Sketchbook: Vhan's Sketchbook.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vhan's Sketchbook.

Hey!

Thanks for checking my sketchbook! This is my first one here on the forums, and I hope that I can get as much advice here as I can to get better. I have been working a little bit in a 3D program when I find the free time, but I spend most of my extra time with a pencil-n-sketchbook. My new favorite is chineese brush painting, I JUST started!

Attached Images Attached Images                                        
    Last edited by Vhan Juju; February 13th, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little side note, those two "chineese brush paintings" are my two VERY FIRST!

Obsidian Glynn is offline Not the sharpest crayon in the tool shed are we? oh wait...
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're very good with the human body. Maybe on the woman you can add a bit more musculature. Not all women are perfectlt soft with no muscle what so ever. So define the muscle abit more like on the leg thats crossed.

Your Chinese Brush paintings are very good for your first. You just keep working and put up more! He he.
    Good work!!

(Also sorry if my advice is something you don't want to hear. I'm really more of a photographer but I draw some and I am a woman....so it does annoy me sometimes when men draw women perfectly soft with no muscle showing where there should be.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Glynn,

Perfect woman-isn't exactley my style either so I enjoy the advice!

Thanks for stoping by! I'm going to try and update my SB next monday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya.. anatomy wise I feel that you'd benefit much more from studying the overall body proportion using a simplified human form (e.g. http://fineart.sk/photos/figure/026.JPG ) instead of the detailed skeletal studies.. stuff like how wide the rib cage is in proportion to the hips or head to shoulders for example.. rib_study.jpg has some flaws that would be easily fixed from knowledge gained from the general study of proportion.. that being said, I think your bone_study.jpg is pretty good tho..

using grids in portrait drawing is a useful method as well to train your eyes in seeing proportion errors.. analyse the parts in relation to each other - and not just using the grid to perfectly make a carbon copy of a picture.. analysis is key.. understand the structure of what you're drawing, and soon with lots of practice you'll be able to draw it off the top of your head..

Looking forward to more updates, cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Updates

Thanks for stopping buy! I'll have to check that link out from somewere else, as my school has it blocked by sonicwall...bleh.

This is the only thing that I could draw this weekend due to a english research paper on violent video games!

Its not the best, expectually the face. But in the picture he had a pretty unique stance so it was a challange for me to get it right with that puffy coat, and the fur lineing. Overall there is a lot of conflict in my perspective, and that doesn't help either...I'll proabley work in it a little more in the future and post it again in the future!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't had any updates, because I have been gone for allmost a week, but I promise to get some stuff posted again pertty soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your drawing keeps improving. plz produce more coz i recon u are geting closer to geting proportions right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment phoenicorn, I'll be drawing as much as possible, but unfortunatily "as much as possible" isn't as much free time as I would like!

I'll work with it, right now I have actually been doing some work in my much negelected 3d program (I'm running lightwave) maybe I'll post a few of those up here later.

Chanses are good I'm just going to compleatley drop chineese brush painting, I'm trying to do way to many things as it is right now!

Ps- I'm really hateing charcoal! how can anybody use this stuff!? lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for stopping by my sb. your off to a good start here. i would suggest doing more anatomy studies and drawing more from life. try to make sure you get all the proportions and structure of the form right. i'd also suggest putting lighter lines down first until the picture is nearly finished because if you have to erase lighter lines will vanish much easier than really dark lines. possibly focus on taking a life drawing class. or just draw from life as much as you can. this website will also help you w/ poses and whatnot.

http://www.posemaniacs.com/pose/thirtysecond.html

also i'd also suggest picking up either bridmans or a loomis book on the human body. both are really good for reference and to learn more.

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New 3d image "Gas Man"

I made this guy as part of Seedlings #2 Assignment on her "game industry" link/thread! I'll admint that I didn't spend my polygons as well as I should have...but overall I kinda like it! Feel free to crit!

thesadpencil-thanks for stopping by! and for the website too! I can't really take a life drawing class untill I get out of highschool, so I'll look into that at collage...but do you have any advice on a place I could hang out to draw from life? Resturants? Playgrounds? the Lunch table at school, any ideas on ideal spots would be nice. In my town there isn't a bus, or subway tough! I got a human anatomy book "Anatomy for the artist" but, apparentley is isn't as good as bridmans, I'll see if I can't find one of those the next time im at the bookstore!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

N'other dump

Just some more random stuff I did. A couple of charcoals, but I don't think I'll be doing very many more of those, I just don't like the medium, and I don't see any reason to forse myself to like it at this point. A sketch of my DS, to get a handle on the tech side of drawing, and a REALLY bad figure study, that the only reason I'm posting is because later I can see more inprovement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good.

Keep up those anatomy studies, and drawing from life; that's the best way to improve quickly. One thing that's fun and great practice is to hang out w/ a sketchbook at coffeeshops and draw the people sitting down, or ordering drinks. Parks are good too, or really any public place where people congregate. The tricky part is picking people who aren't going to move as soon as you start drawing...

The 3D stuff is a great start, but I think you might have better luck if you start with some good reference images and try to work in perspective view as much as possible (I find that working too much in the ortho views can lead to boxiness in the model, and other weird proportional issues.). Another thing I would recommend is closely studying the way light interacts with different materials such as cloth, metal, etc... This will really help when it comes to texturing your models, and creating the materials.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah man i'd agree with voxelfog good, your off to a great start! As boring as it sounds stick to reference pictures, people etc etc and copy them as much as possible. Make referencing your friend. After scribbling a thousand times you're bound to get better =)

Just draw your ass off. Whatever you do, don't -- stop -- drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really? For some reason I thought that useing too many photos for refrence (for 2d drawing) would stump you if you did it too much! thanks for getting that cleared up for me guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start. However, while using references is great. Do NOT use them 'as much as possible.' Drawing from photos is a good substitute if you don't have access to much life drawing for one reason or another but you should always make room for drawing from your mind. Because at the end of the day, that's where your stuff will come from. Build your skills and memory with references, but these should only be to aid your drawings not to form them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

O, ok, thanks for clearing that up!

thanks PG, will do. thanks for clearing that up for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vhan, thought I'll stop by and help ya, First I'll start off saying I'll like you samurai. I see your focusing on you anatomy. But I see proportion problems you need to work on. Look at Riven Pheonix vid (seems like he took all his lesson down but you can purchase em). Think of the body in basic shapes, but always, ALWAYS, be aware of proportions when doing them. The more your aware of proportions the easier it comes to you. Also practice proportions using photos will help, be 100 percent aware of them. Using lines, use rulers if you have to. Then move on to gestures and life drawings.
    Good Luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Ok, thanks, Looks like I'll be working with static poses for a while...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, updates comeing soon, nothing too impressive, but enoughf to keep me going. I'm going to go ahdead and drop some of my modeling because when I get to collage I won't be useing lightwave, and I'm gonna have to figure out maya, so I'll be focusing on my drawing now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, some more of my random work. One page is just some random "goth" oriented things that I just drew to try and get myself more fammilliar with drawing without reference. Same with the wierd "tree house" thing. A charcoal study on male body musles, and that other really cool clean looking one of the samurai armor, yea, thats not mine origionally in case you cant tell i stole that from Soul Caliber

I'm also gonna pose a samurai I have been working on in the crit forum, so if you don't get enoughf criting me here tear me aprart there too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I deleted this post because my resolution was all funky, so lol, work on it later.

Last edited by Vhan Juju; May 7th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there nice SB. Try and draw from this if you want to improve some anatomy and drawing the human body it has helped me alot http://www.posemaniacs.com/blog/pose/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hate 'ta tell ya but somebody allready beat ya to that site lol, thanks tho!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for coming by my book. I have to disagree a little bit with Perin. When you're starting out, you should just focus on practicing good "seeing." Take time and just really examine your subject. Only after drawing a ton of poses and human anatomy this way will you eventually be able to draw from your mind - the ultimate goal.

But to get there you have to draw from ref, so use it would be my advice.

For an example of exceedingly good seeing - check out Emily G.'s book. Crazy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good "seeing" huh...Yea, I can see that, and my lack of it. BTW, when I was looking at you SB your second picture, the one of the woman. If you happend to get that out of an anatomy book, then we have the same one.

And my drawing of that woman, on the black paper in white pencil, I think THAT is the same picture, and we both drew it...so I can see some major differences in our ability to see...wow...thats awesome...

Edit: its actually the 5th picture, the one were you said "dog ate my SB" Lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, yup, that's the same anatomy book. That book has some really well lit photos of male and female models so keep drawing from it. Maybe draw every single photo out of it, but first actually measure everything. It's slow and cumbersome, but it will help. It's the technical practice I'm just starting for myeself, actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Measure everything? I haven't treid that one yet, but I can see how that would help with gettting a little mental idea of porportions.

Lol, I'm going to be kepping up with you SB from now on, and try to work myself up into your level, or at least compare myself with you, anyway.

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go study a few of your drawings, and compare them with mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ok, more of a rant than anything here.

Ok, so I have recentley decited that I was actually going to [wow check this out...wait for it..!] Actually take some time on my pictures, step away from my "rapid studies" and try to see a idea out from start to finish...

Unfortuneitley, I'm a noob so that means that I am extremely slow at doing this, so bear with me (I'm talking days here) =gulp=

Maybe this way I can actually get some things in my SB that are actually WORTH looking at

So, I'll be drawing "ideas" now, instead of "things" and hopefully the end result will not give you the urge to rip your eyes out, drown in your own blood and send me packing to deviantart in discrase.

-Thank you so far & I hope to get some things started soon...even if it is rather slow...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, by recomendations would be, as you said, take more time to do your drawings, and second, try to make them "cleaner". Almost every sketch is blurred, and I think it is whatever you are using to actually draw them. Stick with a good old thin pencil for your studies. For my sketches, I usually use a mechanical pencil, since I can get in fine details with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.