Open Figure Drawing Session
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Open Figure Drawing Session

Hey everyone,
    I just found out after looking forever that there is an open figure drawing session at a community college nearby. I want to go but have never attended one before... I therefore have a few questions.

Mainly, what should I bring?! I mean... would I be ok if I just brought a sketchbook and a pencil? Should I expect other people to have the same or is everyone going to have those huge pads of paper (not that it really matters what other people have)? I dunno, anything at all I need to know about these things? Will I have a surface to rest my sketchbook on or do I need to bring some sort of drawing board?

Thanks guys!
    -Life

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well all those things depend on what the studio has available. They "should" have chairs, tables, and easels... but you never know. Just for your first class, I say be prepared. Bring a drawing board, a variety of pencils and such, plus whatever paper you want to work on. A lot of times they say to use newsprint pads because they're big and cheap.

But ABOVE all, stop worrying about it and just go! It's only the first class you won't know what to bring... for the second class, you'll be fine.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can tell you what we have in our college. Drawing benches, stools, tables, some masonite drawing boards. In general when figure drawing is open it's find a place you can draw comfortably, first come, first serve. Some people use sketchbooks, some 19 x 24 paper, Some people paint on a variety of canvases.

Like Throm said. Just go. Bring whatever you want to draw on, drawing implements and if you need a board you might want to bring that because I know we sometimes run out. It just depends.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People use whatever they're comfortable with. I had a guy who'd bring in wet clay and model the long positions! Personally, I go with large pad of newsprint and charcol (it keeps you fluid and big...more empathsis on the figure, less on the details).

I've done open sessions at three different places--Community center had easels and stools, university had benches and masonite, art college had drafting desks and stools in one building and just stools in the other.

One other thing to mention -- dress in layers if you live somewhere it's cold because you want to be able to strip down to a t-shirt if possible. They keep those rooms at sauna-level for the models and you don't want to be distracted by sweat rolling down your back while trying to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks you guys!

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.