How to learn art alone

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to learn art alone

Hello everyone,
    I would like to start learning art but currently don't have time to go to university.
    I would like to start learning alone and would like some guidance.
    In what order should I learn the subjects? Should I learn history and periods first? After this to learn techniques? What techniques to learn?

Thank you very much,
    Or.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just draw draw draw and then draw some more. Go nuts and paint something too. Just stay curious and try to understand how the artists you admire work. Copy, study life, draw from your imagination and repeat.

It'll take some years but the results will be pleasing.

Watching dvd's and educational videos really helps you getting a better workflow - I suggest you get those videos from Massive black as soon as possible

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying it's impossible to learn alone but there's such a monstrously huge upside to learning in a classroom situation.

At the time I really didn't understand why my school had a mandatory attendance policy because I was an adult paying good money for the class. I was thinking why should they care when I show up as long as I'm there producing and attending the critiques. But with a bit of wisdom later down the road I realized that if I were IN class, I could actually learn from observation of my peers (the good and the bad) as well as getting it from the instructor.

And now that I teach I'm a huge advocate for learning through observation, not just in my classroom but by watching others in other departments as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are interested in painting things that look like what they look like ("contemporary realism" or whatever anyone wants to call it) then I would suggest you have a look at

http://www.thecardermethod.com/

Mark Carder's method needs a lot of patience but his students are doing superb work right from the start, so much so that many people simply don't believe that a beginner can do what they are doing. But they do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your responds.
    Do you have links for sites that teach you art?
    I'm looking to learn theory and techniques as well.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya the only way is to practice , but i think in a final stage you still got to finish an art school or get someone to teach you , cuz you cant find out everything on your own

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have learnt to draw by myself. I just draw whenever I get the chanse - and I think I can say my stuff looks decent, but I am nothing compared to many guys here on this site.

I thought I should not go to an art-school, this because what if something happened to me, like if I lost my drawing arm? Then I might not have so much to fall back at. What I decided was that I studied in regular school and did art on my spare time. Right now I am studying my second year trying to become an evolutionary biologist at the university.

So it's not impossible to learn art even if you don't go to an art-school or such.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you loose your drawing arm you start drawing with the other arm and so on ... it could take a while but if art is within you nothing can stand in the way of it getting out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by flamable View Post
    If you loose your drawing arm you start drawing with the other arm and so on ... it could take a while but if art is within you nothing can stand in the way of it getting out.
    Yeah, but just in case. And if I get a job as an artist I can do it on my spare time. Then I can still have my other job and get more money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

I'm from Taiwan, which is a place lack of advacned movie related industry neither game industry. I've made up my mind to become a concept artist approximately half years ago when I first saw a Gnomxn tutorial DVD. Within this half year, I've worked so hard to figure out how to get closer to my dream. Here is it, study abroad or learn by myself here to make a decent portfolio to get in the film/game industry.

How to learn art alone

Is it really worthy to study abroad? Student loan could put a huge pressure on me once I graduate. As a matter of fact, portfolio sings the loudest in this industry. It is not a sure thing that entering an art school would have an excellent portfolio once you graduate, isn't it? ahh.. this really drives me crazy...

ConceptArt.Org Atelier seems like a affordable choice for me, but unfortunately, they don't open for international student.

Maxthemutt seems like focusing more on animation and illustration than Trans/Industrial Design.

I wanna have the ability to do concept art/matt painting/3D. I can definetly learn a lot from the DVD that Gnomxn offers. And the cost is way low than study abroad. But, there will be something I cannot gain from learning with classmates together in the classroom.

ahh...
    Has anyone really gotten success in this industry but not entering any art school? Really appreciate your precious advice.

(sorry abt my poor English )

Last edited by Houston Hsieh; February 14th, 2008 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    I thought I should not go to an art-school, this because what if something happened to me, like if I lost my drawing arm? Then I might not have so much to fall back at.
    Goofiest reasoning ever.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Goofiest reasoning ever.
    Yeah I know. Oh well, the real reason is that there's no art-schools where I live.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A major mistake a lot of artists do is that they copy other peoples artwork and NOT actual object/creatures etc. While this may help you in some ways, it will also hinder you, as you will simply be imitating a style, limiting your own voice. I spent many years drawing from How To Draw books, and the result was that I could draw well, but I had zero individuality. Now, I still do studies. I love to draw masters drawings and I often do studies of Beatrix Potter works, because it compliments my style. But the primary study is drawing from life and photographs.

If art school is cost prohibitive, I suggest you still go to college, at least earn an AA degree at a super cheap community college, to get an education and also benefit from some structure.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to UrsusArctos,
    Thank you, man. I will spend more time preparing a decent protfolio and figure out my next step. Good luck for both of us!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    frank frazetta lost his drawing arm from a stroke. now he draws with his left hand and his works done with the left hand actually values a lot more than the ones he did with his right.

im glad i went to art school, although there is a horrible spot in the back of my mind thinking about the money i owe. however, if i didn't go to art school, i wouldn't have know where to start.

i suggest for those of you who are doing this on your own, look up fine art practices!! practice with traditional mediums such as charcoal and acrylic/oil paints! master your values first then move on to color theory.

learning fine art theories will help you immensely with your works.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lightmar View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I would like to start learning art but currently don't have time to go to university.
    I would like to start learning alone and would like some guidance.
    In what order should I learn the subjects? Should I learn history and periods first? After this to learn techniques? What techniques to learn?

Thank you very much,
    Or.
    hello lightmar.
    The best way to study - and to learn, is to follow the light that is in your own spirit. Be alone and quiet - and think about what art means to you.
    When you use the word 'ART' what is it - that comes first into your mind?
    Let *that* be where you begin your research, and your study, and let it take you, wherever you feel inspired to follow.

You write 'History' first, in your question, something draws you to history of art? There are many excellent books, and other resources to dip into - it may be among them - that you discover your own path, and your fellow travellers.

Pongopoo.

Members who have read this thread: 4