The Cintiq 12wx and the Modbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Cintiq 12wx and the Modbook

The new, smaller Cintiq is a really good idea and I love the format, but they didn't follow through and make it usable. I got one at work and it picks up RF interference like crazy. Worse than my old Graphire tablet, and that thing would get interference from radio signals and cell phones. So after a couple weeks working with the IT guys and separating out all my cords and trying different locations, we ended up calling Wacom, and they basically told us that the 12wx isn't shielded as well at the other Cintiqs and is not intended for serious workstation use. It's not just one faulty monitor, it's the whole model. The IT guys are attempting to rig it with some kind of aftermarket shielding, but it's probably not going to work and we'll have to return it for one of the bigger ones.

If anyone out there is considering this great-looking, smaller, cheaper, more portable tablet monitor... Keep saving up and get a big Cintiq instead.

I also have a Modbook - and aside from some huge problems with OSX which I think are my fault, the feel of that thing is great. It's got 512 levels of pressure sensitivity, and the surface of the glass actually felt nicer than that of the Cintiq... And no interference at all... And it's a self-contained computer, which gives it points over the Cintiq, and has all the usual Macbook ports *and* an optical drive, the only slate tablet that has that. People have asked me about lag, and honestly it seems like the only times I've noticed any lag at all were in the write-anywhere handwriting recognition (just a pause between starting to write and having the little balloon for your writing pop up) and a little in Photoshop - and they seemed to be software issues. The lag when drawing a line in Photoshop was the same as doing so on an Intuos.

There was a bit of getting-used-to with it, especially being a PC person, and at first I found the thing totally frustrating (mostly the lack of a keyboard, but it's got USB ports for that). But as far as a direct digital drawing surface (tried the Fujitsu Stylistic a bit too) I haven't found anything that really matches it. Plus it's not Vista... I really wanted a tablet laptop but not Vista so it's really the only option now that Vista's on all new Windows laptops.

So anyone out there looking for a direct drawing surface... Just some personal experiences to help you make your choice.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nonie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really considering the modbook... but I'm not sure I want to give up PC stuff altogether (not too mention all my software is PC version). Have you tried running windows on the modbook? I'm not exactly sure how it works, but apparently you can have several OS's on the new macs. Just wondering if and how it works?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This got posted on another forum of mine: http://www.xernon.co.uk/products/xpc1700b.html

Its a cheaper non-wacom cintiq. None of us know if its any good, but its certainly a good bit less expensive. I'd bet its quite usable.

EDIT: try this link. I think the old one got moved on their website: http://www.p-active.eu/uk/products/xpc1700b.html

Last edited by aesir; March 5th, 2008 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aesir View Post
    This got posted on another forum of mine: http://www.xernon.co.uk/products/xpc1700b.html

Its a cheaper non-wacom cintiq. None of us know if its any good, but its certainly a good bit less expensive. I'd bet its quite usable.
    nifty, a 1/3 price for a Cintiq, any reviews yet on it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info man, I have been thinking about getting a cintiq12 for a while, for its portability..Id have to reconsider now. When you get interference on it, what exactly happens to it, how is it affected??
    I use my cintiq on a daily basis, and I have gotten some interference from my speakers, but it only jiggles my cursor at the edge of the screen...no biggie.
    if the interference is greater than that, then Id have to pass on it.

On the other hand, that xernon screen is looking pretty sweet...I looked around their site and I did not see any US shipping or services.
    Anyone know if they sell to the US? Id be happy to try one out and review it...take one for the team..hehe

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I'm really considering the modbook... but I'm not sure I want to give up PC stuff altogether (not too mention all my software is PC version). Have you tried running windows on the modbook? I'm not exactly sure how it works, but apparently you can have several OS's on the new macs. Just wondering if and how it works?
    He just has to install windows through boot camp. I'm curious how they dealt with this, because you'd need new drivers for the PC end I suspect.

I've already got a saving account dedicated to getting a mod book, as a mac user I could care less about the PC end but it would be cool to be able to use everything possible. At the moment I have a fairly new imac and I use the PC side for games mostly. The mod book looks so juicy.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol yea alfaro, plz buy that xernon and tell us all if its worth it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the Modbook looks well impressive....they should call it a WacBook.......
    (now, if they can just merge Painter with Photoshop....)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeker - I know you can install Vista on the Modbook. They had two demo models running on Vista at MacWorld. YOu might even be able to buy them with Vista installed instead of OSX, I'm not too sure. I've actually been having issues transitioning to OSX myself, and I still haven't gotten Mac versions of all the software I like to have. But I head such terrible things about Vista that I didn't want to get any new computer with that OS installed.

Blue - I'm a she

Quote Originally Posted by JL.Alfaro View Post
    Thanks for the info man, I have been thinking about getting a cintiq12 for a while, for its portability..Id have to reconsider now. When you get interference on it, what exactly happens to it, how is it affected??
    I use my cintiq on a daily basis, and I have gotten some interference from my speakers, but it only jiggles my cursor at the edge of the screen...no biggie.
    if the interference is greater than that, then Id have to pass on it.
    The jiggles you experience at the edge of your screen, well, it does that over the whole screen for me - worse at the edges though. The IT guys at work spoke to the Wacom booth at GDC this week and said they told them to have me use only the Cintiq and no additional screen, which might be okay for home use but I rely on the dual monitor setup at work - and with a tiny screen like that I liked it best for being able to sketch on it and have the document open on both screens so I could glance at the zoomed-out version on the bigger screen. Plus I thought that only CRTs caused that kind of interference and we only use LCDs at work.

So yeah, it might be okay without an additional monitor, but it's kind of too small to be a primary monitor. But if you want a cheaper Cintiq and are okay with a small screen then maybe it's not so bad.

I've gone back to a dual monitor with an Intuos at work until the IT crew sorts this out. They're attempting to shield it themselves but they're swamped so I have to wait -_-

Edit: That Xernon thing looks pretty cool... No expresskeys or touchstrip but I find myself using the keyboard instead anyway so that wouldn't bug me... If anyone tries it out, let's hear how it goes!

Last edited by nonie; February 24th, 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of months ago I saw someone working with that laptop with a real Wacom build in the screen, 512 levels of pressure sensitivity etc. that you could turn and pivot, so you actually had a keyboard like a normal laptop in addition to the screen. I can't remember the name or type number of it though, but the Modbook resembles it a bit. Not sure if it's still being produced or sold either

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the modbook doesn't have a keyboard though, so wouldn't it be a hassle using different tools and such in painting programs? changing brush sizes and stuff would be a pain, same with switching tools and additional things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nonie, I'm sure your problem is an isolated one. I have a Cintiq 12WX as part of a 3 monitor setup, with two big speakers nearby and there is no interference on mine. The very edges are jittery but that is a problem common to all cintiqs and tablet PCs, the center is absolutely fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by frog from itchy View Post
    Nonie, I'm sure your problem is an isolated one. I have a Cintiq 12WX as part of a 3 monitor setup, with two big speakers nearby and there is no interference on mine. The very edges are jittery but that is a problem common to all cintiqs and tablet PCs, the center is absolutely fine.
    I hope you're right, but talking to Wacom several times, through tech support and at their booth at GDC, they insisted that replacing the Cintiq wouldn't change anything and that they're just not shielded well. I'll mention your experience to IT and ask if they can try to get a replacement anyway. How do you have it set up with 2 other monitors though? That'd be awesome.

serhc - Noope, no keyboard, but the Modbook has a little remote that looks like an ipod that you can program keystrokes to. It won't do modifiers like shift or alt, which is annoying. But it does have a USB input so I'm going to get one of those Matias folding keyboards when they come out and use that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    How do you have it set up with 2 other monitors though?
    I already had 2 monitors running off my main gfx card, so I just added a second card in a PCI slot to power te Cintiq.

As for the jitters, have you tried using a different pen? A few months ago my Intuos started jittering everywhere, the pen had become defective. A new pen fixed the problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by frog from itchy View Post
    I already had 2 monitors running off my main gfx card, so I just added a second card in a PCI slot to power te Cintiq.

As for the jitters, have you tried using a different pen? A few months ago my Intuos started jittering everywhere, the pen had become defective. A new pen fixed the problem.
    Ahh I dunno if they'll let me add another card on my work comp. I did try multiple pens, there was no difference.

Update on all of this: I got the Cintiq back from IT with the cords and a little 1/2 inch strip around the edge of the screen on the front all covered in foil. I think they put some on the inside too, not really sure - the Cintiq had just reappeared on my desk when I came in this morning. It's ghetto looking but seems to have helped, there's still a little jiggle (esp. on the side closer to the monitor and tower) but it's way reduced and pretty much gone from the center. It's still annoying if I use the Cintiq to control the bigger monitor and do things like, say, scroll a window, but I can do that with my mouse instead. But I can get decent-looking lines on it now So, the remedy's pretty gimpy looking but it seems to work so far.

Edit: *Sigh* Still gets interference. It seems to vary pretty widely between hardly being there and still being pretty bad, not sure why.

Last edited by nonie; February 26th, 2008 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't an isolated problem, check out Wacoms forum -

http://www.wacom-europe.com/forum/to...age=5&ARCHIVE=

Im pretty angry about the whole deal, it is marketed (and priced!) as a professional product and by its very nature is going to be used in an environment with other computer hardware which will cause interference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really curious about the XPC1700 linked above, but haven't been able to find any info on it (link above is dead for me and can't find any other websites with pricing/distribution details). Has anyone else been able to track one of these down?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trev - holy shit, just saw your link. Looks like it's a bigger problem than I thought. Wacom's been insisting that the problem's envionmental, but that's BS, I don't even have speakers or a CRT and the problems still exist when I remove my other monitor (LCD). Fuuuck I am so frustrated - the foil we plastered on the thing does help a little but it looks ghetto as hell and I still can't draw a goddamn circle. It makes sense that the tilt sensitivity could be an issue - my Modbook doesn't have tilt sensitivity and it draws perfect lines. I'm gonna try turning off the tilt sensitivity in the driver, but why the hell would they include it if that's such a problem?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great info on this thread - thanks!!

Sorry, I'm new to forums in general and not sure where to post my question. I'm thinking of saving up for a modbook but I was wondering if you can use Intuos 3 pen nibs with Axiotron’s Studio Pen for the modbook?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.