Hello there, looking for critique on digital work

View testimonialsView Artwork
    with relatives, in good ole' Minnesota :)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here is my favorite and best digital art that I've done so far, started and finished in photoshop, drawn with a mouse. Some imperfections have been noticed by friends(like the wrist) but I wanted some thorough input from you guys. So here I am! ^_^

critique away!!!

"You can get bitter or you can get better. You decide."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to CA.

just a minor thing that'de be easy to adjust is the sense of depth through light. as the woods receed into space they don't really get darker like they should. i think it'd help the viewer stay focused in the foreground if the woods got darker. in painting highlights tend to come forward, and darks tend to go back in space.

also a quick tip is to periodically make your image black and white to see the tonal range of values. you really dont have any dark areas, making the overall piece feel washed out (which isnt always a bad thing). having some sense of strong contrast would make the highlights seem all the more bright and important.

if youre really ambitious to get this thing rolling, i'd do a search here on CA for 'atmospheric perspective', theres some great threads by people far smarter than myself on how to create convincing environments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe the weakest point of it lies in the 'White'.
    Highlights coming from the top, white fairy dust on the butterflies, highlights on the trees, on the girl.
    Everything is too clear and white, it hurts the eye a little actually.

You should put more mid-tones there, keep the 'white' to a minimum, and put some 'dark' areas, this way it gives more contrast and make things stand out a little more.

Other than that, i believe you should try to run away from the 'overly smooth' feeling that the digital medium can give. Try to use some custom brushes and dont 'blur/smudge/smooth' things too much. Put some 'extremes', some radical value changes. This way things will look more natural and less plastic.

And most of the 'objects' don't seen to relate to each other. The girl and the tree, the trees and the grass, the girl body and her shirt, the hair and her head. They all seem like different elements put together, not part of each other.

All in all, nice to see someone else playing with the mouse too.
    Keep it up.

with relatives, in good ole' Minnesota :)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you guys! Wow just two critiques and my mind is already reeling with the possibilities @.@. I had wondered before, but now I know: I definitely want to redo this >:3

Keep 'em coming

(I actually made this almost exactly a year ago for a scholarship contest (won 2k, yay for me), but when I looked back on it not long ago I was like "oy..this could use some updating ^^;" (I think you all know that feeling...right after it's done you're all like "WOW TIS BOOTIFUL!" but then later you look at it and cringe slightly xD) So thanks again for the advice)

"You can get bitter or you can get better. You decide."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do enjoy your style, but yes some issues with depth and how the trees look cutout. (though that may be part of the wanted style). One quick way to see that is noticing the trees in the far back, they should have way less light on them unless it is really really sunny out and they are spaced far apart, which would then lower their detail immensely.
    More contrast would be nice and work with making things fit together, sort of blending them in so everything doesn't look like a cutout, like her shirt on her body.
    Great concept!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.