81.0 KB

You can check gm-volt.com for more info.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like this is the only thing that will save the american car companies, or chevy at least.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All the more power to Chevy for taking the initiative on electric motoring.

I'm surprised and disappointed that other car companies seem oblivious to the fact that petrol cars are no longer attractive.

What's funny is Holden and Ford with all their V8's, and the people who drive them. Such naivety.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    I'm surprised and disappointed that other car companies seem oblivious to the fact that petrol cars are no longer attractive.
    your personal opinion is a horrible way to decide what everybody else thinks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We need this bad and im glad chevy is planning on releasing it at 30k. I want one so bad !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ACbdTJws0

Last edited by Robert.B; April 5th, 2008 at 01:43 PM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Even if the electricity was generated by burning coal, it would still have less carbon emissions. Electric engines are inherently more efficient than gasoline.
    electric engine efficiency doesn't have much (or, rather, doesn't have a damn thing) to do with the way the electricity for it was produced. last time I checked coal power plants weren't very green. now, as far as "gasoline engine that powers the car via crankshaft" as opposed to "gasoline engine that powers the car via spinning a generator" I somehow doubt that it's more efficient in mile per gallon ratio. which is what that car boils down to, since 40 mile range on battery charge is a laughable proposition for anything other than a single commute back and forth within a 20 mile radius.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *cough* Greenwashing. *cough* This car doesn't even come out for four years and they have massive posters covering buildings. Have you seen the commercial? Sooo happy! Three children(all PC), enthralled by the car while a black Mr.Rogers lovingly explains it virtues.

I'm not against it but I AM much more excited for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUXhJZZRUIg

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mack View Post
    *cough* Greenwashing. *cough* This car doesn't even come out for four years and they have massive posters covering buildings. Have you seen the commercial? Sooo happy! Three children(all PC), enthralled by the car while a black Mr.Rogers lovingly explains it virtues.

I'm not against it but I AM much more excited for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUXhJZZRUIg
    finally! Motorcycles like the one that Kaneda drove in the movie "AKIRA", sweetness!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fundamental difference between the Volt and the myriad electric cars already on the market is that the Volt is intended to provide the comfort and convenience that people expect from conventional mid-sized sedans, not to mention the safety of advanced crash structures and systems that are generally unavailable in current small-scale manufacturers' products. The reason people don't flock to those is the same reason that nobody likes the Geo Metro. Ever ridden in one of those? There is little or no noise/vibration/harshness control due to such measures resulting in increased weight, cost, and decreased range, the materials are light and flimsy, and they float all over the place on a windy highway at speed. That's why the second generation Toyota Prius stomped all over the Honda Insight- it's an essentially similar driving experience to a Corolla or Camry, rather than a super-lightweight novelty commuter.

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T. S. Eliot

ArenaNet Artists' Sketch Blog

30. The Following User Says Thank You to M.C.Barrett For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    your personal opinion is a horrible way to decide what everybody else thinks
    Where did I say that this is what everybody thinks?

Do you have anything better to do than troll in the lounge?
    Every time I see your comment in the lounge, it's something negative aimed at another poster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C.Barrett View Post
    The fundamental difference between the Volt and the myriad electric cars already on the market is that the Volt is intended to provide the comfort and convenience that people expect from conventional mid-sized sedans, not to mention the safety of advanced crash structures and systems that are generally unavailable in current small-scale manufacturers' products. The reason people don't flock to those is the same reason that nobody likes the Geo Metro. Ever ridden in one of those? There is little or no noise/vibration/harshness control due to such measures resulting in increased weight, cost, and decreased range, the materials are light and flimsy, and they float all over the place on a windy highway at speed. That's why the second generation Toyota Prius stomped all over the Honda Insight- it's an essentially similar driving experience to a Corolla or Camry, rather than a super-lightweight novelty commuter.
    I couldn't have put it better myself.

Here is a higher resolution pic of the model I took from gm-volt.com

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.