Thoughts on Vilppu Teaching methods?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thoughts on Vilppu Teaching methods?

Hi all, what is everyone's thoughts on Vilppu's teaching methods and have they helped anyone?
    From the dvds to his books.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I the only one who's ever heard of Glen Vilppu?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took a class from him over a year ago. While the man is very good at gesture and figurative work (he's a machine at output...even if he wasn't that old!), he's not what I would call an amazing teacher. He has a tough time explaining things, and I didn't find his methods any different from other figurative professors.

However, I don't know anything about his dvds or books. Perhaps you might get something from seeing his process.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My only experience is with his books, which are excellent. I've heard some complaints about the technical quality of the dvds (they're older vhs transfers).

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I've heard some complaints about the technical quality of the dvds (they're older vhs transfers).
    They're rather lacking, yes.
    I still did find them greatly informative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, they seem very informative. The only dvds I have are the gesture dvd and the combining spheres and boxes one.

I also have his Drawing Manual.

I was wondering how effective they are and if anyone else uses them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vilppus DVD are the best I have watched so far it is a pity that the sound is awful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have any complaints of the videos. They are shot while he is giving a class so you can hear papers shuffling, people walking/talking past the classroom etc. But you can always hear Glen and see what he's drawing on the board clearly. The whole series will cost you a small fortune but they are worth it. It taught me more about anatomy than any book ever did.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, one dvd was already pretty pricey.
    I was wondering if I'm ok just having the gesture and combining boxes and spheres dvd + his drawing manual..or do I have to get all 12 of his dvds in order to get the full benefit.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't seen is dvds but I did run across the books and they seem pretty nice. I am looking at the Animal Drawing manual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took Glenn's classes and they helped me a lot. He teaches for animators so he really gets you thinking 3d.

The Vilppu manual is the textbook for his class, 12 chapters/12 weeks of class. I'd suggest the whole series as opposed to just having the ones you mentioned only because they all work together and build off the previous one.

I was working out of just the manual for awhile but when I took his classes I got a lot more. If he has a weekend seminar sometime, try to make it to one. You could probably sit in on one of his classes if you asked ahead of time.

Are you thinking of taking classes at some point or just getting the dvd series?

Take a look at Sheldon Borenstein's site too, a bit of a clone, (and a ham!) but he has some good info I think.

http://www.sheldonsartacademy.com/

also some you tube stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sheldonsartacademy

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yea, I heard Sheldon Borenstein's classes are structured after Vilppu's (heck, he was Vilppu's student wasn't he?)

I was thinking of just using the book and those 2 dvds, since getting all 12 of them would be over $200, and I don't have that kind of money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The DVDs are really very good, you will learn a lot from them. Get the first two, and if you get the benefit from them that I did you might consider getting some more - you don't have to buy them all in one go, it takes time to digest all of the information.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by frog from itchy View Post
    The DVDs are really very good, you will learn a lot from them. Get the first two, and if you get the benefit from them that I did you might consider getting some more - you don't have to buy them all in one go, it takes time to digest all of the information.
    Right, work on the stuff you have for a time and when you think you've digested it order a couple more...repeat.

Try to get into a figure drawing workshop as well so you'll be working from a live model.

He used to do a correspondence course where you send in (or maybe email) artwork and he'd do a video critique for you. I actually did that a couple times before I moved to L.A. Don't know if he's still doing that though, I guess you could email and ask.

Some art stores and even libraries may have his vids (and other drawing instructors) to rent, try that also. At my community college library they have Robert Beverly Hale's lectures to watch...but you have to watch at the library-no check outs, those things are way too expensive to lend out!

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glenn Vilppu is a great teacher. Your best bet is to actually take one of his classes and draw from a live model while he lectures and demonstrates. He gives excellent lectures and can demonstrate anything he lectures about. He is also very patient and will answer questions. I have one of his manuals which is very helpful but not as helpful as actually being in his class. My friends own a few of his DVDs and find them useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's too bad I don't think I'll ever get a chance to take a class with him any time soon.
    Too far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been downloading his manual, I really like it! I havent used it extensively yet, but I think it will greatly improve my ability. Gesture is one of my biggest problems. My friend on gamefaqs recommended it, saying it changed his art. This is a link to that friend's figure drawings: http://elysiumstudios.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have one of his books and i also have one of his DvD's and I at least have improved on my figure drawings. I haven't taken any classes from him but i have taken classes from Sheldon Borenstein and I've gone to his school as well. Really good books from both of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I've begun working my way through Vilppu's Drawing Manual right now and am grateful for all feedback and advices I can get along the way (currently at chapter 2, "Spherical form").

In my thread about the progress of these studies there are also links to articles based on the chapters in Vilppu's DM and "Sketching On Location" as well as a few short but nice video clips of Glenn drawing. Got recommended a blog written by one of his students - Mark Chong - as well. Loads of free drawing instruction videos that are really good can be found there.

Feel free to drop by. Follow the "Basic drawing exercises" link in my sig. Envy you guys who've had the chance to really have him as your teacher. :-)

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 13th, 2009 at 04:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I accidentally clicked one of his short clipps onced on youtube, the mouse slipped, and then I learnt stuff against my will.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    I took a class from him over a year ago. While the man is very good at gesture and figurative work (he's a machine at output...even if he wasn't that old!), he's not what I would call an amazing teacher. He has a tough time explaining things, and I didn't find his methods any different from other figurative professors.

However, I don't know anything about his dvds or books. Perhaps you might get something from seeing his process.
    Who would you call an amazing teacher?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Living or dead? Robert Beverly Hale was incredible. He had a way of linking everything to visual imagery. It was years and years ago that I studied with him and I still remember everything he taught.

My guess is that Goldfinger is a great teacher. His anatomy books are wonderfully clear and worth the money.

I'd also hazard a guess that Aristides runs a good class. She's so intelligent about painting and has an open mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man i wish Loomis was living i bet he was a great teacher.....Vilppu's drawing manual is it good for gesture?...I'm looking to get two book's and dvd's by Vilppu but whats the best books and dvds to get im looking for bang for my buck lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, Goldfinger's also looks like someone who will en up succeeding with students. I love those block, tone illustrations at the back of his anatomy book.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pencilgeek View Post
    man i wish Loomis was living i bet he was a great teacher.....Vilppu's drawing manual is it good for gesture?...I'm looking to get two book's and dvd's by Vilppu but whats the best books and dvds to get im looking for bang for my buck lol.
    Well, Vilppu's DM is on figure drawing and he starts out with gesture as a foundation, then moves on to basic shapes like sphere and box and how to apply them in drawing.

Links to articles based on the chapters in Vilppu's DM and "Sketching on location" as well as some other useful links - and some of my studies from following the manual - can be found in my "Drawing basics" thread (link in sig). Feel free to drop by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bump for more input.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vilppu is one of the instructors i'd like to get into, but i'm too occupied with a combination of Loomis, Hamm and Bridgeman to have time to do so atm. I've heard his books for hand drawing and gesture drawings are excellent, and i'll probably end up buying them at some point .

- When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i learned so much from the vilppu videos. yes they are expensive but they are worth every penny. i have the anatomy videos and the drapery one. I do one of them almost every morning to warm up.

The videos are part class, where he stands in front of the people and draws and teaches. and part where he draws only for the camera. i watch and draw with the first part mostly. you learn a lot about general drawing, too by watching him. if you want to start with something i suggest you buy the head (part 1) and torso ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been using Vilppu's manual and watching his videos for more than two years. His teachings helped me to dramatically improve my drawing and painting skills. I would say try to get your hands on some more of his videos if you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched 2 episodes of his gesture drawing videos yesterday. And daaamn, I learnt alot. And for the first time I actually understood how to draw in 3d. Maybe, haha.
    I thought I understood it before, but obviously I didnt.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 28