Sketchbook: Xinleh wants to improve veryvery much. | Daily documenting my progress (crit me?)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Xinleh wants to improve veryvery much. | Daily documenting my progress (crit me?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Xinleh wants to improve veryvery much. | Daily documenting my progress (crit me?)

Hello everyone This thread is going stale -- time I edit it!

My name is Xinlin, and my main goal in life is to draw like a pro. My other goal is to be an illustrator, and I'm training myself to be versatile in both traditional and digital medium. As of hand, I'm crap at everything and versatile in nothing, which just means I have to work harder. I'm from Asia, in a country where the art scene is just starting to develop. I have many friends who like to draw, but fewer than few are intent on improving themselves. My dream is to go to an art school, but signing up as an international student is way beyond my financial means.

HENCE. Because there are too few people in RL who can give me serious crits on my work, I've decided to start my own CA sketchbook to document my progress. You guys do amazing stuff, and are INSANELY hardworking, and I'm really humbled (as well as spurred on) by the awesome artists to be found on this site.

So here's the deal:

I will paint one picture a day - no matter how busy I am. RL right now is a killer, and this is the only way to pace myself, so that I will not tomorrow forget the new things I learnt today.

If I miss a day, I will make it up the next day. And so on.

Like everyone else on the site, I am keen on improving myself, so if anyone could crit my works that would be so awesome. I will worship you on an altar, shower you with grapes, PROMISE.

NOTE: NEWER STUFF AT THE LAST PAGE.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by xinleh; September 5th, 2008 at 12:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more sketches

more~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one of the main problems i realise about my stuff is that the lines are too sketchy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more!

and my charcoal drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's all! will post more later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool studies! Welcome to CA Xinleeeh! Nice proportions on the figures, keep refining those. Yeah the lines are sketchy. Try to remember what you're line is doing, and what you're trying to do with the line from point touch to lift off. I like the boy in the underwear.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Matsign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matsign -- My first commenter! Thank you Hehe, the boy's actually my 11-year-old brother who was sleeping, so I snuck in a couple of sketches. XD

and I'll take note of your suggestion. I guess sketchy lines come from a serious lack of experience, because I'm only able to visualise where things are going after a couple of attempts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ref taken from here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh, I'm horrible at watercolours. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some stuff done a couple of weeks ago...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a watercolour piece I messed around with in 2006...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! I'm new here to. Iv heard it said before that thin lineart is good for getting shapes down - so you dont overdo and trick yourself into thinkings it good. I like the village but maybe you should do some perspective. Good stuff, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SugarFex -- thank you for your encouragement! I definitely think I should check out perspective too. Do you have any recommendations on some good books I could borrow/buy? I'm pretty neglected in that area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should check out the Andrew Loomis books. They cover a wide range of topics from figure drawing to composition. Fantastic stuff really, and oh so available. There's a good perspective primer in there too.

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

Your figures are looking good, proportion is pretty much there. Keep it up with the practice!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Randomself For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Randomself-- Thank you so much for the link! I am downloading now, they look awesome. O_O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doing a lot in the past few days. Now I will have to pay for my laziness by scanning them all in.

Some anatomy sketches. What I need now: quick 60 second sketches to familiarise myself. And a nice, fat anatomy book... XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more!

Moree... I think I'll post the rest tomorrow.

(The woman in one of them looks like she's got Teh Finger out. Eheh. O_O)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kinda feel like I'm talking to myself but there one goes... XD

with charcoal, and graphite for details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more

more...

Really not so good at either hands or charcoal. D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A practice I did to understand shading and shadows. Traced out my own hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here, I feel like I'm finally starting to understand hands a little. =D Will work more on them today.

If anyone is reading my thread at all, a little comment/crit would be nice. ^^;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mm, and because I'm keeping track of my progress, a little self-crit.

Anatomy-wise: I think I'll begin some 60 sec anatomy sketches, because I clearly do not understand how anatomy works with the 10 mins sketches I'm currently working with.

Hands-wise: Maybe I'll work on some quick 30s-60s sketches also, to get the 'feel' of the bone structure, as well as read up on some anatomy books. (same goes for the human body.)

As for lines and shapes, I'm lacking the basic understanding of the ones that form each of my drawing, and my lines lack in fluidity and solidity.

I think that I also have to work more quickly with the time I have (quick sketches v effective) and set myself a stricter quota.

Right, ok! I probably sound really silly talking to myself but I'll post more when I think about it. It's good to take notes and review your progress. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, things seem to be going well with your figure drawings.. hands look good too, been drawing loads of them lately as well..

Another book that's helped me tons is Walt Stanchfield's Gesture Drawing for Animation. http://www.fatkat.ca/POST/GESTUREDRA...IMATION-V1.pdf

Basically through concentrating on the gesture or pose of a character first, and seeing the drawing as a whole rather than zooming in on detailed parts, its possible to get much more fluid and dynamic figures. Its also possible to correct proportion errors early. It also helps with having more confident lines cause especially for faster gesture drawings, say 30secs, you don't have to worry as much about proportion and can really put down firm and flowing strokes to define the flow of the figure, then in the refinement of the drawing adjust the proportion while keeping the bold clarity of the initial strokes..

Lol.. I hope I'm not babbling to much abstract stuff or whatever.. anyway it's good that you're really analysing your progress, and the mistakes you make in each drawing.. with that mindset, you'll definately keep improving at a good pace..

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Randomself For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xin, its all looking good. I like the direction the gesture are heading. Just keep moving that pencil! I've got you subscribed too!

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Randomself -- I'm so sorry for the late reply. Thank you SO much for the ebook and suggestions. They have helped me tremendously in the past week. And no, you're definitely NOT blabbering too much about abstract stuff. In fact, I love abstract! It makes me feel all... profound and awesome, hehe. XD

Mat -- Yay, that's awesome! Hope you update soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I am terribly guilty for not updating in the past 10 days, and I'm punishing myself by scanning my sketchbook which I've completed about 30 pages. School and RL have been insanely busy, but I have no excuse really, and wish I'd done more. But not to bore or spam anyone, I'll just scan in the gist. XD Cause I'm lazy too, but let's forget I ever said that.

These are the quick hand sketches I promise myself I'd do. I don't think I'm very fluent at drawing open palms, and I seem to have a problem with the structure. But of course, that can be fixed with studying its anatomy and bone structure, which I did the next day and done a sketch of, but I don't think it's worth showing. XD

I'd love if anyone could recommend me some anatomy books either on hands or on bodies. I've checked up the bookstore but their collection is rather limited.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is something I'm really proud of, even though it's comparatively not as good as the pros.

I did the first sketch in school, and screwed up pathetically. The second was done at home, after a few suggestions from friends & family and my own observations, and it seems much, much better. It still doesn't look like the model, but at least it looks more... human.

You know what they say, when double checking the accuracy of your sketches, reverse the image in the mirror. I did that, and discovered with a horrified scream (not really) that her face shape was too narrow, and her eyes a bit odd. Also, her arm looks like it has got a piece of protruding flesh. Eheh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's all I'm posting for now. My other sketches are pretty meaningless and not worth uploading. As for another round of self-crit and goal-setting, here's what i hope to achieve in the next week:

Next week will be pretty busy and I don't suppose I'll have much time to draw, so...
    quick sketches of anatomy: 20
    quick sketches of perspective/room: 10

and a few charcoal drawings here & there if I can sneak it in...

As for what my problems are, I'd say understanding strokes and fluidity, as well being too 'safe' in my drawings. And hence, I wanna start experimenting with different art styles and techniques, as well as look into different artists. (I really like ukiyo-e & japanese prints...) I wanna start working on my own projects too, and not just mindless practising, so look forward to them, um, whoever's reading this? XD

Also, does anyone have any rec on lighting/composition books? Or colour theory?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful studies, keep 'em coming. If you still feel that some of your lines look too sketchy, just imagine that each line you draw will cost you ten euros; and you don't want to become poor, so you'll have to force yourself to use as few lines as possible

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.