Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IDW #60: Crop Harvester

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #60: Crop Harvester

Topic: Crop Harvester

Background: Basically, design and draw a harvester that harvests the farmers crop. As usual, a couple of restrictions:

The first point is, and I know it's tempting, but I don't want to see something like 'Death's harvester' or some other methaphorically interpreted harvester. This machine is for the down-to-earth farmer, to aid him/her in harvesting the crops out there in the field.

This said, it can be any kind of crop and/or farmer. The crop can range from potatoes, thealeaves to lotus blossoms, and the farmer can be of the Elfish kind or just be the modern woman who gets the job done. It's up to you.

Secondly, this doesn't necessarily has to be a complete vehicle. It can also be a handheld device or floating robot, or even a horse-drawn device. Go wild I'd say

Since I'll have this deadline on my Sunday afternoon again to prevent me from having to do this while I'm half asleep, the time you have for this topic is a little longer than usual. I expect the results to match the extra time

Brief:
    1. Design and draw a Crop Harvester!
    2. It can be a vehicle, hand held device or horse drawn device, it's up to you.
    3. Think about what kind of crops the machine is going to harvest, and what kind of farmer is going to use the harvester.
    4. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Saturday February 16

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm...

- My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting... I don't usually do IDOW but I think that I have a neat idea.
    one Q though? does this need to be a technical drawing i.e. specs and stuff of can it be a depiction of the harvester in use?

"How do you afford your rock and roll life style?"

sketchy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaseybickley View Post
    interesting... I don't usually do IDOW but I think that I have a neat idea.
    one Q though? does this need to be a technical drawing i.e. specs and stuff of can it be a depiction of the harvester in use?
    i suggest looking back through the last few topics. usually the final pieces range from purely technical depictions, to compositions to a little of each.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, will do.

"How do you afford your rock and roll life style?"

sketchy

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    would a head harvesting vehicle or something just as unrealistic also be suitable? I know its not at all practical, but could produce some interesting results

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mcaseybickley: Yep Legato basically answered it already As long as the idea is clear and showed in a decent rendering of whatever sort it's fine.

Grenogs: That is what I meant with the 'Death's harvester', I want you to focus on something agricultural. So the crop would basically be a vegetable of some kind, although flowers or leaves are included as well. Heads are not among these I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIPs

Some very basic sketches:

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm diggin these topics, i'll see what I can come up with.

You can work now and play later, or play now and work later.

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think ill try this one

think itll be sideview (!)

2 reasons..

#1 - i suck at machinery

#2 - i can show how it works better on sideview

Hmm idea here
    -- The Seaweed Harvester--

Last edited by Joey-b; February 8th, 2008 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My idea is an automated grape harvester. There are actually two types of robots involved in the grape harvesting. One picks the grapes from the vines, while the other recieves and delivers the grapes to a refinery. The robots operate independantly, and navigate with GPS and built in cameras.
    The picker rotates on it's axis once every 15 seconds, so it's constantly grabbing fruit from the vines. The reciever leaves for the refinery once it's internal weight machine calculates that the bin is full.

Last edited by timothee; February 17th, 2008 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grenogs: Not a problem

Joey-B: I think if you find a decent reference image for the fishers boat and play around with it, a perspective view would really make it look more interesting. I think a sideview on your idea would not present it in the best way possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi - but the barrel wouldnt be vissble if i would do something in 3d,.. hmm ill c what i can do for ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a rapid hand-drawn sketch I made yesterday. (Damn, I really need a scanner, I can't continue taking pictures of my drawings with a camera -_-)

My machine is a snail harvester (for food or something, I know you said vegetables but I think snails would do, advise me if it is not the case). It is pulled by a kind of squidy elephant and the arms work with a simple cog system (would be hard to re-create in reality but its drawing so I can do wathever I want )

I shall now start the real thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joey-B: Shallow waters..would keep the drum visible. And a side view somewhere in the corner to complete the idea If you can pull off a nice side view it's fine though.

XXITheWorld: Yeah I think snails are allowed, it still has something to do with the agricultural theme. Although you don't have to make a working prototype of the machine, I think making it believable is still important. I think it'd look better if you tried giving it a sort of mechanism that makes it look as if the arms could move instead of leaving them as just sticks with joints.

By the way, it appears my internet server is undergoing some maintenance, which makes it a bit unreliable this weekend. I'm not sure when they'll finish, so it might be I can't answer questions in the coming days. I think (and hope ) they'll be ready this Sunday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the arms, I was thinking about some kind of rope/small cogs device inside of them (The outside would be some sort of tube), but an outside mechanism could be interesting to draw, I'll have to try this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoitisi - well.. as u probably know.. im no good at technical stuff so itll be a sideview i think (also time is an issue).. sorry maybe next time when the topic isnt so hard (for me anywayz)

ow and side note, its a good thing for me to even start on these kinda things cause there way outta my leageu hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just thought i would post in my towel throwing

my brainstorms were actually detrimental for the topic, because i've now stumbled on a plot device and environment for something amazing... unfortunately the design for the harvester is really complicated and i have another more pressing idea floating around that i need to get too.

good luck all, see you next round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sigh* I don't think I can make it either...

- My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Mark Bot is offline full of gears and wires Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's the sketches i got for right now. working out the idea of a futuristic berry gathering system.

technology? antigravity chambers/propulsion. and an articulating arm array to pick berries. Relatively automated so the farmer can work more on developing better fertilizers and pest control systems instead of spending all his time picking berries.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gus - I like the how things are looking I think the robot harvester was perhaps the most predictable (certainly is what my mind went towards) but I like the direction you've taken it in. It's almost alienly different from traditional designs.

Joey-B - I'm not sure how things are going with your design but I thought that the represented scale might be a challenge to show with your design that a boat might look very small when compared to the distance needed to get the harvester to the sea-floor (like you have with traditional fishing trawls). Maybe a harvester for floating kelp or Sargasso(?) seaweed might work or concentrate on the towed portion and make it a sled like harvesting machine (more than just a drum). I like the originality to the idea though so I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I don't have much experience with industrial design, so I thought this would be a great way to gain some.

I realize this currently doesn't look like much, but my concept is swarm of harvesters that when not in use compact down into a simple cylinder for ease of storage and recharging. This is obviously the compact form. I'll update later with the expanded version with explanations of it's various features, and then a sheet showing the transformation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a freelance gig last minute, so i'll have to wait till later on this week to post something.
    Gus- interesting design you got going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just showing that I'm taking interest...
    I know I suck...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    asmodie, you've inspired me.
    This is my first anything-of-the-week and I'm excited to see what I can produce with a little prodding.
    These are a few sketches mostly derived from my research last Sunday into how a real farm harvester, or in this case the super-useful 'combine', actually operates.
    My idea for the IDW is to take the basic design and scale it up ridiculously, probably not a terrible guess at how real harvesters of the nearish future might look. Mostly I want lots of reference to rely on for my little baby steps into this game.

Since I'm trying for a huge scale effect, I'm trying to figure out the best composition (or at least a solid one) for this kind of thing. Keep eye level kind of low, I'm thinking. Maybe a wide angle lens type thing? Definitely include figures. I dig those farm tire treads!
    Hopefully the whole idea of a super-gigantic-farm-combine-of-the-near-future is within the parameters of the exercise...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm Goin For It!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asmodie: Hey there

Vorp: Yep go for it I say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the subject of composition for this kind of thing...
    Are there any 'rules to remember' (per say) when picking camera position and orientation for a rendering? Obviously, you want to show off the most unusual or interesting aspects of the design. And above all make it clear, right?
    For a giant object, are there particular guidelines for choosing convincing and/or compelling camera angles? If this thread is not intended for this kind of discussion I apologize.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.