n00b here
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: n00b here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

n00b here

hi, so, I'm new, and I'm pretty much a failed artist, but I always love drawing, and this seemed the best place to get some help and tips and stuff because I'd really like to improve on just about everything since my artwork sucks a lot ^^;

anyway, this is a fanart I drew back in October. I hope fanarts are okay to post here. I usually draw fanarts because I'm so bad at drawing that it's easier for me to follow an existing piece, rather than coming up with something original since proportions are hard, but I would really like to be able to start drawing more original artwork one day.

The concept is a sick daughter who's in pain (not anything major, it could be anything, like a bad cough, or an ear-infection, sore throat, strep, you get the idea) and her mother just sitting by her bedside, watching, knowing she can't do anything to help her.

It's drawn in anime style, but I did try to keep it more to realism, just I find eyes hard to draw realistically (and considering that the characters are anime anyway, since that was my model) and the hair also ended up following that style to, though in the second panel, I tried giving it more volume.

I know it's not even worth blowing your nose on, but I'd really like to know how I could improve, if you guys would be willing and kind enough to help me.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Geez, you're here to learn, don't trash your own art! You'll end up getting discouraged! Just keep drawing. The first thing I would start with is real people with real anatomy. I know, anime is fun, but even the greatest manga artists started with real people. Pick up an anatomy book and let 'er rip. You might want to start up a sketchbook thread here and get constant critiques to better yourself. Draw everyday and you'll see great improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup I think we all agree that beating yourself up will get you nowhere. let us beat you up . That way you can save time for growing more and developing your artistic talents. Of course we also here to help you back up again after beating you up XD. Nasstika brings a good point and it is something that even the best of us still do to get better. The only real solution is to practice, practice, practice. As Nasstika advised, grab an anatomy book, a sketchbook, a pencil, some coffee, and start copying an understanding what your seeing. The more you take in and process the more you will be able to pull form your head as you go on in your career.

Your concept is clear we instantly know what is going on even without your narration, which is good. The thing that will help the most is more study. Learning little tips here and there on anatomy, perspective, figure drawing, and putting them all together will help any image by leaps and bounds.

So don't fret. Just move on ahead.

Last edited by Pesmerga_2501; February 7th, 2008 at 07:37 PM.
    "Please sit down, stay awhile" My current threads:

Character Mood

--

行く手の風がある日に
    Yukute no kaze ga aru hi ni

Come visit me in my own personal hell!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys very much for your encouragment and help ^^ I'll definitely be taking your advice and start up a sketch thread (once I have sketches to show) and practice drawing the human body -- though, is it true that the only way to be a good artist is if you've mastered drawing the complete human body with no clothes on? That's something I heard, and I always wondered if it's true.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kaibasgirl View Post
    is it true that the only way to be a good artist is if you've mastered drawing the complete human body with no clothes on? That's something I heard, and I always wondered if it's true.
    There are alot of different ways to become a "good artist." Though basic mastery of human mechanics is essential, there have been great artists who prefered studying the clothed figure over the nude figure (Howard Pyle for example.)

It's less a matter of what your doing in what order, so long as your doing something and trying to get all you can out of it.

"Can't stop, won't stop...Don't even know how to stop."

Rock on man!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kaibasgirl View Post
    I'm pretty much a failed artist, but I always love drawing
    If you haven't quit, you haven't failed yet. You don't fail until you actually, totally quit forever or die. Until then you gave up for a bit.

is it true that the only way to be a good artist is if you've mastered drawing the complete human body with no clothes on? That's something I heard, and I always wondered if it's true.
    Not exactly. Being able to draw nekkid humans from your head would be incredibly helpful though*. Might as well train the skill, no?

*If only so that you can then clothe these figures in historically accurate gear or whatever's needed etc..

Last edited by Flake; February 13th, 2008 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    If you haven't quit, you haven't failed yet. You don't fail until you actually, totally quit forever or die. Until then you gave up for a bit.
    psh. maybe for you. I'll draw from beyond the grave!

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Members who have read this thread: 1