my first digital work and publish here

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: how is it for a first work

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • good

2 16.67%
  • exellent

0 0%
  • suck

1 8.33%
  • nice

9 75.00%

Thread: my first digital work and publish here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face my first digital work and publish here

ive just started using painter x and im steel arookie but um huping to get bether

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha nice one
    keep at it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hmm you're probably expecting a handful of dead baby jokes from me right now... but ehh too much effort.

lets talk about color instead. notably how you have a clean animated ( i mean that as both animation-~esque and radiant) representation of the form. but is pretty flat and dull. the environment seems like a kitschy scene of predictable forms and color. its not integrating into the relationship of the foreground and figure. im sure you did the line work, and thought, 'i cant color this unless there's some background it'll look empty just floating in air" so you whipped up some icon heavy background.

i dont know what im rambling about, do more studies of representational and accurate practices of color behavior on surfaces and the hidden hues of highlights and shadows. set up a still life of only white objects. eggs and a tea-cup with a feather, something simple. really pay attention to the color in the white, there's a whole world of subtle shifts and changes that you're glancing right over. if you pay attention to these nuances they'll pay off in your treatment of color in whatever stylization you implement your art into.

Last edited by Grief; February 7th, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    hmm you're probably expecting a handful of dead baby jokes from me right now... but ehh too much effort.

lets talk about color instead. notably how you have a clean animated ( i mean that as both animation-~esque and radiant) representation of the form. but is pretty flat and dull. the environment seems like a kitschy scene of predictable forms and color. its not integrating into the relationship of the foregrounf and figure. im sure you did the line work, and thought, 'i cant color this unless there's some background it'll look empty just floating in air" so you whipped up some icon heavy background.

i dont know what im rambling about, do more studies of representational and accurate practices of color behavior on surfaces and the hidden hues of highlights and shadows. set up a still life of only white objects. eggs and a tea-cup with a feather, something simple. really pay attention to the color in the white, there's a whole world of subtle shifts and changes that you're glancing right over. if you pay attention to these nuances they'll pay off in your treatment of color in whatever stylization you implement your art into.

dude thats alot honestlly i didnt understant most of what you written but yuo must understend that its my first work with digital colors ,and yes i have alot to learn ebout colors but its turned out nice for afirst time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    being a rookie myself, you did a lot better than i did on my first digital. and considering most of griefs work ( im saying this respectfully, hes better than i am with all that art lingo .. composition..etc etc.. )is 3-4 colors, his work pencil, paint etc, imo, are flat and dull as well. But try useing complementary colors on the skin and grass, it helps to add depth. when you think something is done, walk away for an hour n come back to it. youll see things you didnt before with fresh eyes. i wanna see more! undead babies ftw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by XCNTNLX View Post
    being a rookie myself, you did a lot better than i did on my first digital. and considering most of griefs work ( im saying this respectfully, hes better than i am with all that art lingo .. composition..etc etc.. )is 3-4 colors, his work pencil, paint etc, imo, are flat and dull as well. But try useing complementary colors on the skin and grass, it helps to add depth. when you think something is done, walk away for an hour n come back to it. youll see things you didnt before with fresh eyes. i wanna see more! undead babies ftw!
    hanks man ..you i can understand )))
    yeaaa man il use what youre edvise ..but i stell not fully understand the painter x program im learning somthing evry day

Thanks
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by XCNTNLX View Post
    being a rookie myself, you did a lot better than i did on my first digital. and considering most of griefs work ( im saying this respectfully, hes better than i am with all that art lingo .. composition..etc etc.. )is 3-4 colors, his work pencil, paint etc, imo, are flat and dull as well.
    whoa whoa whoa, leave my work out of this. drop me a line on my sketchbook and i'd be more than happy to explain what i do. but don't discredit another person's suggestions because you don't feel their work is exhibiting the same advise as they preach.

i'll reword my previous post into a more simple translation:

learn to see color. it doesnt matter if you're using a digital application or traditional oil/acrylic/watercolor paint. i was trying to explain that i didnt feel the background was working with the figure. i'd like to see more color from the background brought onto the figure to make it feel more cohesive. right now they feel seperate.

the second point i made was to use more color in your shadows and highlights. do not use black. using black is a bad habit to rely on. i suggested setting up a still-life of simple objects so that you could study firsthand the ojects and see the color. working from life is the best way to learn to see. inventing (stylized) figures and working from photographs are all based from the pricnciples you'll learn from drawing from life. i know it's not as much fun as coloring your line-art illustrations, and you may wonder why it seems everyone starts with drawing fruit, but there's a very good reason for it. if you want to learn to paint more effectively and utilize stroke, edge, color, contour, volume, etc. you should start with studies from life.

visit the Painter subforum on the main page, if you have any technical questions about using the application, that's where you'll go to ask and find your answer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's a nice, fun illustration. Don't ignore Grief's advice, though.
    Is it "Braindead" (aka "Dead Alive") inspired perhaps?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    grief gtfo and leave this to me, ur such a noob

(OBVIOUSLY kidding )

Just stopped in top reiterate the problem; the item doesn't fit with the bg OR the lighting, simple as that. Listen to what Grief says.

Honestly, I've gotten great crits from people who were less skilled than me. Accept critiques when they're valid. You figure out which are and which aren't by sticking around and recieving tons of them.

Welcome to CA. Expect more of the same.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jinok View Post
    dude thats alot honestlly i didnt understant most of what you written but yuo must understend that its my first work with digital colors ,and yes i have alot to learn ebout colors but its turned out nice for afirst time
    I believe you will find this place:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143
    Better to post your works then.

No matter if this is your first or last time, people will give you critiques. Why? because on CA we don't focus about how good you we are, we focus in how much can we improve.
    And all in all, if you read what he said, with more attention than you use when write, i believe you'll learn lots of good things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, how long did it take?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thenks for the comments guys il take it in maind .
    grief i didnt mean to discredit you or somthing i lithrelly didnt understand you and il use what yoused ebout still art

and belive me guys i take evry comment to attention and try to learn from it

the overoll work took me ebout 4 hours

Currently residing in Michigan, but I have Maine maple syrup running through my veins.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a pretty good first post. It's hard to critique someone like this, because it's hard to gauge what is the most important thing to comment on, and what advice you'd find most valuable. That being said, there are things that you can keep in mind that would improve what you've got here, and not require you to rewire your style.

1- LINE QUALITY: the character is cool. I like the design, but your line quality is holding it back a little. Black linework flattens an image, stripping it of the form that you have created with your values and color. Consider using colored linework. For the skin, chose a color that is darker or lighter than the character, but part of the same color family. Look at some cartoons and see how they're using line color to convey an object's borders, and help it pop.

2- BACKGROUND: The flat sky in the BG doesn't help give a sense of depth or atmosphere. In a graveyard? Where's the fog, mist, atmospheric haze? The character pops out due to it being brighter and warmer, but you can do a lot with the environment that can support what you're doing with the character.

Those are just a couple things that you can keep in mind when you're doing this stuff. The mastery of the paintbrushes and techniques will grow as you practice and get used to the software. Keep it up!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Camiam321 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.