Little red Riding Hood

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Little red Riding Hood

Well here is a project that I am doing for a Visual development class involving Little Red Riding Hood. I decided to take a macabre stance and throw in some nightmarish elements by adapting the original story with one of my favorite twilight zone episodes "Nothing in the Dark."

For those of you who are not super geeks like myself, the premise of the episode was an old woman keeps herself shut in her house and lets no one in because she is afraid they will be "Mr. death" and kill her. She breaks her rule to help a wounded policeman (who happens to be played by a very young heartthrob Robert Redford). She takes care of the policeman and befriends him, and she soon figures out through a series of events that the policeman in fact is death and that really there was nothing to be afraid of.

Well The grandmother in my version of LRRH (little red riding hood) will be much the same a worn old woman clinging to the opulence of her faded youth. Her home on the outside will be weathered and decrepit, but on the inside will be very normal and pristine. Also the story will change where the wolf character is a "Mr. Death" and uses Little red as a catalyst to get to the grandmother finally.

Anyway, here are my blue sketches and some reference images I referred to when trying to tie together my themes. Do enjoy. Any comments, ideas, criticisms, or just idle chat is always adored.

Little red Riding Hood

~cheers!

"Please sit down, stay awhile" My current threads:

Character Mood

--

行く手の風がある日に
    Yukute no kaze ga aru hi ni

Come visit me in my own personal hell!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The idea is cool!

I don't really understand your concepts. It looks like you haven't really settled on one design yet, so it's hard to tell what direction your going in.

I'm also not sure why you chose to present it the way you have (with the smaller drawings and the small reference pictures.)

I thing your idea is great, I'd just work on getting it alittle more flushed out and clearly presented.

Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Up at this stage things are still in the air. these are simply blue sketches (i.e. ideas that just come out of my head down onto paper. Your words and enthusiasm gives me strength to continue on.

Next I will be doing some simple story beat black and white thumbnails. So keep posted for that.

Character Mood

--

行く手の風がある日に

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to see the sketches up close, can't really see that much, but then again the details aren't important at this stage.
    I don't quite get, how little red riding hood fits in to the story, but the general plot sounds interesting or to be more precise I find the idea of a mister death cool and it makes me curious.
    I like the sketches of little red and mr. death, though mr. death has a lot of potential for more. the picture that just flashed in my mind was of the main devil (not malebolgia, the other dude) in spawn I don't know if your familiar with it.
    the grandmother seems a bit to stereotype for this kind of story. I'd make her a bit more excentric to match the rest of the cast.

I'm quite curious what becomes of this project, keep it up

the compulsive imagemaker

"sticking feathers up your ass doesn't make you a chicken"

my sketchbook-thread

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satori For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you would like them go ahead and PM me or e-mail and I will see about sending them to you.

The idea was making Red Riding Hood the catalyst that death uses. I have this great story beat in mind of after red leaves death it turns into a decayed goth version of Little red and thats how it tricks grandma into letting it in.

As for your thoughts on grandmother, your absolutely right. I may make her look a bit less opulent and really starting to decay but fighting it. We will see where my pen leads me I guess. Next i am working on story beat thumbnails for this and will be posting them later. Stay tuned.

Character Mood

--

行く手の風がある日に

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very very cool stuff Pes. I agree with everything that has been spoken so far, but I am still a bit iffy on the Mr. Death character. You are blending two stories here, one very well known, the other not so well known. The drastic change (and some would argue removal) of the "wolf" kind of makes LRRH a bit vague. In fact, just looking at the sketches you have, I would not have deduced that this was a LRRH take off unless you had explained it.

My suggestion? Re-work this Death character to give him some wolfish attributes. He doesn't have to be a monster or anything, but something to show that he is still half LRRH and and not all Twilight Zone. I don't know exactly the look you are trying to get with him (refined, spooky, gruesome, etc), so I leave that up to you.

You rule Pes!

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The point was to take it as a "figurative wolf." I will take what you have said to heart though. Maybe a little feature here and there but nothing too descriptive. I have not gone to the full character design stage so nothing is set in stone yet. Thanks for your thoughts ^^

Character Mood

--

行く手の風がある日に

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.