Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Guidelines...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good mentoring thread. I have been following along with my own attempts. Need more exercises now!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    My work for the second assignment. My line always shaky, any tips??

Thanks
    quick question, is it ok to turn the paper to do the hatching? i´ve read somewhere it wasn´t recommended...
    hey sigit i find your lines pretty good, nice face also

Thanks
    thanks arkos. But I think my line still shaky and not smooth enough.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigit View Post
    thanks arkos. But I think my line still shaky and not smooth enough.
    ccsear' will probably have the answer. The way I do it is have the side of my hand planted firmly on the page; make sure the ink is dry underneath though! I use the natural curve of turn of my wrist to make my lines; from left to right with a right hand, just so that I can see the line I made while I make it. Also I hold my pen like I sketch, with the tube inbetween the forefinger and the middle finger; this allows my brain to turn off the logical side of writing and turns on the artistic side of drawing, but more important is it feels natural.

ccsears could I post my results? I do not known if you have mentees or just helping anyone who joins in.

Thanks
    Hey Rist, thanx for your tip. i´ll try to hold my hand like you say it might help me loosen up my lines. About posting, please do join, this is an open thread for anyone who is interested in it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 553 Posts
    Sorry about not keeping up guys, but work is very busy right now.

Rist Feel free to post your results here.

Arkos78 Sure, turn the paper if you need to. Do whatever's natural. When you learned to write in kindergarten or whatever, they didn't force you to keep your paper perpendicular to the sides of the table, did they?

Sigit If you're drawing the same size I suggested, your work is shaky because you're hitting the physical limit of your ability to hatch. This is very important to understand... when you are drawing construction lines, large rhythms, or anything that is using line as an outline or a shape, use whatever part of your body comes naturally. that generally means you move your elbow shoulder and wrist to make a big line, and your wrist and fingers to make a short line. BUT when you are hatching you more or less need to keep your wrist still on the paper and use your fingers to draw many repeating parallel lines. the physical limit of your ability to do this is somewhere between 1.5 to 2 cm (0.5 to 1.0 inches).

think of it this way... it is difficult to draw a 10" long straight line. it will be next to f'ing impossible for you to get 50 straight lines and maintain an even space in between them so you can use them as hatching.

therefore, it is incredibly important that you come up with a strategy for covering a large shape with an even tone. This is very difficult, but there are many strategies you can choose from. If you are not using ballpoint pen, you need to realize that you will be hatching in small patches roughly 3/4 inch big. you can choose to make these patches follow the contours and planes of the form, you can choose a random pattern (like i did in most of these exercises) or you can choose to keep them as parallel as possible. But you need to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the strategy you choose, and adapt to them.

In Sigit's last post, you see a very parallel type approach--different than what I chose to do in many of the beginning exercises. When you use this approach, be very careful with the beginnings and endings of your lines--if they cross other hatching lines you've already laid down, they may inadvertantly cause dark splotches to creep into your work. the bottom line is to use your own eyes and see if the overall tone is even. if you think it is splocthy or irregular, then you need to adjust your technique or strategy.

To do that, turning your paper may be necessary. BUT, i suggest turning your paper for hatching only--AFTER you've done your correct line drawing.

please notice what i said on Sigit's value scale. when you go towards the light side of the scale, it starts to look more like stripes and less like an even tone. when the gap between your line is 20 times the thickness of your line, YOU CAN NOT USE THAT LINE IN THAT SITUATION TO MEAN TONE. it will automatically read as OUTLINE or DETAIL.

that is the underlying reason pen and ink work is difficult. either you learn to leave certain areas blank, or you learn that your lightest tone (besides blank paper) is somewhere around 50% black line and 50% white gap. THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND AND IT AFFECTS EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO HATCH. if you don't understand this point, please ask me a question here before we go on to new exercises.

thanks,
    chris

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts

Exercise II

Thanks again for your time, Sir.

Made a big mess of the face. Hard to decide exactly which style of hatching to use in which areas.
    Not mention I made the forbidden error of spacing too widely the hatching on the cheek.

Thanks
    ccsears can you give me example in hatching 2 values before light?

Thanks
    Cool thread!
    I did some of the exercises, but - I clearly don't have a clue what Im doing when Im trying to hatch these goddamned faces...

Attachment 350854Attachment 350855

Attachment 350856Attachment 350857

Attachment 350858Attachment 350859

Attachment 350860

I tried different tools for the faces. It seems that my sharpie (last pic) is way too wide, while ballpoint pen and gel pen "break" a line a lot, and make splotches...
    Maybe I should go buy something better...

Attachment 350861

Attachment 350862

Attachment 350863

Any crits&comments are welcome!

Thanks
    Man, wish i found d tread earlier.. Struggling with hatching n stuffs.. Thanks for this thread.. Could i post my exercises that i've done here?
    -Take my LIFE away, and give me my inspiration.. Let my own life fades, but may my drawing skill improve.. I want them all, but i can't be greedy.. I must choose, so i choose you.. My art n Inspiration,GOD-

Symphony of Inspiration

Thanks
    hello everybody,

sorry i haven't been able to keep up with this thread for a while. i've had major life changes to deal with--quitting a job, moving into a new apartment, getting new jobs, painting portraits, etc. i think i will be able to start replying to your posts soon--probably in a week or two. i have one family gathering i need to attend out of state.

anyway, everyone is free to post what they've done for the exercises. the guidelines are up there on the first page and it's all common sense. i.e. don't put oil paintings in with the pen and ink work.

will write more soon, i hope.
    ccs

Thanks
    Cool to hear your coming back! looking forward for the next painful assignment

Thanks

2008-07-03 Some thoughts before I resume...

So here are a few ideas/principles to think about. Maybe it's best if we just start back up by having you guys ask a few questions about what I've drawn on this page and what it means. Then I can pick up and figure out a good direction to proceed.

Attachment 405433

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here comes my contribution to the first exercise
    I used a Pilot VBall Grip 05
    Conclusions of pen: High flow of ink, very hard to do pressure and thin lines, pretty expencive pen 4 euros, i tried a
    b-7 Uchida tokyo/japan ballpointpen aswell and it had a lower flow of ink which made shading and line width easier but a little less quality on the ink.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast