Currently reading. - Page 17

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Currently reading all of the art marketing books by Jack White. I love them. Nice easy reading style and he has a lot of good points for selling artwork.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoppes View Post
    Currently reading all of the art marketing books by Jack White. I love them. Nice easy reading style and he has a lot of good points for selling artwork.
    Glad I googled that first, I was thinking 'White Stripes' Jack White lol, would have looked a right wally. Thanks, I'm going to check that book out now, I really need marketing advice.

littlebones That's what my Dad said, he read the first book when it came out and said he was meaning to read the second two but never got round to it. I have highly recommended reading all three to him and I would to you as well, you don't really understand the scope of the story until you get to the end of the third book then it all falls into place and it is really satisfying. Frank Herbert does write in a complicated way sometimes, very technical and a bit emotionless but maybe that was intentional, I found it easy enough to follow.

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; August 24th, 2011 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Angel... if you have an iPad, I was able to get the books from the apple store at $10 per book. Also, you can download the sample so that you can get an idea of what's in the books (the download provides the first 50 pages or so).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Hoppes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The left hand of god by Paul Hoffman.
    It´s pretty good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    littlebones That's what my Dad said, he read the first book when it came out and said he was meaning to read the second two but never got round to it. I have highly recommended reading all three to him and I would to you as well, you don't really understand the scope of the story until you get to the end of the third book then it all falls into place and it is really satisfying. Frank Herbert does write in a complicated way sometimes, very technical and a bit emotionless but maybe that was intentional, I found it easy enough to follow.
    Looks like I've got some of my autumn reading list planned out for me, then.

Quote Originally Posted by emilywhaaat
    I just finished reading The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. You guys should read them, too.
    Totally did, really really loved them, and I don't usually read Young Adult fiction because 99% of the time it's, "16 Year Old Girl X wakes up in a post-apocalyptic civilization and she has TWO dreamy boys to choose from! Which dreamy boy will she choose?!" Whereas The Hunger Games is more like, "Katniss Everdeen lives in a post-apocalyptic civilization and has way more pressing shit to worry about than the TWO dreamy boys who get in the way of her feeding and defending her family! Which Hunger Games contestant will she shoot in the face with an arrow?!"

Currently I'm reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and ho-ho-hoooly shit, it's really good. I don't think that what he's going for could easily be pulled off by anybody else.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

8. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gurney's "Imaginative Realism"

GEEZ! That guy does EVERYTHING! (for those who have not had the pleasure of peeking inside this amazing book, not only does he research his paintings with photos, live models, costumes, character maquettes and sketches, but he also draws up the architecture and floorplans of the buildings, and makes sculptures of the cities for light reference!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just finished "The Naked Sun" by Asmiov. I'm usually a fantasy sort of girl, so I'm trying to expand my science-fiction repertoire.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,534 Times in 3,725 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bitjockey View Post
    I just finished "The Naked Sun" by Asmiov. I'm usually a fantasy sort of girl, so I'm trying to expand my science-fiction repertoire.
    You really need to read the early Asimov stuff first and then see how he brings two different tales into one. Love his stuff - so readable and logical.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My to read pile is currently a lot bigger than the pile I've read, mainly because I keep buying hoards of books from charity shops... currently I'm reading Jude The Obscure by Thomas Hardy. After studying extracts from it in my English Literature class, I had to hunt down the book!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    You really need to read the early Asimov stuff first and then see how he brings two different tales into one. Love his stuff - so readable and logical.
    I actually started with the Foundation stuff (years ago) because I got those as a gift. This time around I started with "I, Robot" and am working my way towards the newer stuff. So far, I'm loving every word. Have I missed anything I should stop and read before continuing?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,373 Times in 1,128 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Awynt View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones). I am thoroughly enjoying it! It is long and detailed but gripping, IMO.
    Ditto. I started reading after the TV show (had to wait 'til after), rattled right through the next three volumes, and I've jumped into the first few chapters of A Feast for Crows. It's like literary crack. As an incurable LotR fanboy, I have to say ASIF is right up there with it.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Right now I'm reading Spook by Mary Roach. I now know more than I really wanted to about where spirit mediums used to hide cheesecloth and the theoretical mass of a dog's soul.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I recently started Great Gatsby, Tom is pretty funny.

Today I picked up A Great Depression analysis by Micheal A. Bernstein.

Unfortunately it's used and the last owner marked up parts of the book (I guess they were using it for a report or something) but it's got charts and stuff, so it's worth it. I'll read it soon.

Last edited by Psychotime; September 27th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am currently reading The Tale of The Body Thief by Anne Rice. It's a part of the vampie chronicles, along with queen of the damned and interview with a vampire. I just recently bought all the books to this series, so my reading list for the near future is packed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm re-reading Tolkein's The Hobbit to prep myself for the movies. I first read it when I was... I don't know, maybe 7 or 8? It's a lovely little book. I may re-read The Silmarillion too because supposedly a lot of that stuff will be in the movies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Managed to get my hands on a copy of Norman Rockwell's My Adventures as an Illustrator.

And I'm listening to the audiobook version of Deceived while I work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just Finished:
    Goliath, by Scott Westerfield (Book 3 of the Leviathan trilogy): YA alternate-history fantasy, World War 1 retold as a battle between "Clanker" nations (Germany, Austria, etc.) who favor dieselpunk machinery and the "Darwinists" (Britain, France, Russia, etc.) who use fabricated life-forms. A fun conclusion to a good series, with plenty of imagination and an old-school adventure flair.

Now Reading:
    Larklight, by Philip Reeve: YA alt-history fantasy, set in a Victorian Space Age. Wonderfully imaginative setting, but I'm finding the characters irritating. The ink illustrations are fun, at least.

King Solomon's Mines, by H. Rider Haggard: Classic adventure tale, which was free for Kindle. Just started it, really, so I can't venture much of an opinion.

I'm also rereading the Animorphs series (K. A. Applegate), because Scholastic's re-releasing them and I've been meaning to review the individual books on my book review website for ages. Just hit Book 24. They read fast, and they're fun.

-----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,373 Times in 1,128 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dark Tower. I'm currently on the last book, looking forward to the conclusion!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read three books at a time; one is a classic / well known book, one is a recommendation from a friend, teacher, relative, etc, the last one is my own choice for when I go to sleep :F
    Just finished:
    Catch 22
    Flashman at the charge
    Blood pact - Dan Abnett (cos I'm a nerd)
    Reading:
    Catcher in the rye (like 2 pages left)
    Flashman and the tiger
    Ravenor - Dan Abnett (cos I'm still a nerd)

My dad recommended Flashman and I'm glad he did, it's hilarious

I'm also psyching myself up for another attempt at war and peace, but its difficult to start because the first 200 pages are just russian politics, I was on holiday when I last tried it and left it on some beach somewhere, jeez, I hate beaches.

Last edited by Barefoot; October 11th, 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished American Gods and Ansansi Boys by Neil Gaiman...he's my new literary hero So witty and dark.

I like this thread, I've a nice list of reading to keep me going til next year, especially Norman Rockwell's book!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco !

its a great book :B

and I just finished Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

MY_SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I generally tend to read so fast that I never get to post this thread, but currently I'm reading through both Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw and New Mutants Classics 1-6 which will take a day or two for me.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    New Mutants Classics 1-6 which will take a day or two for me.
    I yapped about this on the Comics thread a bit, but man oh man X-Men is so convoluted and was so over-saturated in it's heyday that I can't even fathom where I could start.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't even get turned away from long continuity or just long comic series. I do read mainstream superhero comics from time to time. I read One Piece (it's starting to get really bleh right now, but it was a great ride up to that point) But the X-Men is a huge exception. SO many characters, SO many simultaneous stories, it breaks my own limits as to what I could stand. X-Men is a universe on it's own.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 17th, 2011 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I yapped about this on the Comics thread a bit, but man oh man X-Men is so convoluted and was so over-saturated in it's heyday that I can't even fathom where I could start.
    This is probably why I like the New Mutants. Because there's fairly little anything X-Men related in the series outside couple recurring characters (like professor X) and few shared villains. And they're very neatly in their own collections.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm actually reading many books now that I think of it. My attention is currently stretched between Siddhartha, Catch-22, Kafka on the Shore, and Figure Drawing Design and Invention. I just switch between them a lot, I'm not some super reader or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Game of Thrones

Anyone know good books that really flesh out a scifi world / setting? I'm obsessed with scifi worlds

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Game of Thrones

Anyone know good books that really flesh out a scifi world / setting? I'm obsessed with scifi worlds

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for. But the latest sci-fi book I read and loved was House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds. It deals with a load of interesting stuff like cloning, interstellar travel, eternal life and faster than light travel and so on. My only little issue with it is that I find the idea that humanity is the only (well, kinda, but I won't spoil it more than that... ) intelligent being in the universe kinda absurd. But then again I figure that idea is worth exploring as well. And since it takes place so far into the future there are lots of evolutionary branches that has taken off from humanity so there are a bunch of different interesting species in it as well. And yeah, the story itself is rather charming and well written as well.

But if you're looking for more of a bigger world with lots of different alien species and secrets and mythologies etc. I'd recommend the Uplift books by David Brin. They're just really good adventure books and also contain some interesting conepts, mostly concerning evolution. The story is basically that all species in the galaxy were 'brought up' by a previous species, except for humanity, who somehow seem to have evolved into intelligence on their own. This causes a huge uproar among the other species of the galaxy because it's simply unthinkable. And the fact that humanity themselves have allready "uplifted" chimpanzees and dolphins without having achieved the status that allows them to do so just makes things worse.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

36. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4