Sketchbook: To Infinity and Beyond

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

To Infinity and Beyond

Welcome to my sketchbook,

My name is Mathijs de Schipper and i am 17 years old. I am lurking this place for over 6 months now, today I finally found the courage to post here. The level of the artwork here is so high. I am currently in highschool and we are not getting much art lessons here, so everything is selfthought. I could make the most progress through reading comments in other sketchbooks and apply them on my work. I am working currently on my anatomy for my figure drawing and i love to do selfportraits

Mathijs//

Attached Images Attached Images                                    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, great studies, looks like you are off to a good start. I'm loving the self portrait drawings. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a good and long standing tradition, learning from doing self-portraits. There's no better example than the great man himself, Rembrandt. He produced many of them. Your work shows great promise, Weavel. Keep it up : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a nice start and it looks like you are putting in the work. Keep up with those anatomy studies and you'll see great improvement!

Great start to an SB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wisteria thanks, i am doing these selfportraits for over a long time now and i always see some progress so it is easy for me to keep doing these, the progress keeps me motivated

Hethabyr Rebrandt's work is a real inspiration for me, i loved his work when i vistited het Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.

BRINKMAN! Thanks, i have already done a lot of studies from Bridgeman and Loomis but it is never enough, i am going to concentrate me more on the feet, they are way behind on the rest.

And here are some drawings from today and yesterday. The figuredrawing is made with reference from characterdesigns.com. I also did a studie from Loomis and i revisited a portret i have done some months ago for a friend. It is looking way better now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those studies are looking really nice! just keep at it man

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    progress is good. i would suggest that you focus on the outline of the figure, and not the jibblets on the inside.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like this a lot very nice definition

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, nice work. good to see peoples work of the same age. studies are looking great, i can see improvment after every drawing. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    swordmaster_g Thanks for the advice i really appreciate it, yeah sometimes i get lost in my own drawing and focus to much on the shades. But i have to keep it simple and focus more on the shape of the figure.

Ignominious, Glory666 It is nice to see other young people around here your works inspire me also to keep drawing and make the progres

Steven W.

Here are my drawing from today, i decided to do some studies of the foot because they always look like hoofs in my drawings. I did some studies from Bridgeman and some foots from Loomis but he keeps it a bit simple. And the last sketches are my happy feet....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sketches from today

Again a selfportrait "en profil" this time, it was quite hard to get the portrait good looking. I have to practice more with en profil faces.
    And a figure drawing, this time i focused more on the outline then on the rendering and it went quite well.

And last but nog least my first digipaint ever, it took a lot of frustrated photoshop sessions but today i finally managed to get something decent out of my wacom tablet

Weavel//

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello and welcome! I'm also 17, soon to be 18. It's good to see you're drawing a lot, you have some really nice studies here! I would say so far your forte is value, you have a very good understanding of that. However your line work seems to be a little tense and not very varied in pressure, it seems to be going at the same roughness all around your stuff try to keep some parts looser, i think it will help. The digi piece is good, tho i think a darker background would have helped emphasise the rest of the colors you used. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, I'm loving your figure studies. Keep it up man!

I'm only 15 and would like some comments/critiques/tips so CHECK OUT MY SKETCHBOOK! Please =] http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117399

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am happy to see that your not only working from life, but studying Loomis(think I saw some of his figure poses there) and Bridgeman. Most people dont realize the power of study until its too late.

On a side note I think that you should start too do 10 figures from pure imagination a day, especially right after you've done some figure studies from reference. The first 10-20 feel like giving birth they are agonzing. Then eventually like an old lady thats preggers they just kinda slide out and you handle it like a champ. One last crit, try to mirror check your self portraits more often there are a few mistakes with size and proportion. When we first start its quality over quantity With life and refernence, and with imagination its the opposite.

Over all I am impressed with your progression and its very obvious. Keep doing it everyday and youll destroy everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to comment on the digital painting, and its awsum by the way just wanna give a few tips. Learn the colour wheel, its very helpful. Try an 'opposite' the colours.

For example orange is an opposite of blue and red is an opposite of green. When you use these colours in certain aspects of your painting, they play off each other, creating a better effect. So what you could do is slightly use a strong orange undercoat before you paint with the skin colour and a dark blue as a shadow. Just remember to never use black as a shade

Your work is definately improving, quickly i might add. I want to see some more of your digital painting as well. Remember, Im the same age as you so you dont have to take my advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reika Thanks for replying, yeah i have to varie my linework a bit more. It's a bit stiff. And i tried for my next digi stufy a darker background and the apple pops more out

ItalianHorsey Thnx

Genome Thanks for the usefull advice, i tried some figure's from my imagination and i see there are still gaps in my anatomy. This excercise was a real eyeopener for me. Now i know on which part of the body i have to practice a bit more.

Glory666 I tried with my apple the underpainting, and it went quite well. But i have a lot to learn in photoshop.

Today's study

I used Bumskee's digital painting tread for my apple today, it went quite well but it was quite hard not to eat the apple and quit the painting but i liked the result in the end and now i am going to eat that little bastard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches for this week

Here are my studie's from this week, and i tried to do as much poses without reference but they are all looking the same. They look more like puppets than humans of flesh and bones. Well i have to practice more i think

rawr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent studies man, bridgeman is an awesome tool. But i think you should focus on proportion before jumping to the shapes of muscles. Because the most basic proportion carries over the mental image of the figure much better than muscles that aren't in correct proportion. A sweet place to learn this is loomis ( i think i saw some of his stuff earlier in your thread) Start with figure drawing for all its worth, and do everypage. Then try some figures from imagination. watch yourself fllyyy.
    http://charlieharper.net/?page_id=9

Other than that, keep on keeping this up i see strong line confidence, and more evidence of form. Your gonna make it.

EDIT: oh also bro, throw that apple into PS and put it into gray scale, watch what happens. Value is colour, learn that first and you'll rule the world.

Last edited by Genome; February 18th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Genome Thanks for your comment, i have studied Loomis figure drawing for all its worth already for quite some time; you can see some parts from it if you scroll up, as for the proportions you are right. My proportions are a bit sloppy and i didn't pay enough attenion to it so i revisited that part of the book today and did some proportionstudy's and a loomis drawing

Weavel//

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see all these studies
    Dont forget to try and apply these to your personal drawings from time to time

Seeing all these studies makes me feel like I need to start doing some more haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JFierce thanks

Here's a wip of a master studie i am busy on. it really helps me to learn how to paint a hour and a half so far. It's painted after "Het meisje met de parel" from Johannes Vermeer (1665-1667)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the final image of the studie from "Het meisje met de parel" painted by Vermeer, i like the outcome of the image. it turned out really nice
    It took me about 3.5 hours.

Here is the reference i used Click

Enjoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick selfportret from today, the right eye is a bit weird i think it has to be a little bit to the left.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like your figure drawings~~~~keep up the good work!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uclamo1 Thanks

Mirror, Mirror on the wall..........

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, i dig your selfportraits, you do alot of those which is definitely a good thing and they're improving. i also like your hair, i wish mine would grow like that, but i got no curls goddamnit.

before doing master studies i'd suggest you learn a bit more about colors, otherwise it might be a little difficult to understand why the artist does certain things. check out the mentoring section, there's tons of material there, and for skintones, check out linda bergkvist's tutorials, they're great. http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery

apart from that, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    algenpfleger Thanks man, yeah i like my hair also but a i draw i hate it because it takes so much time to draw that much hair all the time with the curls, at that moments i wish i was bald. Thanks for the links, i will start as soon as i find some time with some color study´s. I don´t work so much in color so that will be hard in the begining.

Last week i didn´t had much time to draw, because of an exchange program with Pisa. Next week i am going there, i hope i can draw some buildings and some statue´s there . I did one selfportrait and i did a portrait of the Italian guy who stayed at my place. And the last piece is a schoolassignment i have to make a picture with "movement" in it. I have chosen for a guy who is falling down. I did the linework so far, tomorrow i am going to color it. Does anybody has a suggestion for the pose of my falling guy?

Weavel///

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quick color update..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last week i have been in Pisa for an exchange program, so i don't have very much sketches, only some pencil doodles i made while sitting in the train to Florence. And some whacky selfportrait of the last days. I also got my hands on a new "dynamic anatomy" book by Burne Hogarth so here are the first skeches + a random quick figuredrawing

Happy Easter!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A digi selfportrait of today..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.