Sketchbook: clayman101's sketchbook... update June 12

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

clayman101's sketchbook... update June 12

I'll post more as I get it cleaned up and scanned in. But to start, here's one of the most successful Spideys I ever drew. It's a little old, I wouldn't approach it the same way now (the figure's right arm is so wrong), but I still like it. More to come.Name:  spiderman01 for post.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  spiderman clean02 for post.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  88.2 KB

Last edited by clayman101; June 12th, 2008 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Am I doing this right? I think so...

I'm not sure yet how to add to a thread, so I'm trying it this way first, by replying to my own thread. This is a character I drew up for a project. I'll post some of the concepts I worked up before I settled on this design later. If you're wondering why I didn't draw the legs, I knew the character would not be shown below the hips.
    This is the "Bug Driver" as I think of her, in her development phases. You can see how I used notes from different ideas to come up with her. The colour, and the framed layout were both done quickly. I intend to do a proper design sheet eventually.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by clayman101; March 6th, 2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: New Picture
    Check out my Sketchbook
    3D Stuff Models

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just press "Edit" in the lover right corner of your post, then go "advanced", then "manage attachments". Here you can add and remove images.
    Your images look very nice, but do you maybe draw them a little small? Would like to see the images a little larger. Linework looks good, but would be nice to see the more clear detail a bigger image would give. Keep it up!

Please take the time to give me some constructive criticism in my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tip. I don't draw small at all, this size just seemed appropriate to post at. When I had a 1000 x pixel ratio, they appeared huge on my screen, wouldn't even fit. They both appear at about 6" x 5" on my screen, I'm curious if it shows that size on yours. I'll be checking your book post haste.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey welcome to CA sketchbooks!
    if you want to update, you did it right you just have to reply to your own thread
    editing is if you want to change a particular thread, for example the first one to change your title to like a different date to show you updated that day
    nice comic book style, few things in the first spidey bother me but you already noticed that stuff
    keep updating!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice clean tight linework I also like your experimentation with design in the rough sketches.

My sketchbook is here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comment
    Your new colorpost looks good. Her left shoulderplate though, does not look quite right.
    To add a link o your sb you have to go to "User CP" in the above menu, go to "Edit Signature" and write a little something like; "this is my sketchbook, please comment", then put a link in a word or the sentence by highlighting it, and then press the globe with a link on it in the above menu. Add the link to your sb-thread and presto.

good luck sir

Please take the time to give me some constructive criticism in my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Busted. Good eye. Her entire left arm isn't the original. She used to have a staff that she held with her arm out, then up, gripping the staff. For what she was being used for, there wasn't enough space for the entire picture. So, to get her into her space, I had to get rid of the staff and change the arm to a tighter pose. I could never quite get the new arm to look natural. I should post the original sketch to show the pose.

Last edited by clayman101; February 23rd, 2008 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more characters...

These three characters were created at the same time as the 'bug driver'.Name:  mister x composite with colour.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  332.5 KB

Name:  viper driver composite with colour.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  261.9 KB

Name:  fop composite with colour.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  212.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here's some more...

More characters that came into being for one reason or other.Name:  zombie viking clean03 for post.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  164.3 KB

Name:  witch queen clean01 for post.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  ogre king clean01 for post.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  189.9 KB

Name:  sword dude clean01 for post.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  candy fiend clean01 for post.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  198.6 KB

Name:  jellyfish girl clean01 for post.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  148.6 KB

Check out my Sketchbook
    3D Stuff Models

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA! Good start. Some varied line thickness might make your linework pop a bit more. Dig the Spidey. Keep it up!

Watch out for Piranhas

PIRANHA'S SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff man - agree with Piranha Clan on the linework. Great characters though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great characters man,dig the spidey too.keep em up and you know - anatomy studies is the key
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mo' characters

So here's the thing: This beastie is going to be turned into a 3D model, and I'm in the design phase. Imagine an enormous planet with enormous lifeforms. This particular bit of fauna is a parasite colony writ large, and mean. With the colony of worms, there is the main body which can be thought of as the spine, and the offspring, which act as the muscles. Each major muscle is just a smaller form of the main worm. The support structure is made of secretions from the worms, which hardens into incredibly durable material.

This parasite has to be fast and tough, charging its potential host at top speed in order to drive the main worm into a new host. If successful, the offspring will remain outside to die, while the main body feeds on its new host, growing larger. When it exits it's latest host, it will be larger, able to create more spawn, making more complex 'parasite delivery systems' possible. Eventually, one of the discarded daughters will be large enough to survive on its own, keeping the cycle alive.

This particular beastie, however, has been domesticated into a high speed battle/racing breed.

I'd like to hear your opinions on what kind of direction I should go with the head. Keep in mind, it has to be able to pierce its enormous host at top speed with its skull plate. Personally, I'm happy with the body and head of the image on the page with the three heads. The head on the left looks too dragony, and the one on the right doesn't seem appropriate. The middle head is a different version of the smaller sketch, and has potential. So what do you guys think? If you sketch up an idea, feel free to post it.

Thanks, all!
    Name:  bug driver beast clean for post.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  162.7 KB

Name:  bug driver beast clean02 for post.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  245.6 KB

Last edited by clayman101; February 21st, 2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
    Check out my Sketchbook
    3D Stuff Models

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They look mean! I love the 'action shot' with the rider, Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

design update

Okay, so here's a little more of the bug beastie.

It was suggested to me that I do a shot of the worm without it's colony, and I thought that was a good idea. This is a shot of a younger worm (basically a big, muscular, smart tapeworm), which would just barely be big enough to make the sketched version of the colony (see above).

Also, I want to paint an action shot of the rider, so here's a preliminary sketch. The beastie she's on would be one of the largest that they ride.
    Name:  bug driver beast03 for post.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  171.3 KB
    Name:  bug driver clean002 shaded for post.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  304.0 KB

Last edited by clayman101; February 23rd, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
    Check out my Sketchbook
    3D Stuff Models

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hrmm... very interesting character and creature designs. you also stated in you reply in my sketchbook that you were into some 3D art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, 3D stuff. The bug driver is being built already, and the bug will hit the pipeline in about two weeks. As soon as I get some wireframe images of the model, I'll post them.

Check out my Sketchbook
    3D Stuff Models

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, cool designs. I think you're developing a cool style too. Just keep loose and free the mind and keep crankin out ideas!!! Looking forward to seeing the bug guy in 3D! That Witch Queen stood out to me particularly. Simple design but cool hair and a great pose and attitude. Also really like the quick sketch of the younger worm with the standing rough character beside it.

BTW, in answer to your question in my SB, I used to draw on paper with ink. usually a Pitt pen or a Sumi brush. But I have been experimenting with Painter and Photoshop alot and finally got a pen I like in Painter that simulates a Sumi brush or really flexible crowquill in a way that works real well for me. So in the last few weeks Ive been exclusively digital and as i do it more Im loving it. Once you start getting used to is it's so much quicker and spontaneous.

feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
    -----------------------------------------
    ART - MUSIC - Vimeo - YouTube - IMDb - SKETCHBOOK

21. The Following User Says Thank You to feeesh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyyyyyyy
    Just noticed your sketchbook, interesting ideas!
    Couple things i'd like to mention about your work (especially those lines). I honestly believe you have lots of potential as a growing artist. Your characterization seems to be your strong point. Good ethics when giving characters attitude and personality, as seen in this image. One thing I would like to advise when you start putting your strokes down, try to keep as "thin lined" as possible. Heavy strokes can make your artwork appear gritty and blocky if not applied appropriately. For instance, using a variety of line widths to distinguish between texture or parts is good principle on how to make your character work easier to read. It also makes the overall image appear cleaner then thick lines would.

Beyond studying life and anatomy, keep practicing!
    ~Mick

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Coinpurse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to feeesh and Coinpurse for their kind words.

As far as linework goes, I am currently (and much to my chagrin) only using a graphic marker to ink things, so the linework that I used to get with a crowquill just isn't possible. I try to get line attenuation as much as I can, and I try to keep lineweights distinct by giving them different weights for different reasons (a heavier outline than inner details, for example), but, like Coinpurse says, that can give a blocky appearance if it isn't handled well.

Crits and compliments are always welcome.

Check out my Sketchbook
    3D Stuff Models

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're lines are dope, nice and clean, but there deffinatly needs more variation in line widths, alot of detail is lost because of this.

I really like your way of showing all the process shots, but, (another but ) the border is really distracting, i think getting rid of the drop shadow and using a less obtrusive color may help you out.

keep it up, looking great.

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

aaarrghhh...

Wow, I'm really getting killed on my lineweights. Problem is, I agree with everybody.

*Sigh*

I guess that means I'm going to have to break out the crowquill and ink again. Messy and inconvenient, but I asked for opinions, so I will listen.

Thanks, all.

Check out my Sketchbook
    3D Stuff Models

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know the lineweight feeling. People really jump on that, don't they? (Correctly)

Think the beastie riders are fantastic, good concepts. They really seem... solid, if that's the word I'm looking for. Well grounded. Those "brush pen" things seem a bit less messy to me than the actual quill & ink. Uh, you can get them here Kuretake-Sumi-Brush-Pen. I only got one recently, so I'm still experimenting, but they're pretty convenient. Keep up the design work man, waiting to see more!

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey clayman, the comment you left on my SB means alot to me man. Greatly appreciate you stopping by and giving your thoughts. I want to improve, so much. My new SB will show more growth, i'll let you know when I start it. Keep it upp!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Once more, unto the breach...

So, here are some more characters that got a quick colour treatment. The two dudes are a team and the two ladies are a team. Unfortunatley I painted them on a monitor that had some really messed up colour values, leaving them all kind of washed out and off kilter. Bummer.
    Name:  basement Jack color 1.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  51.9 KB Name:  pumpkin-head-colours-p1.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  evil-chick-colour-1.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  27.5 KB Name:  evil chick #2 colour 1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  64.3 KB

Check out my Sketchbook
    3D Stuff Models

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much Awsome in one thread
    Love it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    really enjoy the pumpkin head hero.

i think your inking could use some refinement. Look at other inking artists (not just comic book artists) and see how they handle different line weights and hatching styles. Right now your inking seems very... confused and thin. As if you were looking at what other comic book artists do and are mimicing just the lines, but not the width or direction the lines should be showing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Devonian Gardens

A study of the Devonian Gardens in downtown Calgary, an indoor garden space.

Name:  devonian01 for post.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  285.7 KB

Check out my Sketchbook
    3D Stuff Models

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.